Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Post by steelcity16 »

Also, can we get another sprint of the Caly 3 asap??? This is an amazing knife. Laminated superblue for those of us who missed the solid superblue. Then a VTOKU. Or vise vera. But both please, and asap!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Oh, and a full salt H1 serrated and plain with transluscent neon yellow G10. Both Satin and Black blades.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

steelcity16 wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Strider wrote:Now that I have the caly, I'm not sure what to do with the native or sage. Can't picture myself reaching for them instead.
Carry and use them. Almost every day I carry both Native5 and Caly3. Both of them have their uses.
There is nothing wrong to carry two or three, even four knives. :)
We used to have two gents here, which carry over 20 knives daily.
I might try this. This Caly has been my carry for about a week now. I don't want to stop carrying it, but I am dying to try my Blurple Native 5. You just gave me the solution. Carry two knives...its so simple! :o
Pants have so many pockets for a reason....
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Strider

Post by Strider »

to those who have both, how are you enjoying the hap40 compared to zdp? (i would say superblue, but I missed that boat)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Strider wrote:to those who have both, how are you enjoying the hap40 compared to zdp? (i would say superblue, but I missed that boat)
ZDP still has the crown for edge retention, but HAP40 has the best of the models available. Better edge retention than Superblue and easier to sharpen than ZDP
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Ohhh, thanks! Nice to have a second chance at this one
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

xceptnl wrote:
dodgie02 wrote:Jezus Christ. I was over at a friend's yesterday, who is also looking for a knife and he was amazed by my caly 3 HAP40 sprint, so I recommended the S110V uk pocket broadsword instead which is better for him anyway. Anyway, dude was gonna clean the caly when done, assuming a rinse I even said thanks. I only looked at it back home again and goddamn. What the hell has he been rinsing with? Water with some acid drained straight from from a nuclear plant?

I'll link a imgur album in moments.
imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/6X4wZ What can I do to fix this?
Pretty common appearance for a steel like HAP40. Your choices are to embrace the protective properties of the patina that has formed on the core steel (my recommendation) or gently polish it away with a cloth and a product like Barkeepers Friend. Your friend may not have used anything corrosive to clean it but he may have used the knife to cut apples or something acidic thus forming the patina
Thanks for the heads up! I was kind of in a state of panic when I wrote the above and wasn't really thinking clearly. The caly 3 HAP40 has quickly become my favorite extension of myself and it just keeps surprising me how well build it is. My experience with hap40 is limited to an Endura which I haven't used as much as I like (too pretty). However seeing as I have 2 caly3 sprints I don't worry about carrying one all around but I was just a bit shaken :p

On a semi related note. My manix 2 S110V lw got stolen recently. I'm in the market for another one but seriously contemplating the zdp caly 3.5 after my newfound love for the caly line. I'm usually a fan of the medium sized blades (think pm2, manix, etc). How does a 3.5 compare to the feeling and handling of the caly 3 which I absolutely love even above manix ergos?
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

dodgie02 wrote:
xceptnl wrote:
dodgie02 wrote:Jezus Christ. I was over at a friend's yesterday, who is also looking for a knife and he was amazed by my caly 3 HAP40 sprint, so I recommended the S110V uk pocket broadsword instead which is better for him anyway. Anyway, dude was gonna clean the caly when done, assuming a rinse I even said thanks. I only looked at it back home again and goddamn. What the hell has he been rinsing with? Water with some acid drained straight from from a nuclear plant?

