What Spydie would you grab in an emergency?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: What Spydie would you grab in an emergency?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

No worries Chuck. We are just having fun. We are all responsible for our own safety after all. I have almost no chance of a serious disaster here so internet games are all I have. Stay safe out there!!!! Things are a lot different where you live. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

After carefully reading all the posts and different scenarios on this thread I've now put all my good knives in a wheelbarrows just inside the back door.

Beloved wife's complaining that the kitchen is no place for a wheelbarrow full of knives so I wheeled it into the lounge room and she still isn't very happy.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where best to keep a wheelbarrow full of knives close handy in case of an emergency in an average size three bedroom house.

Many thanks in advance! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Bloke wrote:After carefully reading all the posts and different scenarios on this thread I've now put all my good knives in a wheelbarrows just inside the back door.

Beloved wife's complaining that the kitchen is no place for a wheelbarrow full of knives so I wheeled it into the lounge room and she still isn't very happy.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where best to keep a wheelbarrow full of knives close handy in case of an emergency in an average size three bedroom house.

Many thanks in advance! :)
Absolutely!! I can help.

Move the wheelbarrow from the lounge to the master bedroom and position it on the Good Lady's side of the bed, but leaving plenty of free travel space between the bedroom and all exit options, enough for yourself and said wheelbarrow. This will eliminate the complaints coming from the kitchen. It's all about priorities. After a few nights of climbing over the wheelbarrow to get into bed a suggestion will be made to move the wheelbarrow back into the kitchen again close to the doorway, and no more opposition. In theory, this should work well for any emergency evacuation with all knives intact and yourself in a position of absolute control as the wheelbarrow driver. Again, it's all about priorities.

I sincerely hope this all works out better for you than it has for me.
I am currently residing in the unattached garage on my property with my sleeping bag, an old Radio Flyer coaster wagon, and all of my knives.
But you know, that big garage door is going to give me plenty of space for a good head start to escape in any emergency. Life's good here! ;)
It's all about priorities.

Dave
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Whatever's in my pocket, but if there was time, the Manix back lock or something as tough. You never know what you need to hack through.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

[quote="El Gato"]
Absolutely!! I can help./quote]

Mate, you're a bloody genius!

I'll move my barrow as soon as I get home! :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
jdw

Post by jdw »

It would definitely be my Ladybug. It's the lightest Spydie that I own and I wouldn't want anything slowing me down while I was bravely running away.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Bloke wrote:
El Gato wrote: Absolutely!! I can help./quote]

Mate, you're a bloody genius!

I'll move my barrow as soon as I get home! :p
Knew I could help.
Let me know how it all works out. :D

Dave
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote: Once time during a strong earthquake and a subsequent tsunami warning, I bugged out of the house(100 meters from the ocean at the time) and I wanted at least 200 rounds of ammo. I wound up bringing 600 rounds for .45, .40, and 9mm. I changed over to single caliber after that.
This sounds like an emergency and it sounds like you had time to grab a "few" things. Not just ammo but apparently three firearms.

In some scenarios you will have a few minutes to grab some stuff and in others you will not. Every situation is different. :D

I agree that sitting and perusing your knife collection is unlikely but quickly picking one out is a possibility in some situations.

I don't get it. What is the objection to someone asking a hypothetical question that is basically, "If you were leaving your house in a hurry what knife would you grab?" This is just for fun. Why be so argumentative?
Not really an emergency just a bug out scenario. ;)

No objection, just a dose of reality. So let's call it what it is, an internet game. :D

Right, so this is also another internet game I'm in now, and it's called the internet pissing contest. I'm out of this one and I'll be practicing my morse code. In case I'll need it in an emergency too.Ham radio has it's preppers as well. :D
I think it may be a lost cause explaining it to you. But I'll give it one more shot. Why do you carry a knife? Or any other pocket tool? Because you might need one right? Out of all the emergencies I COULD face, I know which emergency I will never face... Not having a knife when I need one. It would seem kind of stupid to spend a lot of money on quality tools only to leave them behind in an emergency where you MIGHT ACTUALLY NEED a quality tool your life can depend on for once doesn't it?

You also seem to be missing that I didn't know what was going on. I didn't know if would be able to get out of my front door and get to my car, I didn't know if the whole neighborhood was on fire or just the brush I could see, I didn't know if the fire was behind me yet. I didn't know if my neighbors house was on fire, I may have had to break into my neighbors house to save their animals, I may have had to go in my back yard with a garden hose and put out spot fires, or clear brush. I didn't know anything until I got dressed grabbed my gear and cat and went outside. All I knew was there was a fire and it was very close. If you want to split hairs about the difference between an emergency and bug out situation (commonly known as an emergency where you grab everything and run) it's your right to play dumb Chuck. Or be dumb (sorry I mean or keep it 'real'). Whichever. I tried. :rolleyes:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Just 1???? I would grab my PM2 s30v, because I am cheating and have my Assist in my car. In a true emergency scenario, my 1st pick would likely be the assist because you probably do not need a pointy end, but the glass breaker could be extremely useful.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ZMW wrote:Just 1???? I would grab my PM2 s30v, because I am cheating and have my Assist in my car. In a true emergency scenario, my 1st pick would likely be the assist because you probably do not need a pointy end, but the glass breaker could be extremely useful.
I honestly do not know why I don't have an Assist yet :confused: (it may have something to do with Spyderco putting out so many MUST HAVES ;) )
I think I will request it as a christmas or birthday gift this year. It looks like a very useful and capable knife.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

One sits my in car at all times. I found mine on ebay for pretty cheap. I know ebay can be dicey, but the assist does not seem like the type of model people would make fakes of. I can say the glass breaker works very well on tempered glass, like most cars have on the side windows. But I recently learned on a post that Michael Janich jumped into, some cars now make laminated side windows - so be careful on those. They are TOUGH!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Instead of a wheelbarrow pack them up in a suitcase. Or three. Of course your wife might get the wrong idea from the suitcases. Still, isn't that better than leaving even a single knife behind ? Maybe you can find a divorce attorney who will take knives in trade?

