How do you justify your next Spydie purchase?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdog

How do you justify your next Spydie purchase?

Post by Tdog »

So I recently did an all-round brake job on my Toyota and an oil change on my wife's car. This morning got up and had no water. Tested at well and start capacitor was bad. Ran to the hardware, picked one up and replaced it. I figure the savings from paying someone else to do this justifies a new knife, :D my wife even agrees......yippee. :D How do you justify your next Spydie?
mrtodd777

Re: How do you justify your next Spydie purchase?

Post by mrtodd777 »

Two categories:
1. Absolute must haves (only one or two a year)
2. Deals to good to pass up (10-15)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sell a knife of another brand, buy more Spyderco :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Basically just having the extra cash or not. I've missed quite a few due to short funds. I don't like a lot of redundancy so I like to avoid knives that are too similar, with the exception of buying ones I really like in pairs or sprint steel variants but I even try to limit those too. Beyond all that if the price is high then the design and materials really need to speak to me or if I feel like a design will really serve a purpose for my uses beyond just casual EDC.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
attila

Post by attila »

I like to get new ones for variety, to experience new steels/locks/models.

Wife doesn't think I need more than one, but she understands that I have a condition. When we're not trying to save $$ for some big purchase (house at the moment), she doesn't mind. Currently, I have the ammo that "I told you last year that I'm gonna preorder it" for the Caly 3 but no justification for a sprint Para 3 or a Rhino (whenever these three become available, nobody knows...).

I just make sure it doesn't impact serious financial matters, and I can get away with a few per year no problem.

I found that I need to justify most purchases to myself, really, since I'm a budget-minded user, not a collector.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Alternate thread title: "Enabling 201" ;)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

I know this will not apply to you, but when one is no longer married to a woman with a penchant for alcohol and a coexisting bipolar disorder, your wallet suddenly becomes quite a bit heavier. Justification is really no longer needed.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

No justification here, I just accept that I'm a :spyder: addict and buy as many as I can, I keep telling myself I will sell the ones I don't use/carry but that hasn't happened yet :o
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
jdw

Post by jdw »

I justify it by having spent all of my disposable income for years raising a great son who has become an awesome man. Worth every minute of it.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I don't. I just say to myself "You're a bad boy...BAD boy," then hit the checkout button :)
anycal

Post by anycal »

Mrs and I pay for things separately - no joint account. She pays for some things, I pay for some things. When we are together, I generally pull out the credit card first. Now and them, I tell her to pay. When that happens, the amount gets earmarked as free money!

I let her pay the mortgage the other day. That's quite a few knives... :D
Peter
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I want it and I can afford it. No further justification necessary.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don't really justify it. If all the bills are paid and the family is well fed then any extra cash after that is discretionary spending.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Asking myself, "Why not .....?" has always worked well for me.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

For me it is tough. I have 2 small kids, have good income, but we spend basically all of it on preschool, house, kids, etc. So I have to be pretty prudent with my purchases. I buy 1-3 knives a year and to me that is reasonable. I just paid $150 for the new mule/scales/sheath for my big purchase of the year. Previous purchase was an Ebay assist for $47 (I could not pass that up). I bought the K390 urban maybe 6-9 months ago but that was pretty cheap.

I bargain shop for great deals and take advantage, limit to a few purchases a year, and when funds are good I will get a really nice knife that I have been wanting for a long time.

Moderation in everything folks! Easier said then done :)
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

The vast, vast majority of mine have been for special occasions: birthday, Christmas, Father's Day, Blade Show, etc., with a couple having been the special occasion of "my wife wanted to get me something nice on a whim". Really the only one that was totally at-random, on my own whim, is probably the Nirvana. Go big or go home...
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Because I wanted the shiny.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ZMW wrote:For me it is tough. I have 2 small kids, have good income, but we spend basically all of it on preschool, house, kids, etc. So I have to be pretty prudent with my purchases. I buy 1-3 knives a year and to me that is reasonable. I just paid $150 for the new mule/scales/sheath for my big purchase of the year. Previous purchase was an Ebay assist for $47 (I could not pass that up). I bought the K390 urban maybe 6-9 months ago but that was pretty cheap.

I bargain shop for great deals and take advantage, limit to a few purchases a year, and when funds are good I will get a really nice knife that I have been wanting for a long time.

Moderation in everything folks! Easier said then done :)
Your situation mirrors mine exactly. Daycare is killing us!

The only exception is that when I have extra money for myself, I spend it on knives instead of clothing, a social life, etc.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
archangel

Post by archangel »

I do not drink. I do not smoke. I do not go to pubs, or burn our money in any other "famous" way. I make sure that my wife and kids are fed and dressed decently, and that they enjoy their lives in the best way possible, as much as possible. Many times, if they ask, I say OK, yes. Sometimes I have to say NO. But I say NO to myself much more often. A few times per year, when I'm lucky, I take the liberty to say YES to my very own desires. Because it gives me joy and pleasure, and you never know how much time you have. 95% of the pleasure in my life comes from spending time with my family. The remaining 5% need to be fed, too.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

We have an understanding what's her's is her's and what's mine is hers; it's been working for the past 36 years :D

I just tell her what I'm getting and if I'm not home she makes sure to grab it from the mailbox for me, we're still dating after all these years