How do you justify your next Spydie purchase?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dc50

Re: How do you justify your next Spydie purchase?

Post by dc50 »

A lot of my friends have Motorhomes or fifth wheels as well as atv's and snowmobiles. So yeah I consider my knife purchases as minor to their toys. At least that's what I tell the Missus. :}
timlara

Post by timlara »

There are just too many knives I like these days for me to be a "collector" anymore, so my solution is that I've pared my collection down to a finite rotation of knives that I actually carry regularly. There are a few exceptions for "safe queens" that I just really, really like, but I'm trying to get away from that because it's just too expensive.

I made an end table with a drawer into my knife storage unit by cutting out slots in Kaizen Foam to hold my "permanent collection", and however many knives can fit in there are allowed to stay. Currently, I think I have about 15 slots, which is still quite a few more knives than any sane person needs...

So, when a new knife comes out that I just "must have", if there are no open slots in the drawer, then something else has to go to free up a slot -- and funds -- before a new knife can be added.

I will make occasional exceptions, for example if a highly limited sprint comes out and I don't have time to do the knife selling dance first, but for the most part I've been sticking to this system and it has worked well and made it somewhat easier to justify the incoming boxes to my wife. :D

(It helps that the resale value on Spydies is typically pretty good...although all the jerks selling clones on ebay has hurt things a bit.)
Tim
LDB

Post by LDB »

Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. Let's me justify any purchase I decide to make.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Quite easy! I’ve stopped eating but not completely because I still eat what people leave behind at the local McDonalds and the staff know me now and I get a few freebies. I don’t buy clothes any more but we live in an affluent part of Sydney and there are many quality garments hanging on nearby cloth lines, though correct sizing can be a bit of a problem. The local St Vincent de Paul charity shop has some nice men’s shoes very cheap but they don’t have security cameras and if I walk in bare foot I can usually walk out with shoes on my feet without raising suspicion.

Fuel can be is a little tricky. How many times can you do a runner from the same service station?

Anyhow I’m getting by. I wash with mud and sand at a pond in Centennial Park which is only a five minute walk from home and my skin has never looked or felt better. It’s nice in summer but it gets a little cool in winter and I’m amazed as to how much money can be saved by not buying soap, toilet paper, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors etc. and I wonder what I was ever thinking going to a hair dresser when a sharp Millie does a wonderful job on my hair. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

abbazaba wrote:Sell a knife of another brand, buy more Spyderco :)
This is exactly what I've been doing lately!!
Josh
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

My birthday is coming up soon, so I'm gonna get a plain edge, black blade Pacific Salt. Justified.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Bloke wrote:Quite easy! I’ve stopped eating but not completely because I still eat what people leave behind at the local McDonalds and the staff know me now and I get a few freebies. I don’t buy clothes any more but we live in an affluent part of Sydney and there are many quality garments hanging on nearby cloth lines, though correct sizing can be a bit of a problem. The local St Vincent de Paul charity shop has some nice men’s shoes very cheap but they don’t have security cameras and if I walk in bare foot I can usually walk out with shoes on my feet without raising suspicion.

Fuel can be is a little tricky. How many times can you do a runner from the same service station?

Anyhow I’m getting by. I wash with mud and sand at a pond in Centennial Park which is only a five minute walk from home and my skin has never looked or felt better. It’s nice in summer but it gets a little cool in winter and I’m amazed as to how much money can be saved by not buying soap, toilet paper, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors etc. and I wonder what I was ever thinking going to a hair dresser when a sharp Millie does a wonderful job on my hair. :cool:
I really feel for you, I'm in tears...................................and about to roll off the bed laughing. You sir are a hoot. :D To paraphrase Ben Franklin, "pennies saved, are well spent on Spydies".
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tdog wrote:I really feel for you, I'm in tears...................................and about to roll off the bed laughing. You sir are a hoot. :D To paraphrase Ben Franklin, "pennies saved, are well spent on Spydies".
:p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Bloke wrote:
Tdog wrote:I really feel for you, I'm in tears...................................and about to roll off the bed laughing. You sir are a hoot. :D To paraphrase Ben Franklin, "pennies saved, are well spent on Spydies".
:p

Wish I could buy you a tallie or two..............and so do you :p
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Bloke wrote:Quite easy! I’ve stopped eating but not completely because I still eat what people leave behind at the local McDonalds and the staff know me now and I get a few freebies. I don’t buy clothes any more but we live in an affluent part of Sydney and there are many quality garments hanging on nearby cloth lines, though correct sizing can be a bit of a problem. The local St Vincent de Paul charity shop has some nice men’s shoes very cheap but they don’t have security cameras and if I walk in bare foot I can usually walk out with shoes on my feet without raising suspicion.

Finally!! An all encompassing system I can totally embrace and relate to, complete in its entirety and presented in layman's terms!!
I can see a lot more Spydies in my future ...... :D :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I don't buy a lot of knives and I don't buy expensive knives, but I buy the ones that I want.

So my justification- BECAUSE I WANT IT !

(Well I actually do try to determine if there is a feature or characteristic of the knife that is unique or useful to me, but sometimes I do just say that I want it so I buy it.)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I no longer try to BS myself with false justifications. I have accepted the fact that I have a problem and have begun to really reign in the spending on things I do not need. I can’t take it with me when I go, and it’s cruel to leave it all for someone else to get rid of for me once I’m gone. Downsizing my accidental collection is the next step and the hardest.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I haven't made a justifiable knife purchase in forty years. That hasn't even slowed me down.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I loop this while im sleeping
jmkp2.png
standy99

Post by standy99 »

There used to be a good Hare Krishna Kitchen in Sydney.
Suppose you don't get many kangaroo,s as road kill like up here in Darwin, but it is a lot safer to have a wash in the water down there.
image.gif
image.gif (4.76 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bloody Fingerz

Post by Bloody Fingerz »

I just buy what I want with money I don't have and worry about it later. I pay my credit cards off a couple times a year and load it up in between. The wife grumbles now and then but we can always pay the bills and have what we need. I'm at the "buy happiness" stage of my life...;)
The federal government has taken too much money from the people, too much authority from the states, and too much liberty from the Constitution.

Ronald Reagan
malice

Post by malice »

I don't.

People around me aren't knifeminded,
but me carrying a knife has kept some of them from serious injury.
So I buy what I want/need, and don't have safe queens.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hmm....I cannot find a reason. I just purchase reasonable I guess, although I do not need it
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

For me it is equally felt as with it's in this post, as long as bills are paid and when there is extra funds I buy how many I want and when I want since I'm the breadwinner for the household o believe I have that right. The breakdown for me is I always end up getting 2x on everything so that I will have one for my son when he gets older if he wants them. The several years that I've been exclusively Spyderco I've bought more of the specific ones for different tasks instead of just EDC in general. i.e. tenacious (serrated) for gardening, pm2 for mainly work- general duty. Manix XL for yardwork, Domino for office work. Serrata for camping.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I don't go to movies. fairs, sporting events or really any other wasteful events. Plus, I rarely eat out. I am a better cook than 97% of the restaurants I have eaten in. That money translates to knives for me. I am way more entertained by a new knife than by a football game or transformers 7. Plus I get months of enjoyment out of a new knife in my pocket as opposed to 2 hours of torture watching The Fast and the furious 10.