Lots Of Wishing What The Para 3 Might Have Been, I Wish No More :-)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ti Rod Tactical

Lots Of Wishing What The Para 3 Might Have Been, I Wish No More :-)

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

Like lots of other knife enthusiasts I also anticipated that the Para 3 would make an ideal EDC for myself and for a high majority of other users. The Paramilitary 2 was just to big in a lot of locations, and even in places where the PM2 was legal, the blade was just long enough to raise some eyebrows at times.

Note: For those of you with limited time or just curious, feel free to page down to the photos :-)

When the Para 3 arrived, I saw all the good that was there, but like a wart on a beautiful face the shortcomings also left me a bit confused. As has been discussed in other threads, on a knife this size the huge lanyard tube looks out of place, both literally and figuratively. Personally, I never use a lanyard on a pocket knife, but some do so at least scaling it back in size seemed an obvious choice. The location was also ill conceived, taking the place of where the pocket clip mounting screws should have been. Nothing new here, as both of these details been discussed many times. I suppose it's easy to miss the little things sometimes with some of them, when new models are constantly coming out.

I suspect these main issues will eventually be corrected down the line with Spyderco's "CQI" (Continuous Quality Improvement) program, but there were a few more areas where I felt the knife could be "tweeked" a bit. I will admit to being a lot pickier than most, and comfortable "ergos" mean a lot to my enjoyment and use of any knife.
.....so I set out to make "my" Para 3 the very best one for ME, incorporating my tastes and desires of what I wanted this knife to be,... with no waiting until some of this gets sorted.

At age 61 I also don't have the "wait time" you younger folks do:-) So I addressed the knife as a wonderful starting point, and changed what was important to me. Some of you might like just some of the changes, or even none at all,.....but for sure I can state the result was well worth the effort,...as it has become a favorite EDC. This was my first compression lock knife also, and I love that about it for sure!

The first thing I did was take the knife apart (using a hair dryer to break the red Lock-Tite), to sand and bevel all the inner and outer G10 scale edges with a 1/2" drum sander in a flexible shaft machine, ...and hand polished the sanded edges with a burnisher. A Magic Marker handle handle will polish the G10 in a controlled way so you don't polish unintended places, but I use a piece of Titanium rod as I have LOTS of it available from my business.

I smoothed off the plunge line edges with the same 1/2" drum sander, (using electrical tape to protect both sides), as well as the area where they met the spydie hole. They were all uncomfortably sharp when opening the knife. The rest of the spydie hole was left with the usual sharpness for best grip even with damp hands. A very small sharpening choil was also added,... smaller than I usually do but I'll try this for now.

I smoothed the sharp edge of the blade release tab, and added a nail groove that comes in handy at times with just a pinch grip of middle finger nail and thumb with the right hand, OR left handed thumb nail and middle finger.

I also felt "my" ideal blade shape could be made a little less intimidating, even on an already short 3" blade. Having hunted big game in my younger days with a compound bow, the Para 3 blade shape reminded me of a big game hunting arrowhead, designed to open a wide wound channel. I know that was not the intent of the blade shape, but that is how my mind saw it, and at the mall Whole Foods store and other places I felt uncomfortable in using it during my meals.

Also, much like the over sized lanyard tube, the fairly large pocket clip commonly used on many of the larger knives looked out of place to my eyes, and was a bit noticeable in the hand creating a bit of a hot spot. I shortened it up, flattened the profile a bit and upturned the new tip end, and smoothed off and rounded all edges. The pocket clip is now "invisible" to the hand! I'm right handed and I the entire clip now disappears into my palm,...I literally can't feel it at all most times! (use a few layers of paper towel material to protect the finish when making angle changes to the clip)

I also moved the 3 holes downward, creating maximum height of the clip to bury as deep as possible in the pocket. Carried IWB ( my preference), it virtually disappears with just a small flap of shirt pulled up as shown in some of the later photos, creating a small flap to cover what little of the knife is exposed. My belt now covers 90% of the clip when carried this way!

The last photo shows where I ended up in cutting off the entire lanyard tube, after smoothing off to get a flat and comfortable end. (in case some of you wish to do the same)

The ergonomics in handling this knife now are fantastic, and even if you love the stock blade, you'll love the rest of the tweeks if you're handy and have the time.

Now if a Para 3 in M4 is ever offered,...that's the ONLY other "change" I have in mind. Just something about a nice patina on a carbon steel blade that calls to me, and I get to do it all again.

....more pics to follow
Attachments
The huge lanyard tube is gone, bringing the clip mounting screws much close to the edge....
The huge lanyard tube is gone, bringing the clip mounting screws much close to the edge....
...the clip has been shortened and looks much more appropriate in size to my eyes. I also moved a set of mounting holes further inward,  to get the clip even higher using a plain SS clip I bought on Ebay...
...the clip has been shortened and looks much more appropriate in size to my eyes. I also moved a set of mounting holes further inward, to get the clip even higher using a plain SS clip I bought on Ebay...
The other major change I made, and strictly a personal preference,. is I gave the spine some curves to make it look less "stabby". Having hunted with a bow in my youth, it appeared to me the blade shape had the same attributes of a good big game hunting arrowhead,...opening up a large wound channel. As this is intended for use in my EDC rotation, and main use at my local eateries,... the blade was changed to what some have seen as the "Stretch" shape. I won't argue with that,...one of my favorite shapes too.
The other major change I made, and strictly a personal preference,. is I gave the spine some curves to make it look less "stabby". Having hunted with a bow in my youth, it appeared to me the blade shape had the same attributes of a good big game hunting arrowhead,...opening up a large wound channel. As this is intended for use in my EDC rotation, and main use at my local eateries,... the blade was changed to what some have seen as the "Stretch" shape. I won't argue with that,...one of my favorite shapes too.
DSC05973 (3).JPG
Considering the placement of the now removed lanyard tube, this is the best shape you will get when maximizing what's left and getting a nice looking butt end. I thought this inside look will save you tinkerer's some time.
Considering the placement of the now removed lanyard tube, this is the best shape you will get when maximizing what's left and getting a nice looking butt end. I thought this inside look will save you tinkerer's some time.
Last edited by Ti Rod Tactical on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Ti Rod Tactical

