Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by Evil D »

This is a sister thread to Hopweaver's thread. We've all probably had knives we expected to love but just didn't once we got them in our hands. This doesn't have to be a negative, bashing type thread, a little discussion about things we don't like and why is healthy for development and feedback.

So, what are some knives you thought you'd like but ended up not liking them? Also, are there any that you did initially like but lost interest in? Why?

1. Para 2. This is probably my biggest "fell out of love" story. It's really not because it isn't a great knife, it's more about finding others that just work better for me, or more specifically better for my hand size. The grip just doesn't feel right for me. It's Ok-ish when choked up on the choil, but just feels all wrong behind the choil and the pinky bump has always been an issue. Ultimately I found the Manix 2 worked better in those areas.

2. Native 5. This was a real shocker to me because it was a knife I really wanted to love since the original Lightweight was my first Spyderco. Again, it isn't because it's not a great knife, it's just too small. I found myself carrying the Manix 2 much more and since they're pretty similar in ergonomics, the N5 became redundant. I'm watching the Shaman closely though.

3. Manbug. I almost feel partially responsible for this knife existing, though I can't be sure. I do remember asking for a beefier version of the Ladybug, but I also remember not getting a lot of support in the idea. This is a good example of not knowing what's best for me because for the size of these knives, I much prefer a thinner blade and handle because I carry it on my keys. I also wasn't a big fan of the upswept tip and prefer the lower tip of the Ladybug. Even with my big hands I don't have a problem using the Ladybug, especially with a fob or keys attached to it.

4. Domino. Great knife, too small. In the initial release pics, I thought this knife was basically a flipper Manix 2, and I was seriously excited for it. The final design was just a bit too stubby for my taste.

5. Manix 2 XL. This one came after I found some love for the Manix 2, so I really expected to love it. But, it's big in all the wrong places and the blade profile changed too much from the original. If they'd just take the Manix 2 and stretch it out about 3/4 inch in the blade and handle but not change the overall shape, that might dethrone the Military for me.

I've got more but it's time to go to work :(
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jdw

Re: Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by jdw »

I wish that I could add something but your first two are exactly how I feel. I really wanted to love the PM2 and I have tried several times but it just doesn't feel right in my hand. Something about the ergos are all wrong for me. Similar story to the N5. When I first got one I had read so much hype about them that I thought that I was going to get a Superknife but it is just too small and too similar to a M2 when I can go with the beefier blade on the M2..... I am pretty sure that I just committed board heresy. ;)
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Eli Chaps

Re: Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by Eli Chaps »

Sage 5. It is a great knife in most all respects, it just doesn't fit my hand right. Unless I use the forward choil, the butt end hits the meat of my palm. I also learned I'm not as infatuated with the compression lock as I thought I was.

Speaking of finger choils...

Stretch 2. All the stats and pictures looked soooo promising. Something that would nestle right in there between the Delica and Endura. I love VG10, FRN and backlocks so this offering looked quite tasty. Then I got it and did not like the in-hand feel at all. Again, if you use the choil it isn't too bad but with just the regular grip the handle pinches my middle two fingers and the clip digs into my hand. A very cool knife that just doesn't work for me.

Other than the M2LW, I'm discovering that I'm not a big fan of the Spyderco finger choil designs.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I guess I'd have to say, it's my Manix 2 LW. This was my first experience with the LW FRCP frame. I got the knife for its Maxamet blade and, for me at least, what's not to like about Maxamet? I've loved Maxamet ever since I got it in my Mule. But I am one of those who likes a bit of heft and solid feel in my knives, and the Light Weight frame just doesn't feel quite "right" to me. Light and easy to carry, certainly, but just not quite what I personally prefer in a knife.

If there were to be a Manix 2 with the ss liners and G-10 scales combined with the Maxamet blade, I believe that could become a favorite knife for me. But unfortunately, I have laid the Manix 2 LW aside and gone back to my Maxamet Mule again for edc. I have the Mule with me right now.

The only way to really know, is to "buy and try". Some knives turn out to become favorites, others not so much.
"All good, just different". :)

Dave
Last edited by El Gato on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

1) Delica. Too small for my man paws, and honestly if there's no difference in the amount of the handle sticking out of my pants pocket, what's the point of not carrying more steel? I'd go with the Endura 10 out of 10 times, except I got the Delica in ZDP-189, so I carry it for the novelty of it

2) S30V steel in general, but on my Manix 2 in particular. I know what micro-chipping is. Let's say that.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Southard Flipper. Blade geometry and steel attracted me, and the flipper had me curious. In spite of the excellent build quality, I found the flipper pushed my hand, which already wanted more real estate, too far back. I get the same sensation with DF2, but it's a small knife...

