Spyderco Sprig question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mrtodd777

Spyderco Sprig question

Post by mrtodd777 »

I have had my eye on the Sprig for quite some time. I do quite a bit of hunting and fishing and I think it might just be about the perfect knife. Bark River makes the Bird and Trout in Elmax that looks fairly similar to the Sprig. What are the advantages of the blade steel (S90V?)of the sprig compared to the Elmax that the Bark river is comprised of. Of course I will probably spring for the Sprig because it is Spyderco, but I just want to learn a little more regarding the two steels. Thanks Fellas!
soundshaman

Re: Spyderco Sprig question

Post by soundshaman »

mrtodd777 wrote:I have had my eye on the Sprig for quite some time. I do quite a bit of hunting and fishing and I think it might just be about the perfect knife. Bark River makes the Bird and Trout in Elmax that looks fairly similar to the Sprig. What are the advantages of the blade steel (S90V?)of the sprig compared to the Elmax that the Bark river is comprised of. Of course I will probably spring for the Sprig because it is Spyderco, but I just want to learn a little more regarding the two steels. Thanks Fellas!
I haven't handled the barky yet but the sprig is awesome. I just use it at work to strip down boxes and it's edge retention is amazing. I've used it 4 weeks without sharpening and it doesn't do arm hairs anymore but still does the cardboard no worries. Also use it to debone chicken with it at home and of course it does it with ease. I love how thin it's ground being the edge and it's thin point. Just buy it! :)
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

The BRK I purchased in Elmax chipped enough for me to be disappointed with my purchase...
Go with the :spyder:
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have no experience with Elmax and I've only used my Sprig on fish but only cause I haven't fired a shot since I've owned it.

I don't like knives I have to sharpen/touch up every second time I use them so S90V suits me well. :D

Mine came blunt and frustrated me a little because it kept glazing the SiC hones I was using and I couldn't get it as sharp as I'd like so I went to a 1200 bonded diamond and happy days. That was just after Christmas last year. Since then it's filleted close to 30 solid fish of which I've cut through the rib bones, many as thick as matches and I've only stropped it on stiff leather and chrome oxide half a dozen times. Obviously it isn't as sharp as it was, has a couple of tiny chips in the blade from braining fish it should've and doesn't clean shave with a single pass any more but it still has a very serviceable edge and going strong.

In short I love everything about my Sprig. Thinner blade stock is the only thing I'd like better and I wouldn't say no to one in Maxamet. ;)

I think it's worth mentioning too, that I absent minded put the knife back in it's sheath wet after brain spiking a fish and only sloshed the knife in the surf on a hot day. A little blood had adhered to the blade and that and the saltwater had the blade starting to corrode within a couple of hours. No pitting or anything but just the faintest hint of tan coloured stains where the blood was. I'm sure it'll polish out but it doesn't worry me and gives the knife a little character. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

While looking on the DLT website for the brown Yo 2 I noticed that BRK also makes their B&T in CPM154. While I'm sure it's a good knife, it ain't no Spyderco. :p CPM154 is a good stainless, easy to sharpen and holds it's edge well. Can't speak for the BRK, but the Sprig in S90V is a GREAT knife. :spyder: