I've had enough...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

I've had enough...

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

I can't continue to break the bank and get every single Spyderco i want. The list has grow to too many knifes since the Mid Year product guide came out. Just about 1/4 of all of the new models have features and aspects that i want and then these dang Sprints come along with upgraded steel.
I'm worn out and so is my wallet but it continues..... :eek:
mb1

Re: I've had enough...

Post by mb1 »

Yep. I just went thru this same internal debate on the Caly 3 sprint. What am I going to do with it that I can't already do with my multiple, awesome edc knives I already own? How many knives do I want to own? What will my wife say? Should I donate the money to someone in need instead? (On that note I've thought about matching a gift/donation every time I buy...one way to keep some sanity.)

But...it's a sprint! It's in one of my favorite steels! It'll be gonnnne soon!

Ahhh...
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is only a matter of time before you find a way to calm down. The way I used to buy knives was simply not sustainable. The bigger the pile of knives gets the harder it is to justify new ones. You also refine your tastes a little more and really zero in on what it is you like and want. For me it is getting easier to pass on certain knives. I wanted the Cruwear Para3 but there were just enough reasons to let it pass. I am still hemming and hawing about it but in the end I think I will be able to resist. Once you have let a few slip buy it gets easier and easier to keep letting it happen. The HAP40 caly3 was never going to slip by but there are others I want that will. Breathe deep and go with the flow. :) They are only knives. :cool: I know, easy to say when you sleep in a big ole pile of them. :eek:

The sprint runs sure do make it hard. They sure makes it fun and hard to resist.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Mark, buy a pink Native5 or a Sage. A portion of the profit goes to charity. ;) How is that for some enabling. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Hmm...I don't own a Native...;)

I'm pretty safe from pink and yellow (except for that stinkin LCP). That donation model is cool though. That always elevates a company on my respect-o-meter.
- Mark

bearfacedkiller

Like this? :cool:

I bought the Native for my wife and the LCP was too good of a deal to pass up. I said I was going to RIT dye it black but so far I haven't. This is the one they call raspberry. If it was the bubblegum pink like the Native I think it would bug me more.

-Darby
qazy

Post by qazy »

Hello, my name is qazy and I am a Spyderholic :)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Yep, minus the laser. That's the one my wife picked based on color, and then had second thoughts after trying to rack the slide (esp with sweaty hands) and feeling how snappy it was to shoot. She still carries it tho. Can't beat those things for size.

The color really isn't too bad.
- Mark

mb1

Post by mb1 »

qazy wrote:Hello, my name is qazy and I am a Spyderholic :)
Room: "Hi qazy..."

It's been two days since my last purchase.
- Mark

sal

Post by sal »

Moderation is a valuable attribute to develop.

sal
anycal

Post by anycal »

Oh my fellow crackheads. I feel your suffering.

I actually have a hard stop; a number I decided beyond which I will not go. I wrote it down here on a piece of paper to remind me... where is that thing... it is here somewhere...
Peter
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I have finally found my zen place. I only wanted the q ball and meerkat. And got those... and then I realize I also got the blurple manix, ukpk, k390 urban, and zdp caly3.5. And a mule or two this year too. Not to mention the back up foundry or other brands....
Ok, maybe I have a problem.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

sal wrote:Moderation is a valuable attribute to develop.

sal
Hey Sal,

I've wondered...do you ever buy knives? I think I've seen some makers that occasionally buy. I'm sure you're cutting needs are pretty well covered though. ;)
- Mark

dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

The para 3 cruwear will be complimenting my pm2 cruwear, which in turn compliments my pm2 s110v. Same went for the manix 2 in S110V, g10 version. Had to buy the lw S110V one too of course because what can you possibly do with just one manix? After that I felt I had it all but my delica just wasn't cutting it for the tasks I use it for, so a native 5 was a necessity. Also compliments the manix's in shape.

I'm doubtful the caly 3 hap 40 will get through or I have to get lucky on my preorder (months back at kc) if not I've been debating an urban sprint which goes dirt cheap for the steel and loving the blade shape, it's just that I'm unsure how I feel about non locking blades. But for the money it seems like a steal and it's available here after being sold out a long time.
After that a sliverax because everything about it just seems to be made with my preferences in mind.

I should start stopping with visiting forums about knives and And checking resellers for new toy-tools :p
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

bearfacedkiller wrote:...You also refine your tastes a little more and really zero in on what it is you like and want. For me it is getting easier to pass on certain knives.
This is a really good point. For me, I really LOVE the Compression Lock, and really don't love any other locking mechanisms that I've felt thus far. I actually pretty much dislike the other locks, at least in comparison. So I'm kinda finding my desire for non-CLs to be waning... or maybe I'm lying to myself because I want one of each knife. But I pretty much would buy any Compression Lock knife at this point.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

mb1 wrote:

sal
Hey Sal,

I've wondered...do you ever buy knives? I think I've seen some makers that occasionally buy. I'm sure you're cutting needs are pretty well covered though. ;)
After buying the Benchmade Osborne I heard sal thought he was done with buying knives /joking ;)

Also interested in this one. Watched some videos on the history of spyderco and you (sal) in particular. Aside from the quality the philosophy behind spyderco makes me a lifetime customer. I wish I knew about the Amsterdam thing earlier, would have been great meeting the man in person. Still kicking myself for that one, just an hours drive away.
Must be nice having access to all those lovely sprints, sal ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It is only a matter of time before you find a way to calm down. ........... You also refine your tastes a little more and really zero in on what it is you like and want. For me it is getting easier to pass on certain knives..........
+1
I never was too crazy, but in the beginning I was buying over two dozen of Spydercos each year, not anymore. Probably will be 5-6 this year. I even passed on few new natives. I have about ten of them. This is more than I need. But I am enjoying my new Fluted CF N5.
I also sold at least half of my knives about three years ago. Missing only ATR.
bearfacedkiller wrote: The HAP40 caly3 was never going to slip by but there are others I want that will.
of cause. It is Caly. And it is dark green :)
But I wanted to buy two of them and bought only one.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bearfacedkiller

I agree Roman. If funds were available I may have bought a second. Dark green is my favorite color, HAP40 is one of my favorite steels and the Caly is near perfection. My SB Caly3 has been well used over the years.
-Darby
sal

Post by sal »

mb1 wrote:

sal
Hey Sal,

Yes I do. I'm still a knife guy.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:...You also refine your tastes a little more and really zero in on what it is you like and want. For me it is getting easier to pass on certain knives.
This is a really good point. For me, I really LOVE the Compression Lock, and really don't love any other locking mechanisms that I've felt thus far. I actually pretty much dislike the other locks, at least in comparison. So I'm kinda finding my desire for non-CLs to be waning... or maybe I'm lying to myself because I want one of each knife. But I pretty much would buy any Compression Lock knife at this point.
I got bit hard by the compression lock bug, it's still my favorite lock open and closing action wise. I've recently come to love the strength and functionality of the CBBL though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal