Let's Talk About The Alcyone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bgoode315

Let's Talk About The Alcyone

Post by bgoode315 »

This knife is great! Why aren't we talking about it more? I know, I know, Spyderco is constantly releasing amazing stuff and with all the exclusives and flash batches and new releases things are bound to fall through the cracks, but this design deserves attention! It is true EDC perfection. A beautiful, functional little design. And, it is the Goldilocks of size and price and coolness.

I have big hands, but I don't really like carrying big knives. I struggled to find just the right EDC. Something that would fit my big paw, but not be a pocket sword. I tried many things, and up to this point a Centofante 3 has been my favorite, but now it's the Alcyone. It's got just enough handle, and just enough blade. The proportions are just excellent. And with the neutral grip, I'm sure it will fit lots of different hands equally well.

There are a lot of collectors out there, but I'm not one of them. I'm looking for workhorse knives. I don't want to feel anxious about messing up my favorite folder when I'm using it at my carpentry job, or in the garden, or out camping. The price of the Alcyone means that I don't have to worry. It's just a knife. It's an incredibly well made knife, but it's not so precious that I'm gonna cry if I lose it. I can afford to replace it. I don't have to pat my pocket 300 times a day to make sure I still have it. I can kind of forget about it until I need it, and I really value that.

This is a really cool little knife. It's fast and fun to flick. The grayish G10 with the checker pattern is different and attractive. The clip doesn't wiggle. And the liner lock, my favorite EDC lock, is done perfectly. The knife also has that certain extra quality that makes it fascinating to the eye and to the hand. Maybe you're thinking that no matter what I say about this Alcyone, that it'll never be as cool as a titanium Sage 5, and you might be right. But I'd say that since the Alcyone is in my pocket, stained and paint flecked and a little dirty, and your Sage is mostly sitting in the drawer except for special occasions, that my Alcyone is really a whole lot cooler.

Is anyone else out there feeling the love for this knife?
Hopweaver

Re: Let's Talk About The Alcyone

Post by Hopweaver »

bgoode315 wrote:...But I'd say that since the Alcyone is in my pocket, stained and paint flecked and a little dirty, and your Sage is mostly sitting in the drawer except for special occasions, that my Alcyone is really a whole lot cooler.
Right on! I enjoy the energy coming through in this post.

But I have to admit I have one safe queen and it honestly drives me crazy most of the time. I should probably sell it. Today I carried my Embassy and used it. The Alcyone looks cool, but I am saving up for the ATR2 (if it ever gets released, the wait is killing me).
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bgoode,

Thanx for the kind words. I'm a bit biased as I spent a great deal of time on the design. We're hoping more think as you do about the model.

sal
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I think I am going to use the alcyone as a gateway drug for friends and family this Christmas!
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

mrtodd777 wrote:I think I am going to use the alcyone as a gateway drug for friends and family this Christmas!
Good news for Sal and Co. :p
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

As I get more into making custom scales, I'm rather interested in picking this up. BD1 has a nice sharpening and use feel, almost creamy in my experience.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I only have the Northstar, not sure wether I'll get this one since I prefer FRN with a backlock. Probably will get it anyway since it is indeed such a great design. The Northstar also feels so good in hand, I really like the look and feel of the Chinese G10 that's on it and I agree on the coolness level of nice users that actually go places. (I use as well as collect)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I was just admiring it's beauty and design. Very nice indeed. It's a liner lock, so very unfortunate for me.
- best wishes, Jazz.