what screwdriver to use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pattada

what screwdriver to use?

Post by pattada »

I just got my second Spyderco and it is Para Military 2. I need to change the position of the pocket clip to right hand tip up position. What screwdriver should I use? Thanks.
foofie

Re: what screwdriver to use?

Post by foofie »

T-6 for the screws on the clip.
Might I also suggest - buy a nice screwdriver - it saves you a world of frustration by not stripping any screws.
palonej

Post by palonej »

T6......BUT do not go out and spend $3 on that cheap crap that Home Depot or Lowes has! It's not if they will strip whatever you try to remove.......those things definitely WILL strip whatever they touch!!!
If it was me, I'm ordering Wiha drivers.
Joe
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

palonej wrote:T6......BUT do not go out and spend $3 on that cheap crap that Home Depot or Lowes has! It's not if they will strip whatever you try to remove.......those things definitely WILL strip whatever they touch!!!
Joe
You're entitled to your opinion but, while I'm not sure about $3 one, if they even sell them, ever since I got my first Stretch in late 2004, I've been using the $6 Husky driver set from Home Depot that's pictured below. In that time I'd guess I've used it to remove the clips from a few dozen Spydercos and put the clips back on a couple of those. I've also taken two or three Spydercos and a cheap OTF auto completely apart and put them back together Have yet to strip a screw or damage a driver.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have 2 of what Deacon posted.. And.. Yes they work ok, the Wiha bits fit a little more snug.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
mattman

Post by mattman »

I have several of the Husky branded ones like The Deacon posted, and they are used more often than my Wiha sets (three different sets). They work fine.

Unfortunately, the SKU has changed, and the current offering at Home Depot has changed, and I have no experience with the new version.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Wiha is very good. Like others have said, avoid the cheap ones Home Depot and Lowes offers.
Josh
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't get me wrong, Wiha makes excellent tools, as does Bondhus. But, they're relatively expensive and often impossible to find in stores. If you're going to use a torx driver a lot and have the patience to wait for them to be delivered from Amazon or some other online source, they're a worthwhile investment. If you have a knife you're anxious to use, but first need to move or remove the clip, Husky and Kobalt are less expensive, easy to find, and perfectly capable of doing the job.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have used the Husky set for years now without issue. I did take the bits and, as best as I can describe this, sort of scribbled on a piece of sandpaper to flatten the ends up and sharpen up the tips of the torx star. The corners were a bit rounded off at first. I have removed the screws from a few with the red loctite too. I am sure there are better tools but so far they have worked for me.

Most important things are to make sure you are using the right size and make sure you are pressing down firmly.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

No need to bother with Amazon or search your local stores. Order direct from Wiha Tools online.
Complete selection, fast service, high quality, ships from the Wiha USA warehouse in Minnesota.

https://www.wihatools.com/
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

I'm sure you'll find a T-6 driver that will work. Welcome to the Forum!
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
palonej wrote:T6......BUT do not go out and spend $3 on that cheap crap that Home Depot or Lowes has! It's not if they will strip whatever you try to remove.......those things definitely WILL strip whatever they touch!!!
Joe
You're entitled to your opinion but, while I'm not sure about $3 one, if they even sell them, ever since I got my first Stretch in late 2004, I've been using the $6 Husky driver set from Home Depot that's pictured below. In that time I'd guess I've used it to remove the clips from a few dozen Spydercos and put the clips back on a couple of those. I've also taken two or three Spydercos and a cheap OTF auto completely apart and put them back together Have yet to strip a screw or damage a driver.

I use the same Husky, and I even color the bits I use most with black marker in the same way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
41Mag

Post by 41Mag »

I have used the Husky for years as well and they have worked fine for me, but I would like to give those Wiha bits a try. They have nothing but positive reviews from what I have read!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the problem some guys have with "cheap" drivers is using the size that matches the number that the screw us supposed to be (so T6 screw = T6 bit) but I just use whatever fits the screw the best. I also have a no name super cheapo set I got from a flea market and haven't had any issues because I just use the bits that fit the best. For the really cheap ones you may need to step up or down in bit size but they can work if you just use some common sense.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
pattada

Post by pattada »

I went ahead and ordered the Wiha. Thanks everybody.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Hmmmm. Pretty sure my common sense is ok, but I'll check it to make sure.
The one I had from HD twisted the bit in the driver the first time I used it.
But again, maybe my common sense wasn't functioning that day.
pattada

Post by pattada »

I received the Wiha I ordered and using the T-6, I changed the position of the pocket clip of my Para Military 2 to the right hand tip up position. Thanks again :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I actually have 2 cheapo aluminum handled models from Harbor Freight that have proven to be the toughest $2 tool I have ever purchased. All the bit fit into the hollow handle. No brand markings whatsoever
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

pattada wrote:I received the Wiha I ordered and using the T-6, I changed the position of the pocket clip of my Para Military 2 to the right hand tip up position. Thanks again :)
Congratulations! I'm sure you will be happy and well served by your Wiha Tools. I sure enjoy mine. :)

Dave
palonej

Post by palonej »

pattada wrote:I received the Wiha I ordered and using the T-6, I changed the position of the pocket clip of my Para Military 2 to the right hand tip up position. Thanks again :)
Excellent decision! The tools will last a lifetime!
Joe