Manix 2 Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
El Gato

Manix 2 Sprint Run

Post by El Gato »

I am trying to bond with my Manix 2 LW, but I just can't get used to the FRCP frame. It is light, practically disappears in the pocket, and is easy to carry, but it just doesn't feel "right" to me, especially after handling the Manix 2 with the skeletonized stainless steel liners and G-10 scales.

I would really like to see a Sprint Run of the Manix 2 with skeletonized liners and G-10 scales but with a blade of either K390, Maxamet, or PMA11 steel. I know I am not the only one here who prefers a non-stainless blade, and the only non-stainless blade option offered currently is the LW FRCP frame with Maxamet blade.

Would anyone else be interested in seeing a Sprint Run or a Dealer Exclusive in this combination of the Manix 2?

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. :)

Dave

(I'm trying to avoid doing the blade swap thing .....)
NiallRiv

Re: Manix 2 Sprint Run

Post by NiallRiv »

I am very interested in what you are proposing. My first choice for blade steel would be K390 in a skeletonized SS liner/G10 configuration. I think that would be a very stout working knife, capable of doing a wide range of tasks. Plus lefty friendly. As far as the G10 color, I would leave that to the powers that be, but would favor a new/bright color. Thank you El Gato for this thread.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

They just released the Carbon Fiber Manix 2 Composite with S90V/CPM154

I'd be interested in other sprints as well though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I think the Maxamet G10 Manix2 will likely be a production piece soon enough. Have you tried the Cruwear CF sprint that was released this year? Lightest Manix2 to date and non-stainless steel.

It has been WAY too long since they release an M4 sprint, just sayin ;) CF M4 Backlock FTW!
Donut

Post by Donut »

K390 would be pretty sweet, but I don't know if it really gives me anything over S110V or Maxamet.

Maybe it has a hair of wear resistance over S110V and a hair less than Maxamet. I think I have enough Manix sprints. You're probably looking for the G-10 M4 sprint, but it was run with not so great looking, easy to get dirty, Tan scales. I got some smooth green scales for my M4 Manix from one of the people on the forum here.

I say carry and use the lightweight more. After carrying and using my S110V lightweight, I chose it over the G-10 with liners almost every time. The liners don't really offer me anything but extra weight and maybe a tiny bit of strength.

Have you ever heard that if you try to bend something and it doesn't give, it will probably break before something that will just bend?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

A 52100 with peel ply CF would go nicely with the Military.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'd no doubt buy a Maxamet or K390 G-10 model -- I've averaged a new Manix/month lately :o

But a word about the lightweights: I bought the FRCP S110V when it came out and liked it for the light weight and discrete deep clip for times when I didn't want it to be obvious that I was carrying a knife (plus I put on a deeper-carry anodized Sage clip). But I never really took to the lightweight M2's or put them in the same class with the G-10 models. I've even started back carrying my heavy non-skeletonized PS and black/black ones because I like their extra heft and more aftward balance. Also, I didn't much like blue knives at the time... and I thought I'd never buy an orange knife except maybe a rescue type.

Then I decided to buy the orange S110V exclusive and swap the blade into my heavy PS G-10 model's frame (got tired of PS, like almost everybody else). But that orange knife has not left my pocket, except for use, for about a month. All of my notions about weight, etc., have taken a big hit, if not flown out the window. I liked the knife so much, I submitted its picture to the calendar contest and it won a slot for me. Needless to say, I've called off my blade transfer.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

I would really really like to see a manix 2 with m390. M390 is my favorite steel right now. I like it better than cpm-20cv but I haven't really tested cts-204p so I can't say which I would like better. To me m390 seems tougher than CPM-20cv so my choice would be M390 blade with blue twill scales. But if it had to be g10 scales I would take them in royal blue.
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

If toughness is your top priority, K390 is tougher than M390 but is a tool steel. Although in my 4 or 5 year experience with K390, it wants to patina more than rust and I live on a salty Maine island (I've gotten a spot of rust on my CTS-204P Para if that means anything..)
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

NiallRiv wrote:If toughness is your top priority, K390 is tougher than M390 but is a tool steel. Although in my 4 or 5 year experience with K390, it wants to patina more than rust and I live on a salty Maine island (I've gotten a spot of rust on my CTS-204P Para if that means anything..)
I'll be honest I haven't done my homework on K390 (Only because I don't want to add another knife to the want list). How does it compare to edge retention? One of the reasons I like M390 so much is it holds a edge retention. I don't mind a patina, I like it as it adds character. My Mantra pretty much looks black from my sweat.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

MMGRenovations wrote:
NiallRiv wrote:If toughness is your top priority, K390 is tougher than M390 but is a tool steel. Although in my 4 or 5 year experience with K390, it wants to patina more than rust and I live on a salty Maine island (I've gotten a spot of rust on my CTS-204P Para if that means anything..)
I'll be honest I haven't done my homework on K390 (Only because I don't want to add another knife to the want list). How does it compare to edge retention? One of the reasons I like M390 so much is it holds a edge retention. I don't mind a patina, I like it as it adds character. My Mantra pretty much looks black from my sweat.
I, for one, really like K390. My K390 mule developed a patina right away from peeling and cutting up fruit and veggies, but I haven't had any problems with rust. It has great edge retention. I don't have any M390 to compare it to.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

Well did some homework and I think I would like a Manix 2 in K390. I don't see much offered with that steel and Manix 2 is my favorite platform.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

MMGRenovations wrote:Well did some homework and I think I would like a Manix 2 in K390. I don't see much offered with that steel and Manix 2 is my favorite platform.
+1 here. I would love to see the Manix 2 with a K390 blade. That could easily become my all time favorite :spyder: .
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

El Gato wrote:
MMGRenovations wrote:Well did some homework and I think I would like a Manix 2 in K390. I don't see much offered with that steel and Manix 2 is my favorite platform.
+1 here. I would love to see the Manix 2 with a K390 blade. That could easily become my all time favorite :spyder: .
What sort of handle would you like with that? I would take just about anything, but would rather not have light gray. I'd like very dark gray, dark green, or brown G-10. Would take dark blue or black G-10 or peelply CF. Normally, I like to try new steels in a lightweight Manix, but I've already tried K390 in a mule, so I'm ready for it in a G-10 or CF model.

...or fluted titanium :eek: now that really could be my all time favorite.

ETA: I would definitely buy a Manix 2 sprint or exclusive in with the materials of the distributor exclusive Yojimbo 2: Black S90V blade & coyote brown G-10 scales :cool:
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I'd be very interested in this sprint if it were to happen. K390 would be great, I'd take it in either a G10 or LW package.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

DougC-3 wrote:
El Gato wrote:
What sort of handle would you like with that? I would take just about anything, but would rather not have light gray. I'd like very dark gray, dark green, or brown G-10. Would take dark blue or black G-10 or peelply CF. Normally, I like to try new steels in a lightweight Manix, but I've already tried K390 in a mule, so I'm ready for it in a G-10 or CF model.

...or fluted titanium :eek: now that really could be my all time favorite.
Personally I would choose Dark Green G-10, just because I like green and G-10. I'd like skeletonized ss liners with that too please. :)
Grey seems to be the handle color chosen to go with Maxamet. Maybe Green could be assigned to K390.
But I would buy a K390 Manix 2 in just about any color, because, for me, my next Manix 2 would be all about the blade steel.

Dave