Hah! Yeah right!

As if you can find one that will take only your knives.

Joe
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

This thread needs a video.
https://youtu.be/YlcSA5KI4Lw
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

If i would have time to think, the knife of choice probably would be the millie in S110V - if not, i would be ok with any of my EDC Knives clipped in my Pocket.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting that you would launch this timely thread "ZROW" because just this past Saturday I was working with a minister friend of mine and they got in a hurried bind and needed a large, pallet sized, 4 foot tall cardboard box material severed on each side so they could move it immediately as the need has risen so quickly. Funny to say that I was the only one there even carrying any pocket knife what so ever. But I told Reverend Dale that I would get the job done ASAP and for everyone to get out of my way.

Then I took out my full Spyderedged Stainless Handled RESCUE model and went after that monster cardboard container like I really hated it and wanted to attack it with everything I had. Much even to my most pleasant surprise when I got the outer layer severed the rest of the cardboard ( almost one inch thick) parted like the RED SEA. I did the first side in about 2 minutes>> then I immediately went to the other side and again the outer layer went quickly and then I finished the job and everyone there absolutely marveled at how good that Stainless RESCUE model destroyed that cardboard container.

After doing the cutting jobs the lady volunteers said that I literally saved their day and eliminated about 4 hours of work they would otherwise had to have done and gave them access to stuff they needed ASAP. IT was cool because I was a hero for a brief moment but I humbly gave all the credit to the Stainless RESCUE model.

For emergency I would definitely grab my STainless handled, Spyderedged Stainless RESCUE model and then I would grab my M390 Military along with whichever Hawkbill would be handy. That knife performed incredibly well I'm telling you.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

shunsui wrote:This thread needs a video.
I liked the video ;)
JD Spydo wrote:Interesting that you would launch this timely thread "ZROW" because just this past Saturday I was working with a minister friend of mine and they got in a hurried bind and needed a large, pallet sized, 4 foot tall cardboard box material severed on each side so they could move it immediately as the need has risen so quickly. Funny to say that I was the only one there even carrying any pocket knife what so ever. But I told Reverend Dale that I would get the job done ASAP and for everyone to get out of my way.

Then I took out my full Spyderedged Stainless Handled RESCUE model and went after that monster cardboard container like I really hated it and wanted to attack it with everything I had. Much even to my most pleasant surprise when I got the outer layer severed the rest of the cardboard ( almost one inch thick) parted like the RED SEA. I did the first side in about 2 minutes>> then I immediately went to the other side and again the outer layer went quickly and then I finished the job and everyone there absolutely marveled at how good that Stainless RESCUE model destroyed that cardboard container.

After doing the cutting jobs the lady volunteers said that I literally saved their day and eliminated about 4 hours of work they would otherwise had to have done and gave them access to stuff they needed ASAP. IT was cool because I was a hero for a brief moment but I humbly gave all the credit to the Stainless RESCUE model.

For emergency I would definitely grab my STainless handled, Spyderedged Stainless RESCUE model and then I would grab my M390 Military along with whichever Hawkbill would be handy. That knife performed incredibly well I'm telling you.
That's a great story JD :cool: And, a great example of the benefits of having a Spyderedge. PE probably wouldn't have worked as well.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It would greatly depend on the circumstances....
If I would be able to flee by car, I would grab my pelican case containing 90% of my folding Spydies. This would at least buy me time to make a more educated decision about which model(s) I would need to best suit the conditions.

If I only had time to grab the kids, wife and dogs, I would likely only have this knife and whatever was in my pockets at the time...

... and this is a common daily carry for me on my person.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

xceptnl wrote:It would greatly depend on the circumstances....
If I would be able to flee by car, I would grab my pelican case containing 90% of my folding Spydies. This would at least buy me time to make a more educated decision about which model(s) I would need to best suit the conditions.

If I only had time to grab the kids, wife and dogs, I would likely only have this knife and whatever was in my pockets at the time...

... and this is a common daily carry for me on my person.
good looking knife!

nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Bloke wrote:
I reckon I'd be wishing I had more arms like that Indian God Vishnu or whatever his name is. Anyhow, I couldn't let my knives burn so I'd have to drop my serong, chuck my knives in the middle and carry them out like Santa Claus only naked.
Vishnu is a Hindu/Vedic deity usually depicted with four arms.

Not to be confused with Avalokiteshvara (Guanyin) Bodhisattva, with a thousand helping hands of compassion:

(we will forgive the introduction of the LadyBug H1 in the photo; the thousand arms may use a multitude of tools for helping.)

As for emergently decamping the premises: Knives in cars; knives in BOBs (BICEPP bags! ;); knife or two in pockets. Have BTDT incl fire evacs in SoCal. The knives are covered, and don't warrant a second's thought.

Other concerns are top priority and not because of attachment per se, but necessities and utility for family and others, and professional duties and responsibilities.

kind regards,
a.non

PS:xceptional-- I like your choice
vivi

Post by vivi »

My Pacific Salt SE is my "I need to leave right now and I need a folder that will handle anything I might encounter" knife. If I'm in a rush to leave the house and not 100% sure which knife to bring, I always reach for that, and sometimes a full sized PE folder to back it up.

My Aqua Salt is my "It's the end of the world and I want a knife that will last longer than I will" knife. I take it camping and hiking, with it being my go to knife for building fires, processing food in the outdoors, and any general cutting task.

Either of those will work ;)
:unicorn