Re: Lots Of Wishing What The Para 3 Might Have Been, I Wish No More :-)

I'm right handed so the altered pocket clip is on the right side for right hand tip up carry, but I can't work the camera's shutter easily with my left hand. The photos below will have to do, even though they don't show how well the pocket clip now fits into the palm area of my user side RIGHT hand. I can say the smaller clip is NOT noticed by my right hand at all, and would feel the same for your lefties if the clip was on the other side....
Attachments
DSC05988 (2).JPG
DSC05985 (2).JPG
DSC05987 (2).JPG
DSC05975 (3).jpg
This is the absolute best you can get, once the lanyard hole remnants are flattened off, and just enough to mount the now shorter clip. A stock clip can be used also,but the top will need to be trimmed or it will overhang a bit.
This is the absolute best you can get, once the lanyard hole remnants are flattened off, and just enough to mount the now shorter clip. A stock clip can be used also,but the top will need to be trimmed or it will overhang a bit.
Last edited by Ti Rod Tactical on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks for sharing. It's always fun seeing how people mod their Spydercos to suit their preferences better.

Down south I don't ever carry a primary knife smaller than a Pacific Salt. No raised eyebrows when I pull out a Police 3 or even a Szabo :)
:unicorn
Ti Rod Tactical

...a few more showing how discreet carry is possible with this modification. :) In the first photo you can also see the lowered profile of the clip where I slightly hammered out the first bend after the curve at the tip. This angles the clip downward much more than stock, and the clip disappears unnoticed into the palm area, and overall "looks" right to my eyes on a smaller knife.

I had to adjust the angle at the screws area to lay flat and under tension when mounted. I wrap the clip in a few layers of paper towels when making adjustments to protect the finish.
BTW, this was all done on an extra uncoated SS clip I bought off the bay recently.
Attachments
Blade tip recesses fully about 3mm
Blade tip recesses fully about 3mm
IWB my preferred carry, and not much to cover now. My belt covers most of the shortened clip now too!
IWB my preferred carry, and not much to cover now. My belt covers most of the shortened clip now too!
I just pull up an inch or so flap of my shirt, and it covers the top nicely!
I just pull up an inch or so flap of my shirt, and it covers the top nicely!
Even in popular pocket carry not much showing now. With an aftermarket "deep carry" clip installed, the knife would totally disappear into a pocket but the still exposed clip would "hint" at there being a knife there. This is why I still prefer IWB carry, as it's totally hidden!
Even in popular pocket carry not much showing now. With an aftermarket "deep carry" clip installed, the knife would totally disappear into a pocket but the still exposed clip would "hint" at there being a knife there. This is why I still prefer IWB carry, as it's totally hidden!
Last edited by Ti Rod Tactical on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:32 am, edited 8 times in total.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Good job! Looks interesting.
/ David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It looks excellent. Sign me up for the next one. The blade looks Stretch-esque, which is really cool.
By the way, at 61, you have plenty time left.
Thanks for the pics.
Ti Rod Tactical

cabfrank wrote:It looks excellent. Sign me up for the next one. The blade looks Stretch-esque, which is really cool.
By the way, at 61, you have plenty time left.
Thanks for the pics.
Thanks,.. but they do take awhile,....probably 8-9 hours in this overall and the G10 is nasty stuff! I use doubled up dust masks and a towel wrap, but my arms and chest itch a bit afterwards usually. I feel a bit guilty enjoying this so much now, that I'm kinda hoping Sal and crew will work something up similar so most of you will get a chance to see what you've been missing. ;)

Yeah, 61 is not "old", but it's beginning to feel I'm getting real close! I'm a realist, as my mom got Kidney cancer at (doctor estimated) age 62, and finally diagnosed at age 64 and died a week later after they operated but it had spread to her spine. My dad lived longer (77 or so) but had 3 strokes and Prostrate Cancer, and was in a Nursing Home for his last 10 years. I'm hoping to beat both of their ages before I go down for the count.
Last edited by Ti Rod Tactical on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, isn't that cute. I really like how the clip isn't half way down the handle. Nice work.
- best wishes, Jazz.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Nice job, looks a bit like a mini Stretch
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Clip is a win and needs to be added to CQI. Blade shape is a Jester!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Nice!
sanman28

Post by sanman28 »

You made a......stretch.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

para 2.5? I like it, it's like a stretch made a baby with an urban.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Ti Rod Tactical

sanman28 wrote:You made a......stretch.
And here I thought I was simply making a less stabby looking Para 3, but I guess that was a bit of a stretch. ;)
curlyhairedboy wrote:para 2.5? I like it, it's like a stretch made a baby with an urban.
Or maybe a Para 2.75 , the actual blade length now with a 2.5" cutting edge including the very small added sharpening choil.
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Nice work. I like it.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Cool mods! Thanks for taking to time to write them up and share pics!!
:spyder:
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Ti Rod Tactical wrote:...a few more showing how discreet carry is possible with this modification..
That belt looks awfully familiar. Do you remember where you bought it?

My Military sticks out of my back pocket about as much as that para3 seems to in your pic
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Nice looking knife.
Yes, I usually replace clips, make my own, except for wire clips(they are perfect).
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

I applaud your effort, especially since making mods to a knife is uncertain business--we never know if we are going to like them until we do them.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Like a mini stretch. Very cool!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal