Spyderco Ethnic series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pattada

Spyderco Ethnic series

Post by pattada »

I am interested in the Spyderco Ethnic series and the Pattada is the first Spyderco that I bought earlier this month. I have 3 Spydercos now :D How frequent does Spyderco come up with an Ethnic series knife? When will be the next one? Will Spyderco offer the Pattada in a different color handle?
xceptnl

Re: Spyderco Ethnic series

Post by xceptnl »

Generally a few knives show up each year in the ethnic series, though I don't ever recall one being remade in alternate handle options. These knives typically are at a higher price point and don't move in the volumes that the FRN series of knives do. I have a few myself and always look forward to the annual catalog so I can oogle over what Sal and the crew have come up with next.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Sprint runs are based on popularity.
The Persian had several versions, bolsters with red and black and a smaller version too.
Not sure any of the current ethnic series are popular enough to warrant sprints. Although the nilakka did get a mini.
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

A K390 Pattada would be the dream.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Sal refers to the Friction Folder as part of the ethnic series : they're cheap enough now, and I love mine.
jdw

Post by jdw »

krikun98 wrote:A K390 Pattada would be the dream.
This is what I am hoping for too. The Maniago plant did such a great job on the Urban I think that they would just kill it on a Pattada with a K390 upgrade.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Will Spyderco ever do an Irish ethnic knife?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I love the Spyderco Navaja, designed by Ed Schempp. That is one of the greatest of the Spyderco Ethnic Knife series. I love the caracca ratchet mechanism-sound. And the blade shape and structure of the handle = excellent. I wish that would be re-run.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Will Spyderco ever do an Irish ethnic knife?
What knife would that be? I am not familiar with any knife typically referred to as "a Irish knife"
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I was going to leave it to them, but they could do something like an Irish Jack. Picture a dyad with both blades on the same pivot.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Will Spyderco ever do an Irish ethnic knife?
I was thinking of something more like the sgian dubh (although that'd be Scottish). A Seax style knife would be interesting as well.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
paladin

Post by paladin »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I was going to leave it to them, but they could do something like an Irish Jack. Picture a dyad with both blades on the same pivot.
You might be interested in this:

https://nemoknivesreview.com/2017/09/17 ... -ficx2017/
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pattada,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for your interest. The Ethnic series began many years ago with a design from Israel of an ancient Jordan valley model (300 AD). Different makers have designed Ethnic series flders. I've done a couple myself. Ed was working on a Seax. We're always open to suggestions. We often contract Ed to do them because he bothers to do his homework and manages to capture the essence/spirit of the original and he's done some really spectacular interpretations.

sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

sal wrote:Hi Pattada,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for your interest. The Ethnic series began many years ago with a design from Israel of an ancient Jordan valley model (300 AD). Different makers have designed Ethnic series flders. I've done a couple myself. Ed was working on a Seax. We're always open to suggestions. We often contract Ed to do them because he bothers to do his homework and manages to capture the essence/spirit of the original and he's done some really spectacular interpretations.

sal
+1 Sal, Ed's designs are among my favorites but your design/execution of the Pattada is pure perfection.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
pattada

Post by pattada »

sal

Good morning Sal. The Spyderco Pattada is my first Spyderco . I like the Spyderco Pattada so much that I already bought my second Pattada. I think it is the best EDC for me. You did a great job on designing it! I will be waiting for the next Spyderco Ethnic Series knife. Thanks.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

paladin wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:I was going to leave it to them, but they could do something like an Irish Jack. Picture a dyad with both blades on the same pivot.
You might be interested in this:

https://nemoknivesreview.com/2017/09/17 ... -ficx2017/
very nice. Thanks for posting.

thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

farnorthdan wrote:

sal
+1 Sal, Ed's designs are among my favorites but your design/execution of the Pattada is pure perfection.
+1 Maybe a Pattada in K390 down the road?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Sal and others, this may interest you regarding the Ethnic series knives.
I was doing some investigation into ancient edged weapons and tools and I found this from the British Museum: Assyrian Knives. The Assyrians and later Syrians and others in the region appear to have made knives and daggers with curved, semi curved and drop point type blades. Take a look at the attached photos:
AssyrianKnives.gif
AssyrianKnives.gif (9.01 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
These were made first from bronze, and later, iron, and then steel. Damascus Steel was known long before the Dark Ages aka Medieval and Middle Ages period, it originated in India and was transported via the Silk Road by Jewish and other traders and merchants, to Syria where it was nick-named "Damascus Steel" because Damascus was a major trade and merchant city.

Here is a paper I found where the scientists examined the blades of Damascus steel and found there were microscopic carbon nano-wires bonded with the iron matrix that helped give them their properties of extreme sharpness/edge-holding and durability:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... words.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... lback=true

Now, back to the topic, I know you have designed curved blades before, but, I wonder if people would love to see a fixed or folding "Syrian Field Combat Blade" type of knife, based somewhat on those ancient museum finds?

Imagine something like that made using Lc200N or one of these other super steel types?
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

What's the name of that first one, from the Israeli design? I'm American-Israeli and would be interested for curiosity's sake.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
jdw

Post by jdw »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:What's the name of that first one, from the Israeli design? I'm American-Israeli and would be interested for curiosity's sake.
I believe that you are thinking of the Shabaria. Here is a great link to the story.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... y_Shabaria

I think that it is a really unique and beautiful knife.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka