Para 3 handle scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rave

Para 3 handle scales

Post by Rave »

New to the forum and wanting to see if anyone on here knows where I can purchase custom handle scales? I've done a lot of searching on line and found some I'd like to buy but not sure how to purchase them! Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!
Also I tried to attach a photo of what I'm looking for but the file is to large, the scales I found were silver twill carb fiber if that helps.
Ti Rod Tactical

Re: Para 3 handle scales

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

Here's one place:

http://www.bladescales.com/product/para3-scales/

Files are often too large to load here, but if you use the partial "Paint" program included with Windows on your PC, you can lower the file size using the "Reduce" function, and then save it. I usually reduce to 60%, and it's usually enough to now load. If not go back and reduce again the already reduced new file to 90%, and try again.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

how does one deal with that rivet?
Rave

Post by Rave »

Thank you for the link! They have some that I like but of coarse out of stock on the color I like :rolleyes:
I'll try to get the picture of what I was looking at posted thank you for the info on how to post the pictures!!!

I have no idea on how to get the pins out either I have not take a para3 apart yet, hopefully it's not to bad!!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

greencobra wrote:how does one deal with that rivet?
It's just a pin not a rivet. It's to replace the screw and barrel assembly of the old stop pins. It should just come out when you take the knife apart. Spyderco is using this on the new military and native 5 lw too.
Rave

Post by Rave »

Awesome!!! Thank you for the info!
Rave

Post by Rave »

Has anyone here heard of Shepard CC ? Looks like he makes some really nice handle scales! Any one have experience with him??
sanman28

Post by sanman28 »

VashHash wrote:
It's just a pin not a rivet. It's to replace the screw and barrel assembly of the old stop pins. It should just come out when you take the knife apart. Spyderco is using this on the new military and native 5 lw too.
This. Solves a problem that some have had.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Rave wrote:Has anyone here heard of Shepard CC ? Looks like he makes some really nice handle scales! Any one have experience with him??
I'd be cautious with dealing with him..go check out the thread on him on BF in the GBU.
Josh
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

VashHash wrote:
ahh...i see. thanks for the info! :)
Ti Rod Tactical

Yeah,...as mentioned if the "rivet" you're talking about is the stop pin, that is a non issue and comes out easily. However, the lanyard tube IS a rivet in the sense that it is spread out a bit over the G10 scales, and WILL require some effort to work it free by twisting and pulling. (basically you're using the tube to cut through the G10)

The other issue is even when you free one side, you're left with the other side without something to pull against, so you'll have to grab the center of the tube (it's thicker there) with pliers and use something to protect the tube. I used some scrap leather and a pair of pliers that is curved on both sides and toothed for grip, ....but it still took about 15 minuted to free the 2nd scale.

Oh,...and before you even deal with getting the lanyard tube OUT, you will have to address getting the screws free of the "permanent" red Lock-Tite! I used a hair dryer on hot and high near each screw one at a time for about a minute, and then wrapped the HOT knife with a few layers of a towel to keep from getting a burn as I unscrewed each screw.

So changing scales on these is a bit of a chore in getting the knife apart in the first place! Urgh... My Gayle Bradley's,...both 1 and 2, so far have had NO Lock-Tite ever applied, and the lanyard tube is not flaired out to lock it in. The screws on the GB's are much harder also, as they are very tight yet removing them there is no stripping of the torx slots. (and the hourglass shaped standoffs set "into" the SS liners instead of riding on top of them like on the Para 3.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Ti Rod Tactical wrote:
Yeah,...as mentioned if the "rivet" you're talking about is the stop pin, that is a non issue and comes out easily. However, the lanyard tube IS a rivet in the sense that it is spread out a bit over the G10 scales, and WILL require some effort to work it free by twisting and pulling. (basically you're using the tube to cut through the G10)]
i'm guessing there might be a little damage to the original scales getting that tube free?
Ti Rod Tactical

If your slow and patient,....you should be ok with no scale damage. Basically you're almost filing through the G10,...with a really dull file! Ha!

Once apart, especially if you're changing out scales,...I would definitely remove much of the spread sides of the tube. A Flexible shaft machine with a 1/2" diameter sanding drum would do it quickly, and in a controlled manner if you keep the RPM's down. This will make any future disassembly's a piece of cake.
Rave

Post by Rave »

Thank you for the info on how to get the scales off! That will be a big help for sure!

That's a shame on the Shepard guy cause he has some nice looking stuff but I appreciate the heads up!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Rave wrote:Thank you for the info on how to get the scales off! That will be a big help for sure!

That's a shame on the Shepard guy cause he has some nice looking stuff but I appreciate the heads up!
Have you looked at Cuscadi? They have some really freaking nice looking scales for the Para 3 and in sure could do whatever you wanted.
Josh
Rave

Post by Rave »

No I sure haven't he led them out but I will! I've not heard of them but I'll do a search,thank you for the info!!