Original Manix2 LW. Got it for the S110V (my first). Discovered I have no real love for S110V (now have several specimens) and absolutely none for FRCP. Moreover, I've come to dislike the lightening of robust designs.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

My "only" are due to how pocket filling they are. BBLs in Phoenix and D'Allara make them both so wide I just never carry them. I love the action and the grip. In use they are terrific but they're so big in pocket I just never carry either of them. Even the Dodo was too wide. If I was a belt sheath guy they'd work fine but I prefer a knife clipped RFP so, no love. Pity because I really love the BBL.

Good companion thread, David.

Ken
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't want to sound like a total "fan man" but I've liked every Spyderco purchase I've made even more than I thought I would, almost without exception.
(I am kind of picky in my selection process though).

There was one notable exception to this, the all black G-10 Manix 2. I didn't buy the knife for me, it was for my best friend, but before I gave it to him I took it out of the box and played around with it a little, thinking I might pick one up for myself.... It was not love at first sight. I think the lock being brand new and not worn in yet may have contributed to me not liking it, the blade shape wasn't doing anything for me either, and I couldn't decide if I liked the liners or not. After about a minute I decided I wouldn't be buying myself a Manix to match my buddies.... A year and a half later I pick up my buddies Manix again while we are hanging out and cut up a few boxes with it, and I really like it, I wonder to myself, why didn't I think I liked this before? This knife is awesome. So yeah, eventually they all seem to win me over. :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

caly 3.5. cf. can't put a finger on it but we don't click. it sits in the box basically never used.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Evil D wrote: So, what are some knives you thought you'd like but ended up not liking them? Also, are there any that you did initially like but lost interest in? Why?

1. Para 2. This is probably my biggest "fell out of love" story.
For me also. If I would never have bought a Military I probably would have been fine with it. Neat design, good steel. It just doesn't give me the "this is it!" feeling I get with my Millies. Sal really nailed this one. If Spyderco only made one knife as far as I'm concerned the Military would justify their whole existence.

I think the Native 5 is much better than I expected. The control you get with the way everything is contoured is amazing. The fact they sell it in Maxamet doesn't hurt either.

My biggest fail to date has to be the Benchmade Presidio (old version) . 'nuff said.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Zen

Post by Zen »

Enuff with Leaf Blade. The handle was very ergonomic but just a little bit too thin for my hands. It tended to tilt in my fingers when I grabbed it with full force. Overall a super knife but just too thin at the handle. Maybe I would buy it again in H1 or LC2000 and with a Wharncliffe blade anyway :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

This is a hard one for me. I've kept every spydie I've ever bought (for myself) except a dupe cruwear Millie which I very much liked. The closest I can come is, surprisingly, the PM2 and the original Stretch "2", two of the most popular. In both cases, the reason is the way they feel in hand. With the PM2, I like better the ones that are more chamfered around the edges or, better yet, have slightly contoured custom scales (don't own one of these--all my spydies are original so far). This little bit of contouring makes a really big difference to me, and I may start contouring mine at some point. As for the Stretch, the handle just feels a little tight in hand and I never quite got used to the blade shape. I like the brown G-10 new Stretch 2 better in both areas.

Also, I love my Nishijin Cricket, but found one-hand-lefty closing a little difficult ;) (not so with any other spydie I have). I realize rapid one-hand closing of the Cricket is usually not vital in the field :p

I was disappointed that the Mantra was not bigger, but I found this out by handling it in a store and didn't actually buy it, so this is off topic ;)

Also, I originally liked the 5.1oz G-10 Manix2 best, then favored the skeletonized sprints & exclusives at ~4.15-4.5oz, not caring much for the FRCP lightweights. Now my new orange S90V M2 has me liking all my lightweights. But I find myself still liking the balance of my original 5.1oz heavyweights too -- they should just be regarded as different knives for different purposes or occasions and not be mutually exclusive IMO.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Evil D wrote:This is a sister thread to Hopeweaver's thread.
Great idea Evil D. I think this is an excellent counterpart to the original. I have two that fit this category: The Dodo and Yojimbo.

Dodo: Several months ago I picked up a Dodo and I really tried to like it. But I quickly found accessing the ball bearing lock was extremely difficult for my big fingers. It was not a joy to open or close. Because of that experience it turned me off of the D'Allara, which I was honestly looking forward to purchasing when I first saw it in the catalog.

Yojimbo: Here is another cool knife that I wanted to like. I really enjoy the ergos when the blade is open. It fits the hand perfectly. One of the best ergos of any knife. The blade shape is also fantastic. But my biggest gripe was getting pinched. The geometry in the compression lock area found a way to occasionally pinch my index finger when I opened the blade. It didn't happen all the time, mainly because I adjusted my grip and how I opened the knife. However every now and then it would surprise me. Ouch!
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Eee

Post by Eee »

The Spyderco Forager. It was my first Spyderco and I still think they look fantastic. The ergos seemed great at first, but I discovered my dislike of sharpening recurves and the edge was way too obtuse (more so than my axe).

I agree on the PM2. I love the Millie and the PM1, but there is just something about the ergonomics doesn't click with me. i think it's how thin it is around the 'waist' (where your middle finger sits).

I bought a friend of mine a G10 Manix 2. I expected to really like it, but the jimping put me off getting one of my own.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

This is a good topic and thread. It's tough, there aren't many spydies I've bought and didn't like.

I really wanted to love the Gayle Bradley 2, it seemed so great and I'd heard such great things. But it was just too big for me to really carry. Even though I regularly carry a PM2, Manix2 and stretch, it just seemed too much. If it was smaller it would be great though.

I also struggle with the Native 5, and I haven't given up yet. But I've bought and sold it a few times. I'm not even sure what it is, maybe the choil, maybe the blade height, maybe the shape? Or maybe I just love the Delica too much. It should be great, but it just seems to miss somewhere. That said, I am considering the Maxamet N5 as my next purchase, so there is still hope.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Eee wrote:The Spyderco Forager. It was my first Spyderco and I still think they look fantastic. The ergos seemed great at first, but I discovered my dislike of sharpening recurves and the edge was way too obtuse (more so than my axe).

I agree on the PM2. I love the Millie and the PM1, but there is just something about the ergonomics doesn't click with me. i think it's how thin it is around the 'waist' (where your middle finger sits).

I bought a friend of mine a G10 Manix 2. I expected to really like it, but the jimping put me off getting one of my own.
I find the PM1 and the Para 3 more comfortable than the PM2, even though they're smaller (P-3 anyway) and I have large hands. With the PM1, it may be because it has good chamfering.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Calypso Jr LW: Love the scales, hate the ergos
Military Fluted TI and 52100: Didnt like the feel of the original blued military, was way too big for itself, felt like opening and closing a chainlink fence gate, didnt like how the contoured scales left the edges of the pocket clip floating in space. The CF on the 52100 was unfinished and felt like it would splinter on an edge and stab me in the hand region at an inopportune moment. Sent both back.
Manix 2 LW: my favorite spyderco knife to facepalm over. The translucent scales had me excited for months until i actually received it. I read and reread the box to see if the FRCP had been changed to FRCPOS, but alas i was at a loss. Handled it for 4 minutes before i sent it back.
Original native LW in PINK: The pink was...just too ****...pink. I like the new pink native, its more barbie pink. The first one was like margaret thatcher on steroids doing the valsalva manoeuvre in broad daylight naked with a pair of electric wellies stuffed with live angry anchovies pink. It made the blade look green and sick, poor little sick blade. That and it was rusting. I sent it back.
UKPK LW leaf blade: Loved the finish and build, hated the ergos. Sent it back.
PM2: Based on my love for the build of the my Yo2 i ordered on even though the one i had held in my b+m underwhelmed me, partly due to hype contrarianism, partly due to the mall ninja digicam. I ordered, and carried here and there, a stock black scale satin blade, and was just genuinely disinterested in its middle of the road personalityless meh factor. It was trying to hard to be everything to everyone all the time and i was resentful of its inability to choose a side. To spite its pertinence i sold it for less than it was worth.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

**** is not a swear word ps.
Anubisman

Post by Anubisman »

Q-Ball. I wonder with after market scales with larger cut out access to the lock If I could like it more. I'm going to sell it off soon.
DougB2

Post by DougB2 »

Not sure of the model number, but it was the Wayne Goddard folder with brown micarta scales. I liked almost everything about it except that it was an absolute pain to open. Lubed it, opened and closed it over and over again and it never got easier so I sold it.