Matriarch 2 First Blood

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jaxonunit

Matriarch 2 First Blood

Post by jaxonunit »

I just got my Matriarch 2 Lightweight in the mail and was bleeding within 5 minutes of unboxing it!

I read the included phamplet cover-to-cover because I like to tell myself I have at least SOME inpulse control, but then I pulled it out to open and close it a few dozen times.

I REALLY LIKE the look and feel of the knife, and just could not keep myself from playing around with it. I'm not a fan of the Emerson openers, so I got the traditional Matriarch blade, but then I decided to see how the other-half lives. I put a small zip-tie through the loop to try the quick-deploy trick---that's when the trouble started. :)

The knife partially opened, but not enough to stay that way. The beak went about two inches away from the handle, then snapped back down across the tip of my index finger. Not a serious cut, in fact, maybe just a little more than a medical blood-test lance would do---it's just always surprising how much blood flow you get from even a tiny wound in that spot. The Matriarch's beak is so sharp I never felt the cut, I thought the dull edge had just grazed my finger, so I didn't know I was bleeding until after I flicked it open again (the normal way) and saw a trickle running into the knife handle. The quantity of blood was actually kind of comical in a Monty Python sort of way. I was laughing hysterically when my wife rounded the corner and saw me holding the savage looking bloody Matriarch in one hand---and trying to get a paper towel with the other.

Me: It's just a flesh wound.
Wife: Isn't it always? Did you get another knife?
Me: No, sometimes the scars are emotional---and yes, It's a Matriarch 2 lightweight with fiberglass reinforced nylon handles and a curved blade made out of VG-10 Stainless steel that was especially designed for use on certain South Africans who were rumored to have been having trouble understanding the whole "no-means-no" thing.
Wife: Cool. Would you like a band-aid?
Me: Yes, please.

I got bandaged and cleaned up the knife before I cut the zip tie off. I think I'll just stick with the old pushing-the-hole method.
Tenacious Black Blade---Resilience---Persistence---Ambitious---Cara Cara 2---Hawkbill ---Manbug ---Tenacious Full SpyderEdge---Raven 2---Robin2---Matriarch 2

I'm only using black until Spyderco comes out with something darker.
cabfrank

Re: Matriarch 2 First Blood

Post by cabfrank »

Good story. I love the conversation between you and your wife. Sorry about your cut though. Be careful.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Congratulations!! Everyone should bond with a new knife.
Although there seems to be many different ways of doing so. :)

Mean little bugger, that Matriarch!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

jaxonunit wrote:I just got my Matriarch 2 Lightweight in the mail and was bleeding within 5 minutes of unboxing it!......
.....I REALLY LIKE the look and feel of the knife, and just could not keep myself from playing around with it. I'm not a fan of the Emerson openers, so I got the traditional Matriarch blade, but then I decided to see how the other-half lives. I put a small zip-tie through the loop to try the quick-deploy trick---that's when the trouble started. :)
Lulz, bet it feels sharp. ;)
jaxonunit wrote: The knife partially opened, but not enough to stay that way. The beak went about two inches away from the handle, then snapped back down across the tip of my index finger......
Anyone familiar with my postings will remember me raising this point when ever I talk about why I don't like back locks for self defense knives. And why I hope future versions of the Civilian and Matriarch have Compression Locks (Waved versions should use CBBL to reduce lock wear, the P'Kal has shown me the wisdom of this). Blades with Lock Backs (especially big curved blades) can bite you because of their strong self closing mechanism, a half opened lock back in an emergency situation can be a real liability and danger. (IMHO) :o
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

hahahaha those Matriarchs are real backstabbers!
Even the Lil' one has a very bad temper