How about an American fixed blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swigert

Re: How about an American fixed blade?

Post by swigert »

Definitely in on this. Would love a hard use made in USA fix blade.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

For sure, I can dream though. I would like to see a chopper in the lineup. I like big knives too. I realize it is a niche but there are a few companies selling tons of them and Spyderco makes a few niche items. I would be happy with 5160 or if Spyderco wants to be different maybe some other steel. S7 could make a rediculously tough knife.

Bark River is selling the Dark Timber Grizzly as soon as they make them. I believe they are only selling by preorder. I have almost snagged one off the exchange a couple times. They are going for $350 to $400 and seem to be selling well.

The Darn Dao looks cool but also pricey. I am gonna try to get one but it isn't quite the hard use big knife I am thinking of. I would like to see something more utilitarian.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Great points Darby. I was just thinking out loud...not trying to dismiss the idea. I probably shouldn't do that when we're brain storming.

Yeah, there are ranges in the chopper realm, from a Junglas type alternative, to the high end stuff with sexy steels.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
bearfacedkiller

No, you make a valid point and I would never want Spyderco to make a poor business decision just so I can have what I want. There are plenty of knife makers who can make a one off if I want one. I do not think that a premium chopper is gonna sell like hot cakes but I doubt that many of the other niche Spyderco designs do either. The Nirvana, Warrior and I am sure others are likely low volume sellers and seem like niche knives.

It would seem like the vast majority of the large knives (9-12 inches) out there are basic carbon steel in the $75-$150 range and that is likely all most people want to spend on a chopper and battoner (froe) in case failure happens. Those are rough and often abusive tasks. There is probably a limited number of folks who would choose to use a more expensive knife in that role. I have a screw loose and I am one of those folks. :D I think a lot of the allure of that Grizzly is that it is elusive and dead sexy. I don't know how many people are actually using them hard.

I have found that for me a 9 inch knife that weighs about a pound is a very useful tool in the woods and when camping. A knife like that in a steel that falls in the range of 3V to M4 would have my quite interested.

All that said, a more practical knife like a 5 inch hunter/survival knife would probably make more sense and sell much better. I don't want to take over the thread so I want to hear what others would like to see.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

bearfacedkiller wrote:...

I have found that for me a 9 inch knife that weighs about a pound is a very useful tool in the woods and when camping. A knife like that in a steel that falls in the range of 3V to M4 would have my quite interested.

All that said, a more practical knife like a 5 inch hunter/survival knife would probably make more sense and sell much better. I don't want to take over the thread so I want to hear what others would like to see.
I would rather have a 5" blade in 4V/3V/Cruwear/M4 than a big chopper, but there was talk about a Spyderco version of the Ankerson/Sanders camp knife, possibly in 10V, which has about a 7" blade IIRC. I don't know if that is in the works, or where it would be made. I have the Sanders-made custom in 4V with terotuff handle and it is AWESOME. Fabulous cutter and great design. Not quite where your 9" blade needs to be, but even there, 9" and not too heavy (16oz sounds about right) is a good large camp knife that I'd be interested in as long as it was not heavier than that. Got more choppers than I need already. My first choice would still be a 4-5" blade in 4V/3V/Cruwear/M4 (I don't mean a laminate either :D ) with the profile of a Military and suitably sized handle.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Many of the Mules used to be made in Golden as were the Swicks.

If I am remembering correctly the Pygmy Warrior was the last Golden made fixed blade although it was a specialized design.

What other Golden made fixed blades were there?
I think you pretty much corralled them all from what I can remember BFK. That's why it would be so cool for Spyderco to take their first, top notch, IN HOUSE design and do at least a Sprint Run of the TEMPERANCE 1 model in either M-4, M390, 110V or any of Crucible's or Carpenter's blade steels. But to do it in PE & SE like they did the original VG-10 run of the middle of the 2000 decade.

That is really a head scratcher for me as to why the plant at GOLDEN doesn't do more fixed blades I've truly thought about that along with the fact that they've never done a Hawkbill either for that matter :confused:
bearfacedkiller

dogrunner wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:...

