Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Archimedes

Re: Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by Archimedes »

The Pattada. Looked great on paper. I just did not like it. I was hoping for a sort of ethnic Military. The Military is a 100 times better in terms of materials and build quality and overall feel. The Military is special.
ricechrispy

Re: Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by ricechrispy »

Fluted Ti Military: I so wanted this knife and jumped at the chance when I got a great deal on one back when they were still blue. It was so cool looking and very smooth, but I found myself reaching for my G10 XHP Military way more often since it was so much lighter. I eventually sold the Flute Ti Millie.

Superleaf: The ergonomics of the knife looked like they'd be great and I loved the compression lock and blade shape, but I find it to be pretty uncomfortable in hand. It also takes up a lot of pocket real estate and I don't like the wire clip.
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

Archimedes wrote:The Pattada. Looked great on paper. I just did not like it. I was hoping for a sort of ethnic Military. The Military is a 100 times better in terms of materials and build quality and overall feel. The Military is special.
Could you describe your experience in a little more detail, please? I'd wanted that knife ever since I saw it in a catalogue, and the new Police is coming from the same factory...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm the same with all the titanium Military's. They seem like a no brainer because I love titanium and love frame locks but a big part of why I love the Military is because of the size to weight ratio, and the extra weight just ruins that for me. I'm fine with G10/CF.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vilePossum

Re: Name a Spyderco knife you thought you would like but didn't once you owned it.

Post by vilePossum »

Lil Nilakka: just doesn't work for me to reliably and safely open one handed. I guess as a two handed version it works fine.

Spyderco urban: I like the UK pen knife and I love the delica... the urban is just ... off.

Native 5 G10: as much as I like my native 5 LW the G10 version, though prettier, doesn't grip as comfortable and weights too much. Wondering about the fluted TI and the carbon version though.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Techno: I knew the size dimensions when I purchased, I like LBKs. It fit in my hand okay but it just didn't come close to the DF2 or Manbug. Also, the blade stock thickness; I knew how thick it was and thought I would be fine with it, but in the end I sold it.
Stretch 2 G10: it is just too thin, and the tip is not as pointy as the original Stretch.
Manix 2 XL: just too big and wide; the Millie is slightly longer, but so much more graceful.
Chaparral: liked almost everything about it, just too thin of a handle. And the ergos weren't quite as good for me compared to the Native 5.
Mantra 1 and 2: really tried to love these, sold them both because the flipper action just wasn't smooth. Also, my hand sweat defeats CPM M4.

The most memorable one is the Southard flipper. Great materials, excellent quality and construction. It just wasn't smooth enough, the ergos weren't that good, and the blade was much too thick for my liking. Also, did not like the asymmetric aspect of the handle.

The Military, PM2, Native, Manix, Calys, Delica and Dragonfly are all winners in my book.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

D-Fly, Manbug, Southard, Millie, Salsa, Native5, Sage 1-3, GB 2..John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

The military. It's the perfect knife except for using a liner lock. I like the simplicity of liner locks, but have been bitten by closing a LL knife too quickly. Doesn't happen with compression locks.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

Spyderco Techno

Never liked the design. Too fat and heavy I thought... Now I bought one and I really like it!
The CTS-XHP is a strange steel to sharpen though. But it gets a killer edge on the Wicked Edge!
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

krikun98 wrote:
Archimedes wrote:The Pattada. Looked great on paper. I just did not like it. I was hoping for a sort of ethnic Military. The Military is a 100 times better in terms of materials and build quality and overall feel. The Military is special.
Could you describe your experience in a little more detail, please? I'd wanted that knife ever since I saw it in a catalogue, and the new Police is coming from the same factory...
It is not really easy to explain. The knife just did nothing for me. It is nicely built but feels sort of dated? Compared to the 51200 Military I carried since it came out. I gave my 52100 to some guy I met in the Sierra's who was into knives and switched to CTS 204P Military which really right now is my favorite. The Pattada is not bad and had I not been carrying a Military would probably be great, but when compared by me, the Military is just better.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Ruudr wrote:Spyderco Techno

Never liked the design. Too fat and heavy I thought... Now I bought one and I really like it!
The CTS-XHP is a strange steel to sharpen though. But it gets a killer edge on the Wicked Edge!
Wrong thread. ;)
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

ricechrispy wrote:
Ruudr wrote:Spyderco Techno

Wrong thread. ;)
Ow crap you are right, srry :cool:
gearedupdad

Post by gearedupdad »

The Military (sorta). I still like the knife, but hate that it's tip-down only.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

super leaf. action wasn't as great as the golden comp locks. also handle shape was weird.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JimP

Post by JimP »

The GB1, it has an almost perfect blade, loved the high hollow grind but the handle was just too oddly shaped for my hand and confirmed that I do not enjoy raised liners on a knife.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

PM2. For some reason, this knife never grew on me--which is strange because I actually like the design...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JimP wrote:The GB1, it has an almost perfect blade, loved the high hollow grind but the handle was just too oddly shaped for my hand and confirmed that I do not enjoy raised liners on a knife.
If it just had a more prominent lip at the end of the handle where your index finger rests it would easily be in my top 5 maybe top 3 but I just prefer a stronger guard feeling. I don't even like hollow grinds but I could probably live with this one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

About the only Spydie I didn't like was the Positron. Knife was sharp on the butt of the knife and the back spacer was proud of the frame/scales. One of the very few, that for me that didn't feel good in the hand. Imo, if the butt was rounded, the back spacer evened with the knife, and the clip removed, it would be a better knife. For those that like this one, don't get excited. ;) :spyder:
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

Para 3. My wife loves it, but my medium/large size hands dwarf it, and my pinky finger lands right on that little bump at the back of the handle.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

As a collector, none of them. I regret none of the Spyderco knives I have bought.

As a user, pretty much all of the knives with 4 inch handles that have choils (with the exception of the Caly 3 / UKPK). I just don't like choils unless I need it to get a full four finger grip on the handle (e.g. Chaparral, Kopa, Dragonfly), I'd much rather have the extra cutting edge.

The D'Allara 3 needs a mention here as well though - I knew before I bought it that the BBL was not going to really work for me but I REALLY like everything else about that knife and need to punt a backlock version that for me would be my ideal "big" folder.