My first dye job. I bought 2 Dragonfly SE Salts, a hawkbill for myself and the other for my sweetie. I was inspired by the KP mods.
I experimented first with white nylon zip ties to try and get dye strength and color correct. I tried IDye Blue, Rit Bluejeans. I tried Food Color with vinegar to try to get the zip ties yellow for better testing. They tended to get Orange instead, but the nylon ties seemed to take the food color dyes very well. Now I have a bunch of Orange, Yellow and Blue zip ties.
The zip ties were only partially useful for color control matching. They showed the IDye blue had more purple than I wanted. They did however allow me to adjust the amount of dye to water ratio.
I was hoping the green would be a little brighter, but I'm satisfied with the outcome
For the iDye, which comes in dissolvable packets, I filled a pint canning jar 3/4 full of water and microwaved it to boiling, dropped the packet in and stirred to make a concentrate. I took another pint jar 3/4 full of water (also heated) and added Tsps of the concentrate and tested with the zip ties till I thought it was about right. I did Not use the Brightener packet as I thought it might be too smelly for my kitchen. The dye itself had a fairly strong odor, so vent fans on.
For the Rit dye, I set up similar, but since this was liquid and in a big bottle I made a less concentrated concentrate in a jar using about 1/4 of the bottle, then proceeded as I did the iDye.
For the Food Color, I used a pint jar and squirted a bunch of yellow in, heated it and added a dash (tablespoon?) of vinegar. I got it too strong to start and had to dilute to make yellow instead of orange.
My procedure with the knives: I used surgical gloves throughout. I used the Rit dye as my choice. I took off the clips, washed the knife with soap and a toothbrush. made sure my pint jars was deep enough for dipping and heated it to boiling just before I dipped. Caution: When I heated (in the micro) for the second knife, I heated too much and must have super-heated it . As soon as the knife touched the water it came to a sudden boil. It didn't boil out of the jar, but could have. To Dip, I held the knife by the blade and dipped to the level I wanted for about a second, then did that again, but not as deep, moving up and down a little less each time and longer as I got close to the end. On one knife, the line between the yellow and the dye was too defined so I used a q-tip with dye to smudge it out a bit. I did not need to reheat until the next knife. When done I ran it under running water and scrubbed with a toothbrush. I finished by making a quick finger Cord for a lanyard and tying it on with some coated net twine.
Other notes. Canninng jars worked great as I didn't need to destroy a pot and just put the lids on when done to save for later. Pint jars were just right for the Dranonflies, but a bigger knife or full immersion would have required larger ones. Also besides the Microwave caution above, I used oven mitts to move the jars around.