I would rather have a 5" blade in 4V/3V/Cruwear/M4 than a big chopper, but there was talk about a Spyderco version of the Ankerson/Sanders camp knife, possibly in 10V, which has about a 7" blade IIRC. I don't know if that is in the works, or where it would be made. I have the Sanders-made custom in 4V with terotuff handle and it is AWESOME. Fabulous cutter and great design. Not quite where your 9" blade needs to be, but even there, 9" and not too heavy (16oz sounds about right) is a good large camp knife that I'd be interested in as long as it was not heavier than that. Got more choppers than I need already. My first choice would still be a 4-5" blade in 4V/3V/Cruwear/M4 (I don't mean a laminate either :D ) with the profile of a Military and suitably sized handle.
Thanks man, I sort of forgot about that one. I read Jim's review of his and it looks great. Sign me up!
-Darby
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Shelter Cove in CPM154? Please! :)
Yes please!

A filet knife in LC200N would be fantastic too.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

What about Gringo's collab? Haven't heard what it is (I might be able to guess-ish), nor have I seen a pic. Didn't someone see it at Blade Show? Maybe Lance has seen it? Lol ;)
- Mark

Eee

Post by Eee »

I think there is a gap in Spyderco's range when it comes to larger knives. There is a lot of competition in that area; ESEE, Becker, Busse, Fehrman and more, but fortunately there seems to be enough of a market to keep these brands afloat.

Spyderco would need to come out with something distinctively theirs to stand out, with steels which suit this sort of use like S7 A8mod or CPM-3v. I'd suggest something like a collaboration with Guy Stainthorp to produce this sort of thing (in 3v)

https://edgematters.uk/gallery/image/17 ... older-eee/
sal

Post by sal »

We have 2 in-the-works.

sal
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

I would like to see a large Bowie knife collaborated with James Keating. Big blade with a big guard, pistol grip handle would be exciting.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

^^ Casual bomb shell alert!
- Mark

vivi

Post by vivi »

Eee wrote:I think there is a gap in Spyderco's range when it comes to larger knives. There is a lot of competition in that area; ESEE, Becker, Busse, Fehrman and more, but fortunately there seems to be enough of a market to keep these brands afloat.

Spyderco would need to come out with something distinctively theirs to stand out, with steels which suit this sort of use like S7 A8mod or CPM-3v. I'd suggest something like a collaboration with Guy Stainthorp to produce this sort of thing (in 3v)

https://edgematters.uk/gallery/image/17 ... older-eee/
I have a Scrapyard Dogfather in S7 and that is one tough steel. Taken that knife through **** and back and its still got decades in it.
:unicorn
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I can only hope for a good stainless utility hunting knife. Big knives and choppers or fighting knives never get much use. They end up on ebay or in a safe. When I hunt I want something that can skin game like elk and deer and that can also do camp choirs. Big knives and axes get left behind when back packing. A good fixed blade, folding knife and pack saw are all the blades I ever take with me. I have a Gayle Bradley Beaver creek chopper M4 and it never goes anywhere because its to big to heavy and has limited uses. Same goes for my Winkler Axe. My hope is stainless for easy field maintenance CTS 204p or S110v or anywhere in between. Something with good edge retention for long trips.
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Another vote for a M4 fixed blade made in the US. Would like a smaller EDC fixed blade for actual use, but I will be tempted to get my first chopper if the Gayle Bradley's design is made!
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Rubber handles like the horse stall mat on my custom Gayle Bradley would be awesome. Love rubber handles.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mic1 wrote:Rubber handles like the horse stall mat on my custom Gayle Bradley would be awesome. Love rubber handles.
I like that material. I would definitely like a custom fillet with that type of handle but I believe Sal said it was a PITA to work with in a production setting.
Last edited by Surfingringo on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Nice
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

There are several great ideas in this thread, and I would definitely be down for any of the following that were already mentioned:

- Shelter Cove
- BFK's 5 inch Drop Point Hunter concept
- Classic Bowie
- Fixed Military with adjusted blade to handle ratio

I also like JD's idea of an updated Temperance 1, but it sounds unlikely that it would come out of Golden. Something like a PE FFG Jumpmaster 2 in LC200N would make one **** of a knife.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.