Para 3 sprint has dropped!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
greencobra

Re: Para 3 sprint has dropped!

Post by greencobra »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I think I heard someone mention the cruwear sprint had a few tweeks from the standard, but I couldn't say what.
interesting. i have a std s30v para 3 so i guess i'll see whats going on there. cru wear is my first foray into something "exotic" (for lack of a better word) that i plan on using as a daily driver. i am using the little hap 40 meerkat sprint but the tiny blade really limits the hard use i think one can get into with that size blade. looking forward to the new para. :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I think I heard someone mention the cruwear sprint had a few tweeks from the standard, but I couldn't say what.
They're the same as far as I can tell. Aside from the steel and scale color the only difference between my Cruwear P3 and my first-run base model is the little relief/step they're cutting on the lock face. They started doing that right after the first release so all the Para 3s should have that now.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

Sharp Guy wrote:They're the same as far as I can tell. Aside from the steel and scale color the only difference between my Cruwear P3 and my first-run base model is the little relief/step they're cutting on the lock face. They started doing that right after the first release so all the Para 3s should have that now.
Can someone explain to me what the purpose is of that step they're cutting on the lock face? Is it so the lock bar gets a "jump" into the locking channel (between stop pin and tang) for a more secure lockup? Or perhaps some clearance for the detent ball...I actually don't have a clue so I should probably wait for an educated answer! :D

And holy crap...you guys weren't kidding! The Para 3 is an awesome knife! I was really hesitant to buy one because I currently have two PM2s (Cruwear and M390) and that knife has always been my favorite model since I got my first one a couple of years ago. Not to mention the Sage 5, D4's, DF2's, GB2, N5, Slysz, blah, blah, blah. I have so many Spydercos that I always hesitate when I see a new design, because sprints are constantly being developed and released on my tried and true models and colabs are revisited with makers that I know I love. From it's release, the only design issue I had with the Para 3 was the tip-up pocket clip positioning but after I saw the release of Cruwear Sprint on this thread and the photos of the stubby MXG clip, I was all over it. I got the clip a while ago and just got the knife from the SFO yesterday. What an amazingly useful and attractive knife design! Overall the knife feels great in hand...it just melts away and the MXG stubby clip matches the knife perfectly. What's most impressive to me is how thin it is behind the edge, especially when you consider the thickness of the stock...well done Spyderco!!!! The level of precision on these grinds are unbelievable and the pivot has a buttery smooth action. The only thing that might need some breaking in is, that it has, a bit of lock stick, which is fine by me. All that tells me is that the compression lock is making an extremely positive lock up and that the locking interfaces have been matched perfectly. I could be wrong but I feel like its an added bonus and sense of security, opposed to an "issue" as some would call it.

Thanks guys for all the head-ups and for sharing your thoughts on a knife that I probably wouldn't have given a chance to, if it wasn't for this thread! Now back to flicking ;)

All the best!
-Hovan
attila

Post by attila »

hovan2yourknives wrote:
Can someone explain to me what the purpose is of that step they're cutting on the lock face? Is it so the lock bar gets a "jump" into the locking channel (between stop pin and tang) for a more secure lockup? Or perhaps some clearance for the detent ball...I actually don't have a clue so I should probably wait for an educated answer! :D

All the best!
-Hovan
Here's the info from the source. Enjoy.
Michael Janich wrote:Dear chaoticdefect65 and all:

Thank you very much for your post. Your knife is not defective.

After I read your post this morning, I spoke to our manufacturing manager and chief engineer. They confirmed that the machined "step" was a purposeful in-line change in the design; however, both versions of the Para 3 shown in this thread are correct and both are completely functional and reliable.

The first production of the Para 3 featured the full-width lock ramp that has traditionally been used on all our Compression Locks. Our testing of that lock in the Para 3 confirmed that it is robust, reliable, and provides outstanding lock strength--just like the many thousands of other Compression Locks currently in service.

When extreme lock testing videos became popular on the Internet several years ago, some testers began using an "overstrike" test. In this test, the knife is gripped by the end of the handle and the forward portion of the "slot" side of the handle is struck against a hard surface to try to get the blade to close. While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols.

In its original full-width-ramp configuration, the Para 3 performed just as well as our other Compression Lock knives on the overstrike test. When the lock finally failed, it did so because the impact of the strike allowed the liner to slide completely off the ramp. This gave one of our engineers an idea. In the spirit of Constant Quality Improvement (C.Q.I.), he machined a small "safety step" at the low end of the ramp. In overstrike tests, this step is designed to act as a shelf or step to "catch" the liner and act as a failsafe against lock release. Extensive testing of the concept with the Para 3 showed that the idea had merit, so we decided to implement it as a desirable change in the Para 3 design.

Based on the engagement point of the liner and the ramp, the safety step does not affect lock strength or its ease of operation. Again, it is a purposeful C.Q.I. change that we believe is an enhancement to the design. We plan to do additional testing with prototypes of other models to see if it's something that we might consider implementing in other designs, but for now, it's limited to current production of the Para 3. First-run production of the Para 3 with the full-width ramp are perfectly serviceable, first-quality knives and have been very well received by our customers. If you have one, it will serve you well.

As always, if you have any concerns about the performance or operation of an individual Spyderco knife, your best course of action is to send it to our warranty repair department so we can examine it. And, as always, we welcome feedback on your experiences with our knives and your thoughts on our continued efforts to make them better.

Thank you for your continued passion for Spyderco knives.

Stay safe,

Mike
The above was from this thread: //forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=73272
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

attila wrote:...

Here's the info from the source. Enjoy. ...
Nice to know what the step is for. Thanks for posting that attila :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
attila wrote:...

Here's the info from the source. Enjoy. ...
Nice to know what the step is for. Thanks for posting that attila :D
I second that. Thanks attila.

But man...I really can't stand those CS "lock strength test" videos on so many levels. Nothing against their products though...
bacmapei

Post by bacmapei »

Original plan was to keep my knife as is, but the MXG clip is really tempting as I do plan to carry and use my blade. What size torx do I need to replace the clip? Small sizes are not in my current tool inventory. Thanks.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

T6
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

bacmapei wrote:Original plan was to keep my knife as is, but the MXG clip is really tempting as I do plan to carry and use my blade. What size torx do I need to replace the clip? Small sizes are not in my current tool inventory. Thanks.
I believe the torx size is T6. I bought a set of small torx bits on Amazon a while back and they've been serving me well but I also heard there is some variance among different manufacturers so it's a good idea to get a small set and use the largest bit that fits.

I can't remember the brand name that Spyderco uses but when I searched them they were expensive. I'm sure they're quality tools but for someone who only needs to change a clip or adjust a pivot once in a while I think the cheaper bits are fine.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Mdggifts.com has 3 in stock. Never used them before but only place I can still find one. Little bit more at $149 but still not too bad.
bacmapei

Post by bacmapei »

Any stock updates? 2 weeks since a post about BHQ and I have been wondering about greencobra - did KC come through on the pre-order?
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

bacmapei wrote:Any stock updates? 2 weeks since a post about BHQ and I have been wondering about greencobra - did KC come through on the pre-order?
All of my sources have it out of stock
Bpfohio

Post by Bpfohio »

I don't know about the standard model but I have the blurple and the cru-wear and the cruwear is about a 10th of an Oz heavier than the blurple. It doesn't sound like much but it does lend to the cruwear feeling a lot more solid.
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

bacmapei wrote:Any stock updates? 2 weeks since a post about BHQ and I have been wondering about greencobra - did KC come through on the pre-order?
I'm almost positive I saw greencobra post that his KC preorder came through.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Sooner State Knives has them, a few $$ more but Kenny is good to go, just an fyi :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

I have a pre-order with KC, I just keep getting emails saying it is in progress.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Got mine in today!!

thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

Hey Travvy,
Will it still slice paper after all that?
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

thefly01 wrote:Hey Travvy,
Paper? Pfft.... this thing still pops hairs! Haha
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

thefly01 wrote:Hey Travvy,
Haha! I saw that earlier and was going to mention that was a pretty ambitious task for that knife. That Cruwear is even better than I thought!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!