The Wire Clip: express your love, hate, indifference

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How do you feel about the wire clip?

Prefer it to the standard clip
37%
Prefer the standard clip
16%
Indifferent to it
11%
Wish there were more current Spyderco versions w/ the wire clip
35%

Total votes: 240

bearrowland

Re: The Wire Clip: express your love, hate, indifference

Post by bearrowland »

I agree. I really think it's perfect for it's intended purpose.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
jaysus145

Post by jaysus145 »

I am indifferent to the deep-pocket wire clip at this point, it looks fine, and works fine: I am cool with fine. I have a question though... how often does the wire clip come lose? I have had my Para 3 LW for less than a week now, and I already had to tighten it after it got loose seemingly out of no where. It is my first deep-pocket wire clip so I am not sure if that is part of it or not; if it is part of it, that would certainly sway my vote to team #PreferStandardClip"
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I haven't noticed the screw coming loose on my wire clips but they do seem to have less spring tension than the standard clip so they don't work as well for me.

Try a drop of blue locktite on the clip screw o if you haven't already. That should keep it from backing out on you.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

LOVE THE WIRE CLIP. Well I should say that I love it on the Dragonfly and would love to try one on a Lady\Manbug. I blue Loctite mine on so it doesn't move and I'm good to go. Waistband or pocket carry is good to go. Have had people ask why I have a paperclip attached to shorts in the past. Ha.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

strongly prefer the deep carry wire clip - i was really happy to see the Spydiechef come with one. I might grab an Ikuchi, too.
sok

Post by sok »

Every time I try to replace my Caly 3.5, I inevitably will grab it and slide it into my pocket. My mind goes ahhhhh. I don't own another knife that carries better.

Smooth carbon fiber and the deep carry wire clip are a match made in heaven. It is also less obvious what is clipped to your pocket.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Wire clip is definitely my preference on small and medium sized knives. I like the deep carry and the fact that the wire is less noticeable in the pocket. On some larger knives I prefer an hourglass or similar clip. On Titanium knives I don't like the scratches the wire clip puts on the handle so some Ti frame knives might cause me to want an hourglass or an aftermarket milled Ti clip instead.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

As with a lot of knife design-related questions, it all depends on usage. I like the discreet, folded-over "deep-carry" version of the wire clip on smaller EDC/"convenience cutter" knives like, say, the UKPK & the Dragonfly 2 & the Chaparral, but I prefer something with more spring tension such as the non-folded-over wire clip (like the one on the Manix 2 Lightweight & the Introvert) or the standard hourglass clip (think Native 5 or Polestar) for mid-sized or larger knives I use in more active contexts (such as manual labour or physical activities like running or hiking/climbing).

The relative lack of spring tension in the deep-carry wire clip is actually one of the reasons that the Para 3 Lightweight fell out of my work knife rotation. While it never did actually fall out of my right front pants pocket or my right back pants pocket (the 2 places I most commonly carry a work knife), it had come close to doing so in several instances when I would be in a deep squat while lifting at work. It's an issue I just don't want to have to worry about in the workplace.

I guess the ideal situation would be if all Spyderco folders could accept either the wire clip or the hourglass clip depending on user preference, but that would require a massive, line-wide design overhaul & I just don't see it happening.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I love them both, It really depends on the knife.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
anycal

Post by anycal »

I have a few knives with a wire clip. It works really well on those models, especially the Chaparral and Ikuchi.

As others noted, Native LW with wire clip would be awesome. As it is right now, I carry mine in pocket with no clip.

Peter
willc

Post by willc »

I can’t believe that the LW Native still has a hourglass clip yet the LW Manix 2 has a wire clip.

The Native is a perfect knife for the wire clip.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I like the wire clip... I also like the standard clip as well.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I probably posted earlier on this thread, but I strongly dislike wire clips, at least on the models I have. I just do not like the way they feel during use, and they aren’t as strong. I MUCH prefer the hourglass clips. Even though I’m in the minority here.

Jim
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Depends on the knife. Mostly, I just remove the clip, add a fob and carry it in my pocket.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Team wireb clip
Justin
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

If they put in two grooves under the stamped clip could just share a center screw and let you use either
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Slash

Post by Slash »

It's ok for small knives. Not so kuch for large ones.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Slash wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:20 pm
It's ok for small knives. Not so kuch for large ones.
I guess it depends on how large you're thinkin'. I have no problem with it on the Sliverax, Kapara, and Manix 2 LW. Been carrying all three of those quite a bit lately. No issues with the wire clip on any of them yet. In fact, the wire clip is one of the reason's I carry them a lot. The right pocket is getting frayed on some of the cargo shorts I wear to work and the wire clip works better for beat up pockets.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

Indifferent, I remove clips from my folders since I don't use them and they limit the handle comfort for me.
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Yes love it on small and medium sized knives...not so much for heavy or larger knives...