Do you use the brass guard rods with the sharpmaker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you use the brass guard rods with your sharpmaker?

Yes (And I have never cut myself using my sharpmaker)
50%
Yes (And I have cut myself using my sharpmaker)
No votes
No (And I have never cut myself using my sharpmaker)
49%
No (And I have cut myself using my sharpmaker)
1%

Total votes: 84

vivi

Do you use the brass guard rods with the sharpmaker?

Post by vivi »

So I tossed my brass guard rods out when I got my sharpmaker over ten years ago. Never used them. Always struck me as a waste of time. In fact most the time I touch up my knives I don't even use the sharpmaker base, I just take an UF rod in my left hand, knife in the right, and run the edge along the stone until it cleanly pops stubble. Never have cut myself, even sharpening after a few drinks :p

What about you? Do you use the brass guard rods?
:unicorn
Bloke

Re: Do you use the brass guard rods with the sharpmaker?

Post by Bloke »

Vivi, I couldn't say for certain but I'm pretty sure D isn't the only one who uses the brass rods. :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:Vivi, I couldn't say for certain but I'm pretty sure D isn't the only one who uses the brass rods. :p
Oh I know. I made this poll to see if I'm the only one who doesn't ;)
:unicorn
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sometimes I use them, most of the time I don't. I've never cut myself while sharpening but I'm glad they're included.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Carlito86

Post by Carlito86 »

Always use them, allthough I never run my knives against it. My biggest concern with the sharpmaker is when I am refinishing to ultra fine and I am very light I might loose hold of the knife and accidentaly cut me while hurring to recover hold of the knife... Funny..
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

If I'm sharpening several knives (for example all the kitchen knives) I will. For one, especially if smaller, I usually won't.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Bloke wrote:Vivi, I couldn't say for certain but I'm pretty sure D isn't the only one who uses the brass rods. :p
Oh I know. I made this poll to see if I'm the only one who doesn't ;)
Ah, hahaha! :)

I don't use them either probably because I'm a little strange. :rolleyes:

I don't use the SM very much but when I do I clamp it to a bench or table with an Irwin quick-grip and hold the knife between my hands as if I was praying. ;)

It's just how I roll but it works well and I'm unlikely to cut myself except for my feet if I ever drop a knife. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I put them in when sharpening several knives. When it comes to touching up on a single one, I tend to leave them off.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I almost always use them but I usually only use the one facing me. Only having to use and switch one rod keeps it from becoming tedious which keeps me from from neglecting to use them altogether. I cut myself once but it had nothing to do with the rods. I was tired and Sharpening and I had an itch on my face. I scratched myself with the hand holding the knife and lightly stabbed myself in the forehead. That is a true story I'm ashamed to say. :rolleyes: :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I started to always use them about a month after I bought sharpmaker after I cut myself sharpening fairly bad.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I never use them. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where I would put enough side pressure on the rods to cut my free hand if I slipped. If I was so distracted while sharpening, I'd probably cut myself whether or not the brass guards were in place.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted for the last selection on the list because to be 100% honest I have cut myself a couple of times using my Sharpmaker without the use of the brass rods. However both cuts have been nothing more than minor nicks>> both of which I didn't even use a "Band-Aid". But do keep in mind I've been using a Sharpmaker since the mid to late 90s so with all things considered I still feel like the Sharpmaker is a safe tool to use.

Now I would never recommend someone not use any type of safety equipment even though I quit using the brass rods on mine quite some time ago. I'm usually very mindful of what I'm doing while sharpening any blade with my 204 Sharpmaker. As much as I play with knives I would find it pretty much impossible to believe that anyone wouldn't at least have a few minor cuts on occasions.

But hey if those brass rods work for you then by all means use them. But on the two occasions I cut myself I don't think the brass rods would have prevented it anyway.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Surfingringo wrote:I almost always use them but I usually only use the one facing me. Only having to use and switch one rod keeps it from becoming tedious which keeps me from from neglecting to use them altogether. I cut myself once but it had nothing to do with the rods. I was tired and Sharpening and I had an itch on my face. I scratched myself with the hand holding the knife and lightly stabbed myself in the forehead. That is a true story I'm ashamed to say. :rolleyes: :D

LOL! I'm laughing with you. I've done plenty of things like that in my lifetime.

Vivi, I used to always use them, and now I've probably regressed to just some of the time. When I finally slice the back of my left hand wide open, I'm sure I'll go back to 100%. (If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough?). ;)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't use the brass rods but, in fairness, I only ever use the Sharpmaker to sharpen my serrated knives. Since my serrated K04 and K05 Kitchen Sharps are the only serrated knives I use, and then only rarely, the Sharpmaker sees very little use. All my plain edged blades are sharpened freehand, with DMT diamond stones. Never cut myself with the Sharpmaker, but did cut myself on the plastic "clam pack" it came in. :o
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I've never used them and have not cut myself either. I'm trying to wrap my head around how you could cut yourself using the Sharpmaker. Been using mine for over 25 years and haven't even come close. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I was brought up safety first. I always use them. Never needed them. Sal put them on there for a reason and I will trust his design.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Yup (and still bloodless).

I do for the same reason I use seat belts and use the safety on my 1911s. They're there.

But I don't employ safeguards on my Golden Stone or Double Stuff or my Glocks, except for what's between my ears.

All to say, I'm not dogmatic. I naturally distrust dogmas.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lol, I'm not sure how it's a waste of time, if your life is so stressed for time that you can't spare the .003 seconds it takes to stick the rods into the base then I don't see how you can live with H1 as your primary EDC steel when it needs sharpened so often. It's merely a precaution. Just because you've never cut yourself doesn't mean you never will. Using them means I at least have a very simple and very easy to use safety measure in place that might save my hand. I'm really kind of shocked this is even in question. It's like I said in the other thread, I've never needed my airbag but it might save my life someday. It doesn't make sense to me to remove it just because I've never needed it before.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
timlara

Post by timlara »

Surfingringo wrote:I was tired and Sharpening and I had an itch on my face. I scratched myself with the hand holding the knife and lightly stabbed myself in the forehead. That is a true story I'm ashamed to say. :rolleyes: :D
Oh man! Well, at at least it wasn't your eye!! :eek:
Tim
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I always pause before putting them in and think about how I don't want to bother with them. But I always end up using them anyway. Safety first and all.