Delica or Salt LC200N sprintrun?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonorum

Delica or Salt LC200N sprintrun?

Post by Sonorum »

I noticed that many recommend buying a Salt in serrated due to it's edge retention being greater than the plain edge H1. That made me think that it could be a fun idea to have a rustproof, higher edge retention plain edge sprint run in LC200N. What do you think? Since the Delica has sprint runs in more exclusive steels maybe it's time for the Salt to get the same treatment now that LC200N is out!
/ David
Evil D

Re: Delica or Salt LC200N sprintrun?

Post by Evil D »

It seems almost inevitable to me that LC200N is going to take over H1 at some point. Despite the popularity of H1 in SE form, I'm betting LC isn't far off in how it performs, and it seems less likely that the two steels will coexist just for the sake of having different steels for different edge types (though that would be cool). Sprints are another option. What I suspect the biggest issue will be is the change in business since H1 is being used in Japanese made knives and the word is they prefer to work with their own steels, so will the be willing to work with LC, is it cost effective to ship it over there, would that increase the price, would moving away from H1 hurt business in Japan (since we wouldn't be buying their steel) etc etc. Lots of things to consider that happen behind the scenes that we may not know about that make a seemingly simple steel swap much more complicated.

However, the good news is we also have the potential to see Golden made models in Salt variations, since we have LC here to work with. The much asked for Manix 2 LW Salt is a very realistic idea now, or perhaps the Manix 2 back lock in a Salt variation. That knife would only need salt proof lock bar components and clip mounts along with LC and it would be good to go. We already have the Caribbean knives coming too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Any Salts in LC200N would be fine. Rather see a fluted Ti Millie with this steel. Would get a lot of carry time with me. Still trying to figure out how to do a blade swap with the S90v or 204p in my fluted Ti Millie. With the newer Millie changes I'm still not sure what is involved.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would not like to see H1 disappear. It is a proven steel and is a great outdoor material. Perhaps we may see some outdoor related knives in this steel besides the Aqua Salt?
LC200N is unproven, as of yet, and in plain edge I am not certain the edge holding is that much better than H1, from what I have read. Of course, I could be wrong.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tdog wrote:Any Salts in LC200N would be fine. Rather see a fluted Ti Millie with this steel. Would get a lot of carry time with me. Still trying to figure out how to do a blade swap with the S90v or 204p in my fluted Ti Millie. With the newer Millie changes I'm still not sure what is involved.
It may not be possible. It just depends on if the pivot pin and stop pin are the same size. I wouldn't think they changed the lock face but ya never know.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

PM2 in LC200N please!
losinground

Post by losinground »

My ideas aren't usually great but..how about a sprint of Black/Yellow Zome Salt 2 in LC200N
npad69

Post by npad69 »

jalcon wrote:PM2 in LC200N please!
this^
in salty yellow g10 and titanium clip + liners
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Often I prefer a lightweight grippy FRN handled knife in environments where high degree of corrosionresistance is useful so I defina would prefer a Salt-style knife over a PM-style knife. Not that my PM is slippery but FRN feels grippier when wet and cold...
/ David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:I would not like to see H1 disappear. It is a proven steel and is a great outdoor material. Perhaps we may see some outdoor related knives in this steel besides the Aqua Salt?
LC200N is unproven, as of yet, and in plain edge I am not certain the edge holding is that much better than H1, from what I have read. Of course, I could be wrong.
Seconded.

LC200N might show better PE edge retention, but will it be as cheap as H1, show the same ease of sharpening, same level of toughness and outstanding SE edge retention?

I've never seen someone offer a definitive yes to those questions, so H1 will still have its place. Notice neither S90V or S110V have phased out S30V.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sonorum,

Welcome to our forum.

More likely we would make a Salt 2 in LC which has the same "grip" as the Delica 4, without the liners.

sal
timlara

Post by timlara »

sal wrote:Hi Sonorum,

Welcome to our forum.

More likely we would make a Salt 2 in LC which has the same "grip" as the Delica 4, without the liners.

sal
100% in for that!! :D
Tim
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Sal,

Any chance of a PM2 in LC200N??!
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Make it Salt 2 in LC in PE with bright red scales and I am in and if you add a DF2 in the same combination even better.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

losinground wrote:My ideas aren't usually great but..how about a sprint of Black/Yellow Zome Salt 2 in LC200N
I too have wondered how a black and yellow Zome Salt would look.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Vivi wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:I would not like to see H1 disappear. It is a proven steel and is a great outdoor material. Perhaps we may see some outdoor related knives in this steel besides the Aqua Salt?
Seconded.

LC200N might show better PE edge retention, but will it be as cheap as H1, show the same ease of sharpening, same level of toughness and outstanding SE edge retention?

I've never seen someone offer a definitive yes to those questions, so H1 will still have its place. Notice neither S90V or S110V have phased out S30V.
I think a more apt comparison might be the difference between 420HC and S30V. In higher end applications S30V has almost completely phased out lesser steels, because the edge retention is orders of magnitude better, it can be sharpened w/o special skills or equipment and it features about the same corrosion resistance. That same statement is true of the comparison of LC200n to H1 in my limited experience with these two steels (haven't had LC200n that long, but have been very impressed so far) and I think eventually H1 will be limited to a few specialty SE knives.

David
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Welcome to our forum.

sal
That's great to hear! Hopefully that will happen soon :)
/ David