Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by anycal »

For me it was the Gayle Bradley 2.

It never happened to me before, but instant regret as soon as I pulled it out of the box. Liked it in pictures, wanted to try M4, those who have it love it. It just didn’t appeal to me. I can’t explain it, but the first impression was that it just felt too ordinary in hand, like a butter knife. I didn’t ‘need’ it. I returned it the day I got it.
Peter
SpeedHoles

Re: Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by SpeedHoles »

Quick run down for me.

Chaparral.
Southard Flipper.
Walker C22.
Techno.
Salsa.

I don't necessarily dislike any of those, still occasionally carry a few, but despite all the numerous fans and backers of each of those models, I didn't necessarily connect with them like some other designs I carry often.
Going back to Caly.
dreadpirate

Re: Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by dreadpirate »

It's amazing to me how one person's trash is another person's treasure.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Large Persian, Phoenix.

Probably quite a few, but they are slipping my mind.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I was disappointed by the PM2 and Stretch 1 because of hand fit and, with the PM2, lack of chamfering on the G-10. Also I really like my nishijin cricket, but I was disappointed by the difficulty of quickly and safely closing it one-handed-left-handed. Some knives are uncomfortable to me because of the place the clip strikes my palm. When I've tried deep carry metal clips, I've gone back to the regular hourglass, because they have sloped bends and are placed more comfortably.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was surprised by the Native 5. I love the looks of the knife. However, once I actually got one, I didn't care for it all that much. For me, the hole in the blade, once the blade is closed, is just a tad too far back. So, when I try to open the knife my thumb hits towards the tang/end of the knife instead of dead in the hole. A Delica, Endura, Manix 2, and etc. place my thumb perfectly. However, the most egregious thing is that the choil gets in the way of cutting, and it often binds in the material I am cutting. I think this would be a far better knife if the choil were removed and the guard moved forward as on the Delica. Don't let my comments sound as if I hate the knife, because I don't. It is a fine knife, it is just not perfect.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

For me it was these:

Southward flipper: didn't like the clip, and it never felt right in my hand.

Positron: Was a neat design, but I'm not a fan of flipper-only blade deployment.

Bradley 2: Didn't like its lack of choil and I disliked the change of blade to handle angle from the first one. Too much lock stick.

Szabo folder: self close mechanism required spring modification to make it a tolerable folder to open.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

For me it was the Advocate:
- flipping action doesn’t compare to my Domino & Mantra 1
- texture of the ‘orange peel’ scales feel slippery unlike the scales in others like the Mantra/K2/Spydie Chef

Mainly open it using the Spydie hole; I do love the blade shape & M4 steel :spyder:
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Yojimbo 2 ergos just never worked for me. Tried to like the Yo2 but it didn't last long in my collection.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

This would be the Rock Lobster for me.

Loved the look of it, but once in hand, it didn't work for me. It's a shame because it was a super cool knife imo.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hossom Forester.

I puchased one the same week I traded an S90V Military for a Scrapyard Dogfather. I compared them head to head and decided to keep the Dogfather over the Forester.

The Forester had a thicker edge and thinner spine. It penetrated northern hardwoods very poorly, bouncing off as often as it'd chop into trees. Being recurved, and not owning any powered solutions, I wasn't excited about trying to reprofile the edge to a thinner angle.

The Dogfather was thicker as the spine, saber ground instead of full flat ground, came with a thinner edge and was easier to reprofile. It bit deeper and more aggressively when chopping, thanks to the better edge and increased mass.

Strike two was the handle. The shape was ergonmic, but the scales came loose enough to fall off the knife within one chopping session. The Dogfather has a molded on handle that lacked this issue, and the rubberized material absorbed shock better than the exposed tang of the Forester.

I'd still like to try out a reprofiled Forester because I like the overall design, but the Dogfather has served me well for the past decade and shows no signs of ever dying.
:unicorn
Nextup

Post by Nextup »

The Techno , I wanted to love it but it just doesn't fit my hand. Seems like it needs a 50/50 choil.
orangejuice

Post by orangejuice »

Techno. Can’t seem to find a good grip, blade is to thick for my liking.
Drink juice