Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Post by abbazaba »

Mine is tight!
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Hopefully the new one thats on its way will be tight. As for the gap happy one it will go back to spyderco if they see fit to replace, if not sold to someone who wont mind it.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I've been thinking about getting one since these were announced, but I still think they are too small for my tastes. Better off to let someone else have a bite and wait for the 3.5. One model I know for sure will it my hand is the Persian 2 - How about one of those in HAP40 - They were made at the same place I believe. Better yet, make it a 4 inch Persian blade (It's about time for a Persian 3, is it not?). Or, how's about a Chinook 4 a la HAP40, with the green scales? I bet those sell!!! Finally, lets have a Shabaria HAP40.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Now, a Caly 3.5 in HAP-40 would be very nice, indeed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:Now, a Caly 3.5 in HAP-40 would be very nice, indeed.
I had my Caly 3.5 ZDP with me tonight for a night on the town. I really like that knife. I'm not sure I could pass on a HAP40 version.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I prefer the 3.5. Would buy 2 in the green Hap40...........if I could get them. :p First attempt to get the 3, I had the item in the cart but before I could log in to my account they were out of stock. These things were sold out before the dealers got them. Seems it warrants the 3.5. :spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I received Caly 3 #2 today. I didn't think it was possible but I think #2 is a little better than the first. The lam lines aren't quite as even as #1 (neither are perfect) but the G10 feels a little more grippy and the blade drops nicely when I depress the lock bar. I think #2 is going to be my user.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Sharp Guy wrote:I received Caly 3 #2 today. I didn't think it was possible but I think #2 is a little better than the first. The lam lines aren't quite as even as #1 (neither are perfect) but the G10 feels a little more grippy and the blade drops nicely when I depress the lock bar. I think #2 is going to be my user.
Glad you found a perfect one. Hope that doesn't mean I need to find a couple more... :eek:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

foofie wrote:Glad you found a perfect one. Hope that doesn't mean I need to find a couple more... :eek:
Both mine are great! One's just a tiny bit better than the other.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

My Caly's backspacer gaps are extremely good, so much so that there are spots where it's fingernail-flush, or very close to it. I don't expect "normal" production knives to be perfect with this sort of gap but this thing is very nearly there.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Has anyone actually had a KC pre-order for this one filled yet?

They were late to get the Meerkat as well...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

awa54 wrote:Has anyone actually had a KC pre-order for this one filled yet?

Yes, I received mine from KC yesterday. I was on the pre-order list early though.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Sharp Guy wrote:

Yes, I received mine from KC yesterday. I was on the pre-order list early though.
I signed up within the first day :(
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I signed up the first day too and I was not in on the first shipment. I cancelled and went elsewhere. No beef with KC but preordering from them has proven to be very unreliable for me. I still shop there but not usually for sprints.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

awa54 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

I signed up within the first day :(
Not long after they went up for pre-order another member sent me a text to tell me. I think he ended up being somewhere around #15 or 16 on the list. I called KC a few months ago and I asked where I was at on the list. The rep wouldn't tell me exactly what number I was but she said I was in on the first day and I was pretty much guaranteed to get one. I don't recall all the details of the conversation but somethimg else she said lead me to believe I was within the first 25 pre-orders. I know the dealers often get an initial shipment and then a larger shipment follows. If you signed up within the first day I would feel pretty confident you'll get one. Have you been getting email notifications from KC regarding the status of your pre-order? Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call tomorrow to ask about your order. I called them last week during my lunch break and was only on hold for a maybe a minute. So calling them shouldn't take long and it might give you some piece of mind.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mine was shipped few days ago. Should get it on Monday.
I had pre-order for two, but cancel one. I really do not care about evenness of laminated lines now. It used to be a huge issue for me. I sold my Jess Horns and my original Caly3 CF because of that. But uneven laminated lines do not bother me anymore. I do not care about gap between spacer and lock-bar either. I just checked my CF Fluted Native5 and it is quite big. It is already in my pocket and cutting. BTW, cutting well, so why this should be a concern as long as I am enjoying my new knife.
Tomorrow I should get my Caly.
Enjoy your knives brothers.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
mb1

Post by mb1 »

New knife day - woot!

Tolerances are perfect on mine on the tail end. Just slight gaps up front. This one actually had a couple handling marks on the blade which I've never noticed before. Going to be used and scratched up a lot more tho on that SUS410.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Received mine today. What an excellent piece. I pre ordered from KC and when it arrived it had a collectors club # on the blade?? Has this ever happened to anyone else?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Yes. I got Orange Dodo with cc number from NGK. Since then I always asking "no cc numbered knife".
BTW, I got mine Caly3 today. It is perfect and green.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Donut

Post by Donut »

mrtodd777 wrote:Received mine today. What an excellent piece. I pre ordered from KC and when it arrived it had a collectors club # on the blade?? Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Some dealers sign up for a couple of CC#'s so that they get a couple extra of the sprints so that they can sell them.

Howe's used to do that.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!