Loving the Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mic1

Loving the Para 3

Post by Mic1 »

I bought a Para 3 black on black s30v. I love it! It is just what I have been looking for. A good size knife that fills the hand but does not get the easy Rambo murder knife looks. I cant wait for the s110 and Maxamet versions because that is one thing I have noticed is after using the for mentioned steels s30v has a good deal less edge retention. I am sharpening a lot more lately.

I do have one thing I dont like. The lanyard hole. It basically forces the knife to be tip down carry. Or you can have roughly 1" of the handle sticking out of your pocket which just looks goofy and is uncomfortable. I would love to see this knife with out it. Please move the clip further up and get rid of or move and shrink the tube. The tube is huge all you need is to get some para cord through it not climbing rope. Even a pin like a Chris Reeve to allow for a lanyard and better tip up carry.

Regardless of the steel and the lanyard hole I am totally digging this knife. I have one of the Maxamet and s110 on pre order. :)
abbazaba

Re: Loving the Para 3

Post by abbazaba »

Ya the lanyard hole/clip placement is perplexing. Hasn't yet taken pocket time from the Sage5 or PM2, but I have a feeling that one day it will. Currently mine only sees casual use.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ever since I added a short Lynch deep carry clip to mine it gets carried and used fairly regularly.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I have the dlc para 3 as well and I carry it everyday. it has a purple lynch short clip which actually blends in well with denim. I agree that the lanyard hole is... interesting...but overall the para 3 fits my hand and pocket much better than a pm2.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mad german

Post by mad german »

I put MXG Gear deep carry clips on my Para3's and I love them so much more. MXG Gear clips are top notch. I doubt you'll find a better clip, IMO.
My collection is ever changing!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I have mxg on a delica and it's awesome
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

abbazaba wrote:Ya the lanyard hole/clip placement is perplexing. Hasn't yet taken pocket time from the Sage5 or PM2, but I have a feeling that one day it will. Currently mine only sees casual use.
Abbazaba, how does the Sage 5 compare to the Para 3?

I was between the Sage 5 and the upcoming Para 3 in CF/S90V but went with the Sage 5 because of the approx. $60 price difference and because S90V is apparently substantially harder to sharpen than S30V.

I did not go for the regular Para 3 because I wanted Cf scales and because of the high carry due to the position/size of the lanyard tube.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I also have a long MXG Gear clip for my Delica 4 and a short one for my PM2. Love them both.

If I were to buy a Para 3 I would get a shorth MXG Gear short clip for it. From pictures and videos I can tell that the Para 3 rides really high in the pocket with the factory clip. Wish Spyderco would change the size/location of the lanyard tube in the Para 3 or eliminate it altogether or change its factory clip to a deep carry one a la MXG Gear or Casey Lynch short clips.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Funny enough My s110v has just shipped from knife center.
anycal

Post by anycal »

^^ When did you place the pre-order, if I may ask?
Peter
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

7/20/2017 or a day or two around there.
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

IMG_0444.JPG
I have a Para 3 and it kind of languished in the safe due to the inexplicable placement of the clip. The thing rode so high that my Manix 2 XL was easier to carry. I was thinking of sending it down the road.

Then a kind soul who knew of my predicament PMd me and let me know he'd sell me a Casey Lynch Short Ti clip for it and I accepted his offer.

What a transformation! The Para 3 is now my EDC five days a week. I absolutely love it, as it fills the hand and has a very tough blade that handles everything I throw at it.

I still reach for my blurple PM2 on the weekend but for my sub-3" work jurisdiction, it will be very hard for my Para 3 to be unseated as my EDC.

I plan to get another in S110V or maybe 204P if it gets offered. It's a great knife once you change out the clip.
Last edited by EmperorMA on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
anycal

Post by anycal »

Well, I have CRUWEAR on pre-order. But I tell you what, once the S110V is in stock, I may not be able to help myself. Not... good...
Peter
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Didn't know if it would feel right to me as a dedicated PM2 fan. My wife and I went to Utah to visit our daughter and her family so I told my son in law I wanted to go by Blade HQ. Fondled a PM3 and it felt great. The lanyard hole was was the only thing I didn't like, but I'll probably get one and slap a low ride pocket clip in the tip up position anyway. I'd never use the lanyard hole on it no matter where it was placed. Oh, and I walked out of there with a Delica with the Emerson Wave and a Higonokami.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

dman62 wrote:Didn't know if it would feel right to me as a dedicated PM2 fan. My wife and I went to Utah to visit our daughter and her family so I told my son in law I wanted to go by Blade HQ. Fondled a PM3 and it felt great. The lanyard hole was was the only thing I didn't like, but I'll probably get one and slap a low ride pocket clip in the tip up position anyway. I'd never use the lanyard hole on it no matter where it was placed. Oh, and I walked out of there with a Delica with the Emerson Wave and a Higonokami.
You should try the reverse grip draw with the delica. it's fun, just move the pocket clip to the other side.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Anyone else wishing for a fully serrated DLC Para 3?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
blur

Post by blur »

Hi!

Can you help me with steel recommendation.

I get CPM-S30V for a same price as SPM-S110V. I am not experienced with sharpening but i wonder what do you recommend. Thx!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I really don't understand why people are so concerned with how much of the knife shows while in the pocket. I've purchased an MXG clip to go on mine but it was only so that the clip wouldn't reach all the way to the cutout for the comp lock as I find it gets in the way.

Are you all worried someone might see it? Concerned with it getting dinged on something during carry? Something I'm missing?

Deep carry clips make the knife difficult to extract in my experience.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
attila

Post by attila »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I really don't understand why people are so concerned with how much of the knife shows while in the pocket. I've purchased an MXG clip to go on mine but it was only so that the clip wouldn't reach all the way to the cutout for the comp lock as I find it gets in the way.

Are you all worried someone might see it? Concerned with it getting dinged on something during carry? Something I'm missing?

For me, it's sometimes trying to be a tad more discreet, but with this Cruwear Para 3 and the Pakkawood Delica, it's about keeping the sprint/exclusive G10/wood from being scratched/discolored. I've had the exposed parts of a couple knives get gouged while working, so I avoid that with special ones.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I really don't understand why people are so concerned with how much of the knife shows while in the pocket. I've purchased an MXG clip to go on mine but it was only so that the clip wouldn't reach all the way to the cutout for the comp lock as I find it gets in the way.

Yes actually I am bothered by one inch sticking out of my pocket it looks stupid. And yes again I don't need to advertise and flaunt I am carrying a knife. I live in communist occupied Illinois. It's also uncomfortable. In jeans it crowds my hand and the jimmping grates on my hand. I am still carrying it every day but honestly it would be a 10 out of 10 if it was standard tip down knife. Also truly believe it's safer tip down in your front pocket. Because at no time does your hand contact the blade and it can't open when your hand is in your pocket.