I'll link a imgur album in moments.
imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/6X4wZ What can I do to fix this?
Pretty common appearance for a steel like HAP40. Your choices are to embrace the protective properties of the patina that has formed on the core steel (my recommendation) or gently polish it away with a cloth and a product like Barkeepers Friend. Your friend may not have used anything corrosive to clean it but he may have used the knife to cut apples or something acidic thus forming the patina
Thanks for the heads up! I was kind of in a state of panic when I wrote the above and wasn't really thinking clearly. The caly 3 HAP40 has quickly become my favorite extension of myself and it just keeps surprising me how well build it is. My experience with hap40 is limited to an Endura which I haven't used as much as I like (too pretty). However seeing as I have 2 caly3 sprints I don't worry about carrying one all around but I was just a bit shaken :p

On a semi related note. My manix 2 S110V lw got stolen recently. I'm in the market for another one but seriously contemplating the zdp caly 3.5 after my newfound love for the caly line. I'm usually a fan of the medium sized blades (think pm2, manix, etc). How does a 3.5 compare to the feeling and handling of the caly 3 which I absolutely love even above manix ergos?

The 3.5 handle is almost the same size as the 3. Crazy how you can get 1/2” more in almost the same size handle.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote: ZDP still has the crown for edge retention, but HAP40 has the best of the models available. Better edge retention than Superblue and easier to sharpen than ZDP
There is no problem to sharpen ZDP. Just send it to Spyderco and use back-up :D
Frankly I am using my ZDP Caly3 since September of 2016. Mostly to cut lunch and apples. I touched up it may be twice.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

bh49 wrote:
xceptnl wrote: ZDP still has the crown for edge retention, but HAP40 has the best of the models available. Better edge retention than Superblue and easier to sharpen than ZDP
There is no problem to sharpen ZDP. Just send it to Spyderco and use back-up :D
Frankly I am using my ZDP Caly3 since September of 2016. Mostly to cut lunch and apples. I touched up it may be twice.
To the above poster replying to me; thanks for the input, I'm still 2 weeks away from my paycheck but the temptation is growing..

As for why I quoted bh49; I'm more and more intrigued by zdp-189. There was a thread on the spyderco bladeforum about zdp-189 blades and the general consensus is that is simply stays sharp even after relative abuse. I'm a big fan of S110V as I have come to learn the steel and how to sharpen it correctly and I've had to touch up my manix perhaps once per month. Which is crazy considering I really stress the blade a lot at work. A caly 3.5 in zdp-189 is beginning to sound like a grail knife to me. The price tag is steep but it seems very much worth it. Before dropping a stack of cash I was hoping to get a little info on the 3.5 (hope I'm not hijacking the thread too much). How would one say zdp stacks up to S110V? Corrosion resistance is not an issue to me.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Ohhh, thanks! Nice to have a second chance at this one
Very temped to buy some more of these as it is my current favorite carry knife, but there are so many good sprints and exclusives on the horizon I need to save some coin I guess. I am hoping that they notice how popular this Sprint was and how many people love this knife, and they start pumping out Sprints and Exclusives of this knife and put it back into production ASAP.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Kinda surprised that these are still trickling in. Back in stock at BHQ
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ife--50825
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:43 am
Kinda surprised that these are still trickling in. Back in stock at BHQ
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ife--50825
must have just been one. it's gone now!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:45 am
two in stock at Knives Plus

https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-c11 ... html#10692
BBS also has some. Basically same price when you figure in shipping. Sadly, too rich for my blood.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:45 am
two in stock at Knives Plus

https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-c11 ... html#10692
EDIT: : Just now realized, that this thread is about the Caly 3, not 3.5... I am talking about the 3.5 though in my post below.

If I lived in the US, or shipping to Europe was cheaper and faster (and no taxes/tariffs involved), I´d really be tempted.

Such an interesting design, which I overlooked for quite some time. Really like: 3mm stock, backlock, leaf shape, and especially the relatively huge amount of cutting edge you get for the rather small closed package. HAP 40 ist probably my favorite "super" steel anyway.
Only thing I don´t like: The clip. Not fond of wire clips, and even less of deep carry.
Not much experience with pinned construction, so no real opinion here, but since I almost never disassemble knives for cleaning, I should be fine with that

I guess I´ll wait and hope for the lightweight version... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)