Paul Alexander's Sliverax C228CFP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
loremipsum

Paul Alexander's Sliverax C228CFP

Post by loremipsum »

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP228C ... te-handles

I had been very interested for one. Want to know if it uses bronze washers?

Thanks!
dolor sit amet
Evil D

Re: Paul Alexander's Sliverax C228CFP

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure any of us know yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

loremipsum wrote:Want to know if it uses bronze washers?
The production prototype is running on ball bearings. Haven't handled a final production piece yet, but it was designed as a bearing pivot, so I'd give it a 99.9% probability that the version you'll have a chance to purchase will be running on ball bearings with steel liners.

Hope that doesn't disappoint,
- Paul
loremipsum

Post by loremipsum »

paulwa wrote:
loremipsum wrote:Want to know if it uses bronze washers?
The production prototype is running on ball bearings. Haven't handled a final production piece yet, but it was designed as a bearing pivot, so I'd give it a 99.9% probability that the version you'll have a chance to purchase will be running on ball bearings with steel liners.

Hope that doesn't disappoint,
- Paul
Hello Paul,

Thank you very much for your clarification. IMO your designs are genius, the Silver(ax)'s design philosophy completely reflect my personal preference, and the material used is very reasonable. I will be ordering it with your assurance.

Please consider designing a smaller version of the Silver(ax) in the future, as some of us around the world are subjected to "catch all/reasonableness" law. A smaller 2.5 inches blade could be a fine addition, as the market lacks quality EDC folder at this size.

Allow me to share what just happened with you:
loremipsum wrote: Image

SpydieFood Story: was having morning tea with parents on a fine Sunday. Manager saw dad taking photo with Cricket. Asked, "Isn't it an illegal weapon? Won't the cop arrest you?" Such inquiry is very impolite if not offensive. Remember guys: no matter how reasonable the situation maybe, some sheeple will enforce their verbal violence on you.
So, if the manager did call the cops, having a 2.5 inches blade on me would give us an even better chance. Have a wonderful day!
dolor sit amet
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

loremipsum wrote:A smaller 2.5 inches blade could be a fine addition, as the market lacks quality EDC folder at this size.
I have a few sub 2.5" blade designs complete and have a few others planned, but nothing that I've mocked up or submitted to Spyderco yet. (Smaller tends to be harder; less room to package everything, less length to develop the curves and lines of the design, etc.) I also don't typically take one design across different size ranges, but would be willing if there was enough interest or if the Spyderco crew requested it.

In the meantime, why don't you just join me and pretty much the rest of the forum in drooling over the Lil' Native variants on the horizon.

- Paul
loremipsum

Post by loremipsum »

paulwa wrote:
loremipsum wrote:A smaller 2.5 inches blade could be a fine addition, as the market lacks quality EDC folder at this size.

In the meantime, why don't you just join me and pretty much the rest of the forum in drooling over the Lil' Native variants on the horizon.

- Paul
The lil Native is on the must buy list. Just that your designs are unique and make a lot of sense.

Just hope they release the lil Native with some sprints like Elmax, s90v CF and XHP and so on.
dolor sit amet
archangel

Post by archangel »

Is it at all possible to build a flipper similar or at least very close to the Sliverax design but with a 2.5 inch blade?

If yes, I'm sure many many people could very much get used to wearing it.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

From what I saw at Blade Show, the Sliverax is on bearings, with Spyderco's revamped flipper engineering, and with no washers. The Ti-handled bearing-pivot models have washers to prevent the bearings from wearing a race into the Ti, but with the Sliverax having steel liners that's not an issue and the washers would be redundant.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2