Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bdubs808

Re: Caly 3 HAP40 dropped

Post by Bdubs808 »

The initial frenzy when the first shipments drop is always crazy. I believe everyone who is looking hard at these is gonna be able to buy one, or two, within the next week.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I passed on this one. If you are a collector it would be great, but at 4.1 oz. it is as heavy as my full sized Manix 2 Back Lock. It is over an ounce heavier than my beloved Caly3 ZDP-189 (I do not understand that).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I highly doubt that figure is correct but I won't know until I get one. Maybe they didn't skeletonize the liners? That is the only way I can imagine the increase. I know they already confirmed that the production sample was 4.1 but I am still doubtful. We shall see. :)

Either way I won't let an ounce change my mind. I am a loaded pockets kind of guy and won't be able to tell the difference either way. This one is going straight into my back left pocket with the 204p Military in the back right. Dark green is my favorite color and this pair is gonna be great, even if it is over half pound of knives. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Video on youtube shows it with skeletonized liners
https://youtu.be/P7InTb3n8JI
Shows around 1:40.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:hand-tools.com just updated their site showing 5 in stock (showed 0 this morning). I went ahead and grabbed one even though they are a few dollars higher and charge for shipping.

Never used these guys before, so hope it works out ok.

Link: https://www.hand-tools.com/product-deta ... SPC113GPGR
I've used them before. They were a little slow on shipping, but they are legit.

I was resisting this one, but love the steel and like the color, so I waffled this morn and tried to order one. Hand-tools showed 1 in stock, but after reading above, not so sure. I emailed them for confirmation.

KC shows Pre-order vs Out of Stock. Have they not received their allotment yet? I'm sure they're probably spoken for in either case.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I highly doubt that figure is correct but I won't know until I get one. Maybe they didn't skeletonize the liners? That is the only way I can imagine the increase. I know they already confirmed that the production sample was 4.1 but I am still doubtful. We shall see. :)

Either way I won't let an ounce change my mind. I am a loaded pockets kind of guy and won't be able to tell the difference either way. This one is going straight into my back left pocket with the 204p Military in the back right. Dark green is my favorite color and this pair is gonna be great, even if it is over half pound of knives. :D
I Confirmed it with Spyderco and was told thr sample they had weighed out at 4.1 oz.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Doc Dan wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I highly doubt that figure is correct but I won't know until I get one. Maybe they didn't skeletonize the liners? That is the only way I can imagine the increase. I know they already confirmed that the production sample was 4.1 but I am still doubtful. We shall see. :)

I Confirmed it with Spyderco and was told thr sample they had weighed out at 4.1 oz.
Yes, I know that. I just said that in the very post you just quoted. I still doubt it. That video spider bite posted confirms that it is skeletonized just like the rest have been. An ounce is a lot of weight to add without changing anything but the color and the steel. People make mistakes, it happens all the time. I will weigh mine when it gets here and report back.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

To my knowledge, the only two dealers who have a page for this Sprint, and yet haven't had stock available so far are GP Knives and National Knives. Both tend to not have any in the first wave, so that follows their previous tendency. Has anybody ordered this Caly from either?
I'm keeping an eye on both of those dealers to see when they show up.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:To my knowledge, the only two dealers who have a page for this Sprint, and yet haven't had stock available so far are GP Knives and National Knives. Both tend to not have any in the first wave, so that follows their previous tendency. Has anybody ordered this Caly from either?
I'd been keeping an eye on National and haven't seen any stock yet. Did BHQ have these available yet?
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Slumblor wrote:
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:To my knowledge, the only two dealers who have a page for this Sprint, and yet haven't had stock available so far are GP Knives and National Knives. Both tend to not have any in the first wave, so that follows their previous tendency. Has anybody ordered this Caly from either?
I'd been keeping an eye on National and haven't seen any stock yet. Did BHQ have these available yet?
I thought I saw on this thread that BHQ had a few that were released on the very first day. I am expecting most dealers to get more eventually as 2nd batches filter in.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

KC still hasn't received theirs either..
bearfacedkiller

When I called KC to cancel my preorder yesterday they said that they had received their first shipment and filled a few orders.
-Darby
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Soooo...Hand-tools just emailed me back. The 1 showing in stock today was not real. They got 5 yesterday and sold them in 30 min. :(

Is it worth pre-ordering (KC or elsewhere) at this point, or just hunt and seek now??
- Mark

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

mb1 wrote:Is it worth pre-ordering (KC or elsewhere) at this point, or just hunt and seek now??
I wouldn't try pre-ordering this late. I know they haven't went up for sale yet at a few of the bigger dealers. Just start checking and keep your eye on this thread.

I hope find one!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I think your best bet is going to be hunt and seek, and check here as often as you can. I'm sure preorders no matter where you go now are going to be a pipe dream..

I'll be checking all the usual sites today and if i see anything I'll be posting here for anyone else who wants one.
Josh
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea I think everyone has their ear to the ground on this one, any that surface will be announced Stat, posted here and hoovered up
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
mb1

Post by mb1 »

^^^ Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Thx for the advice. This was so much easier when I tried not to care!
farnorthdan wrote:Yea I think everyone has their ear to the ground on this one, any that surface will be announced Stat, posted here and hoovered up
"Hoovered up" ...lol! Man, what a picture. :eek: :spyder: Buncha sprint-sick junkies 'round here!

I'll be on the street corner waving $130 in the air if anyone needs to reach me...
- Mark

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

MB1 PM sent
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

mb1 wrote:Soooo...Hand-tools just emailed me back. The 1 showing in stock today was not real. They got 5 yesterday and sold them in 30 min. :(

Is it worth pre-ordering (KC or elsewhere) at this point, or just hunt and seek now??
I got the same email from hand-tools. Doesn't look like they'll be able to fill their orders. They said they ordered 25 but it seems unlikely they'll get that many considering it's only a 1200 pc run.

Luckily I just got my shipping notice on my oso preorder so I can relax
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »