Name a Spyderco knife you did not think you would like until you owned it.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopweaver

Name a Spyderco knife you did not think you would like until you owned it.

Post by Hopweaver »

This thread is for Spyderco knives that surprised you after you bought them. The Spyderco Catalog is substantial and you never 'really' know until you own it. I bought a Spyderco knife on a whim last week because I thought it looked interesting. That hunch paid off for me. I am wondering if you have followed through on a hunch that surprised the heck out of you too.

Here is my experience on this topic:
For a long time I thought the Para Military 2 was the best knife for me. It was the perfect size for my big hands.
Since taking the plunge into Spyderco last fall, I have bought many different models, always searching for my perfect knife. I am not sure if I have found it (at least thats what I am telling myself because I want to continue buying Spyderco knives) but last week's purchase really surprised me. It was the Gayle Bradley. I really didn't think I would like this knife but that couldn't be further from the truth. I love this knife. I used to struggle to pick my EDC each morning from the growing lineup of Spyderco knives, but lately the GB1 is always in my pocket. I am glad I followed through on my hunch.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
farnorthdan

Re: Name a Spyderco knife you did not think you would like until you owned it.

Post by farnorthdan »

The first couple that come to mind are the Nilakka and the Pattada, really most of the ethnic series. I've learned over the years to hold judgment of any of their knives until I get it in hand.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

The military. I was always turned off by the tip down clip and a little by the liner lock but this knife is a liner lock done right! I also learned to just carry it in my back pocket and I don't have any issues with the carry orientation. It's a very smooth blade that slices great and the point is perfect. For a larger blade, its hard to beat.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The Pingo

Bought it due to travelling a lot and heading to Europe. The amount of times I have used it from cutting stuff to buttering a sandwich in a remote part of Northern Australia. Even used it ( back of blade closed ) to open a military pressure box the other day that I couldn't of done with other knives. Luv the blade shape and thickness.
Have a lot of knives but this little one has been used a lot where other have been to big,noticeable/scary to others to be taken with me.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

The Native. I thought it was all hype. Now I have three.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Northglenn500 wrote:The Native. I thought it was all hype. Now I have three.
Thanks for the feedback. I have been watching both the Native and Sage but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Delica
P'Kal
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I guess for me it would be the Caly 3.5. I knew I would like the Caly in general but I wasn't crazy about having one with a 3.5" blade. Well...I was wrong! The handle isn't much bigger than my UKPKs (and I assume the Caly 3) and they sure do pack a lot of blade in there.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Stretch. I bought the HAP40 model, mainly because it was HAP40, not because I knew how comfortable and nice of knife it really is. Luckily, it didn't take long to realize!

It's one of my favorites now. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

K2. I thought it was too big. But **** yeah!! It's THE REAL THING!!!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Myrtle! I bought it just to give it a feel and then pass it on but I've grown to love its big recurve + hawkbill weirdness
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

Didn't like the PM2 till I handled one. Now got 3
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mushroom wrote:The Stretch. I bought the HAP40 model, mainly because it was HAP40, not because I knew how comfortable and nice of knife it really is. Luckily, it didn't take long to realize!

It's one of my favorites now. :spyder:
Yes, definitely the Stretch. I had even handled the knife a couple of times trying to like it with no luck. It wasn't until I bought the hap40 model (for the steel just like you) and made myself carry it for awhile that I really came to love the design. It is one of my top three favorite Spydies now!
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

The Centofante 3. I was turned off by the pinned construction and the swedge. But when I actually held one at a dealer and saw how slicey and well built it was, I just had to have one. It's one of my favorites now.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I never liked Memory until I bought it under peer pressure from Ken. In general I do not like many features of this knife: tip down carry, glassfiber, light blue color and smooth metal scales. Liner lock is one of mine least preferred. I love finger choil and Memory doesn't have it.
But I love the knife and enjoying the use and appearance. Thanks to Memory I find out that tip down, liner lock, glass fiber, smooth metal scales and absence of choil can be OK :)
Thanks Ken
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The Ulize has become one of my favorite EDCs. I would not have bought it but won it in the calendar contest. Good size blade and carries well. Ergonomics are great for me.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

It took me a long time to warm up to (ordering) the Military. The Manix LW was probably my biggest change from "no thanks" to "wow" once I owned one. FRCP s still my least favorite handle material, but the knife is awesome.

The Stretch wins for "liked it much more than I thought I would." Superb knife in every way, with Hap40 putting it over the top for me. Love that steel.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
anycal

Post by anycal »

I haven't really bought anything on a whim. Every purchase has been painfully analyzed over and over.

The one that made the biggest impression upon handling it (other than my first one) was the Military.
Peter
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

1st was the Stretch
2nd was the Manix 2
3rd was the Domino
Most recently... Yojimbo

Still haven't picked up a Dice; I might like that a lot as well as my Domino :spyder:
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Memory. I got one at a very discounted price and thought I'd give it a go. Scotchbrighted the blue off and now it is, aside from a Ladybug on my keys, my most carried Spyderco.

Centofante 3 - I always looked past it when browsing through the knife sites because it was "cheap" and "just" VG10 and I had enough Delicas in the same price range. I got one on a whim and it is, in my opinion, the best Spyderco in that price range and needs a sprint run.

Caly 3 ... I never really disliked it but it took a few years of staring at me from my drawer to become a regular feature in my rotation.