Parametric Titanium Scale for the Manix 2!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rockscale

Parametric Titanium Scale for the Manix 2!!!

Post by Rockscale »

I’ve been wanting to design a parametric scale for my Manix for quite a while. I finally had some time and can now share with you guys! I will continue tweaking the design so any feedback would be great! Btw the scale you see here is made out of titanium. I also made various iterations of pattern in aluminum, but the titanium looks and feels so much better. Pictures comparing the two coming soon!!

Hopweaver

Re: Parametric Titanium Scale for the Manix 2!!!

Post by Hopweaver »

Nice work! I want to do that to my Manix too. I have been looking for some used Grimsmo Manix scales for awhile. They come up on the used market every now and then.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Very nicely done indeed. I especially like the fact that you used Titanium and the way you did the scales overall. I have wished that the Manix 2 was available in a Titanium scale option, like many other knives in the :spyder: Signature Series. Your Titanium scales, with a Maxamet blade, would be a winning combination for sure. Thanks for sharing. :)
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Those turned out fantastic! Great work man!
Josh
Rockscale

Post by Rockscale »

Thanks for the comments guys. Much appreciated!
Hop, interesting that you mentioned John. Watching him was what inspired me to make this scale.
El, getting my hands on a maxamet blade would be awesome!!Thanks for the idea!
Next, I'll try to do some anodizing and see what color combination would go with this pattern
Rockscale

Post by Rockscale »

My goal was to design a scale that weight closer to the original scale. The ti is almost double that!

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

They look really nice. The milling on the back side to reduce weight is awesome.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Personally, the slight additional weight of the Titanium scales would not bother me a bit. I think they would give the knife a solid feel in hand and I rather like that. The more I am looking at these the more I like them. I think you have a very marketable product here. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Looks really nice with the black hardware.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rockscale

Post by Rockscale »

Thanks guys! El, these are my first pass so there's much more refinements and design input needed. However I have a few of these prototypes lying around and not sure what to do with them. If you're interested, shoot me a message and I will send one out to you. It would be great to get some feedback.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

PM sent. :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Those are some killer scales! I'd love to see the Ti version with a beadblast or some other sort of matte finish on them.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

Wow awesome work! Those look pretty sweet. Titanium would be my choice of material. Seems a lot tougher than aluminum. How's the traction? They look like they would provide a lot of bite! I like it, I like a lot.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Beautiful
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Beautiful work! How does the overall weight of the Ti Manix compare to the G-10 model? Looking forward to seeing anodized versions. Thanks for sharing. I suspect many (including me) here would be interested in these scales.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Ano those bad boys!! They look great and would look even better with some color!!
Joe
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

sweet
cpl

Post by cpl »

When/if you decide to sell these, I'd definitely be interested!
Rockscale

Post by Rockscale »

Thanks everyone. I didn't expect so much positive feedback! Currently working on my anodizing setup and can't wait to test out some colors. Just don't know what color I should do. I'm thinking about doing two tones, one for the patterns and the other one is for the handle. If you guys want to see a specific color combo then let me know.

Cpl thanks for your interested in buying my scale, maybe if there are enough interests I will make a few to sell but for now I just love to play around with different patterns and refining the design with everyone's feedback.

Tdog- I totally forgot to weigh the knife with the ti on it. I'll let me know the weight soon.

MMGRenovations- the Ti feels very solid compared to aluminum but you can definitely feel it in your pocket :D . The scale is not as grippy as I initially thought but it's grippy enough to not slip. If the grippy-ness of the Manix G10 is 7 out of 10, then the titanium is about a 6.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Wow, those look really nice! You should make a business out of this, I'm sure you won't regret it financially. Top job!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...