Spyderco Para 3 Centering

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kenrickchow

Spyderco Para 3 Centering

Post by kenrickchow »

Hi Spydie friends. I am kind of new to spyderco and I have recently got my third spyderco which is a Para3. I love everythig of the knfie except for a slightly bit of off centering as you can see from the photo. I tried everything I can do to fix it but no luck. It was in red loctite and I has been fighting a bit with it and scratching/stripping slightly some screws but still couldn't get the tip center perfectly. I would like to seek for your advise and see if this level of off center (like a hair) being within normal allowance or not? If it is in the acceptance range I will live with it otherwise I will seek for fixes. I bough it online and I am overseas so sending it back is a big big hassle. Your advise please. Thanks.

As you can see from the pics below. The blade is a hair tilt to the clip side. Very slightly but still observable. What do you think?

farnorthdan

Re: Spyderco Para 3 Centering

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum, that really doesn't look too bad to me, I have a few like that and they function just fine.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
kenrickchow

Post by kenrickchow »

Thanks farnorthdan. Yes it is not that bad. Just a hair off. Nothing is touching or grinding the scale or anywhere. I am just an OCD nuts XD. It has great great action though.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

if your questioning it it bothers you, right? my 3 golden knives, para 3, pm2 and manix xl are all perfectly centered. i know that won't make you feel any better. your knife doesn't look that bad but if you're like me and anal about "stuff" it will forever gnaw at you. i'd just say send it in to warranty and repair before you bugger something up like i usually do. let them have look.
kenrickchow

Post by kenrickchow »

Thanks greencobra.
No I am just not familiar with Spyderco allowance level. If it is within a certain allowance range, I can definitely live with it. Or if it is so off that it is a lemon, I will send it back. But I am overseas so sending it for warranty is a hassle. I will leave it to the last thing I can do. ..
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the forum. :)

That's shocking! I've never seen one that bad before and I'd send it back for a refund, no question! Ah, hahaha! Only joking, only joking! :p

It doesn't look too far off centre at all and personally I wouldn't worry about it. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kenrickchow

Post by kenrickchow »

Thanks Bloke for the reply. It really helps. I think I will live with it as the knife is dam solid. This bad *** is no way a shelf queen and made to be beaten up anyway.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

kenrickchow wrote:Thanks Bloke for the reply. It really helps. I think I will live with it as the knife is dam solid. This bad *** is no way a shelf queen and made to be beaten up anyway.
Too easy!

What I've found is you can go to the trouble of getting them perfectly centred no worries. Then you start using them and after a while they're ever so slightly out of centre again. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kenrickchow

Post by kenrickchow »

Bloke wrote:
Too easy!

What I've found is you can go to the trouble of getting them perfectly centred no worries. Then you start using them and after a while they're ever so slightly out of centre again. :rolleyes:
Thanks for bringing me out of the OCD. :eek:
Yeah you are right. :p Even though some knives with perfect centerig might develop some kind of slightly off after some good use and need to be aligned again. :)
Yeah, so why bother? For a beater :D
Thanks!
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

What would botther me more is the now scratching/stripped screws you mentioned. The off center doesnt seem to bad. I would leave this one and use as is.
kenrickchow

Post by kenrickchow »

Spider bite wrote:What would botther me more is the now scratching/stripped screws you mentioned. The off center doesnt seem to bad. I would leave this one and use as is.
Somehow you are right. But as long as the screws still works and the loctite are all broken, I think it should be alright...
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

It would bug me. Kind of have higher expectations with over $100 knives.
johnson

Post by johnson »

This is my PM2. It's five years old and is the most carried knive I own. The blade is slightly off center since day one. It has been stripped and assembled a couple of times for proper cleaning and maintanance. It always ends up this way after assembly. Works 100% and doesn't bother me at all. I Own a blurple PM2, Para 3, original Native and a Native 5 that has perfectly centered blades though.
Attachments
image1[198].JPG
kenrickchow

Post by kenrickchow »

johnson wrote:This is my PM2. It's five years old and is the most carried knive I own. The blade is slightly off center since day one. It has been stripped and assembled a couple of times for proper cleaning and maintanance. It always ends up this way after assembly. Works 100% and doesn't bother me at all. I Own a blurple PM2, Para 3, original Native and a Native 5 that has perfectly centered blades though.
Thanks Johnson. Thanks for the reply. It really makes me feel better. It is a wonderful knife and I enjoy using it a lot.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I definitely don't want to rile up your OCD again about it (my Cruwear Millie is much worse than your P3 and I was so unconcerned about it I had to go and double check to make sure I was remembering it right) but just for the record, in case you get ahold of one that is really out of adjustment, I think there's a thread somewhere about "dialing in" the centering of a PM2 (or millie?) by loosening and then re-tightening the pivot screw and another screw or two in a certain order? Does anybody remember this thread?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

DougC-3 wrote:I definitely don't want to rile up your OCD again about it (my Cruwear Millie is much worse than your P3 and I was so unconcerned about it I had to go and double check to make sure I was remembering it right) but just for the record, in case you get ahold of one that is really out of adjustment, I think there's a thread somewhere about "dialing in" the centering of a PM2 (or millie?) by loosening and then re-tightening the pivot screw and another screw or two in a certain order? Does anybody remember this thread?
I found the thread, but don't claim to know if the Para 3 pivot is like the PM2 pivot.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 5&p=855034

Edit: a couple more refs in case anyone wants to really delve into this (over-tightening clip screws may have an effect:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66073

viewtopic.php?t=64550&p=959399
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
sanman28

Post by sanman28 »

I wouldnt care about that....it so close. But it might bother you, so if it does....send it in.
Dferg10

Post by Dferg10 »

I would get new screws from Spyderco. That would bother me more than the blade being off center slightly.
kenrickchow

Post by kenrickchow »

Thanks guys. Yes, I am asking spyderco for the replacement screws. Hopefully will get them soon.