2002 forum knife question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zenheretic

2002 forum knife question

Post by zenheretic »

I have a 2002 Vesuvius Forum knife. Most photos, but not all, that I've seen show a silver bug inlay on the handle. Mine does not have an inlay. I've skimmed through the multitude of threads about the Vesuvius, and I believe there was a Vesuvius version without a silver bug inlay. But I can not figure out if some of the Forum Knife version came without the silver bug inlay, or did I get one that the silver bug was removed (or fell out).

Any of the brain trust have better knowledge on the matter?

If you need a picture, simply google images: 2002 vesuvius forum knife.
SpyderNut

Re: 2002 forum knife question

Post by SpyderNut »

Good question, Zen. I'll have to look at mine when I get home. Can't recall off-hand, unfortunately.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hey Darren, long time no see.

AFAIK all 2002 Forum Vesuvius have a burgundy FRN handle with the :spyder: inlay. If the inlay fell out, there would be a cavity where it should be. If there's no cavity, is the handle burgundy? You may have to take the knife outdoors to check that. The "burgundy" is such a dark purple it looks black under some light, closer to concord grape juice than burgundy, IMHO.

If it's burgundy with no cavity, then you have a very rare knife. Otherwise, if there's no cavity, then you probably have a Frankenspyder consisting of a 2002 Forum Vesuvius blade mated with a plain black handle. My money would be on the later, but I've been wrong before and hope I'm wrong this time.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Thanks for the responses. It has the cavity just no metalic spydie. I got burned a few times when collecting...
jdw

Post by jdw »

zenheretic wrote:Thanks for the responses. It has the cavity just no metalic spydie. I got burned a few times when collecting...
Me too. I usually just fold up the loss and go on. It really sucks though.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

jdw wrote:
zenheretic wrote:Thanks for the responses. It has the cavity just no metalic spydie. I got burned a few times when collecting...
Me too. I usually just fold up the loss and go on. It really sucks though.
Not a huge deal, I bought it years ago and never noticed. I''ve been selling off the collection in a different area and a potential buyer asked about the bug hole in the handle. Then I began looking into the Vesuvius, couldn't really find a definitive answer so asked here. So now, I can use it and not worry about the whole deal. I really like the Vesuvius/Centofante line anyhow. :)