Have you ever passed on the chance to buy a grail?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Have you ever passed on the chance to buy a grail?

Post by ChrisinHove »

I did, yesterday, and I'm still a bit sore about it....

A little knife shop in rural France had a small Spyderco display including an "S", a ProGrip .. and a Zulu - the latter of which I have been lusting after for a while!

But for the price - the equivalent of US $255.

I was tempted, I'll admit. I handled it for a moment or two, and walked on...

*sigh*
Evil D

Re: Have you ever passed on the chance to buy a grail?

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure I have a Grail but I've passed on a lot more than I've bought. There definitely comes a point where cost is just too much no matter what knife it is. I felt insane when I bought my first Spyderco because of what it cost me, now my latest handful of knife purchases have been around 4x as much but they're also a lot more knife than the first one. So far my limit has been around $250 and for that it has to check off a lot of boxes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I didn't get into Spyderco knives until after many of the ones that I really love had already been discontinued.

I console myself by saying "it didn't have super steel, at least nowadays you have a cornucopia of CPM, don't feel bad"
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

curlyhairedboy wrote: I console myself by saying "it didn't have super steel, at least nowadays you have a cornucopia of CPM, don't feel bad"
This is literally how I justify not buying some of the models that came before me. I know I'd like the model but maybe not so much the steel. The other part is spending gobs of money on what might be a "good enough" steel when I could spend the same or less for a new model with better steel. This is what makes sprint runs so great.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have a little bit different take. I have loved Spydies for years but took a break from buying them while I was raising my son. Now I enjoy going back and buying some of the models that I passed on due to finances. I may "pay up" a little more now but the pieces that I buy are unique and it is unlikely that more will be made. To me there is always going to be a latest, greatest super steel. Some of the actual designs are timeless.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I did, when funds didn't allow me to buy a grail knife. Karma does have a way of turning back in your favor though. The grail I passed on, came back to me later in life when I did have the funds to afford it. It was a 25th anniversary delica.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Passed on a few of hem back when I was building my collection. I'd see an auction listing, determine the absolute max price I was willing to pay, and wait. Then I'd check back a few minutes before the auction ended. If the price wasn't already over my limit, I'd stick around and put in a snipe bid in the last couple seconds of the auction. Won some of those, lost some. But, if the price was already over my limit, I'd pass, and just walk away without bidding.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
attila

Post by attila »

Back in high school, I think, I discovered and desired the C13 SS/Kraton Pro-Hunter and C33 FRN Pro-Grip models. Having no money, I couldn't purchase them, and now they aren't available. Being the first Spydercos I ever wanted, I wish I hadn't missed them.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don't really believe in grails. They are like unicorns, they only exist in the mind. There are lots of great knives out there and there are even more great knives that have yet to be designed or made. I get what I can and don't worry about the rest. I have better ways to fill my time than chasing a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. ;)

Seriously though, while I am not a Buddhist I do follow the belief that desire is a cause of suffering. I try not to want much. Besides knives I am actually a bit of a minimalist. I have more knives than anybody would ever need so I try to be content with that. I try to focus on appreciating what I have rather than bemoaning what I do not.

I hope that isn't too self righteous sounding. I don't mean it that way. If you like stuff then by all means buy it. Too each their own. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I also look at my collection and think "wellllll, do you want this for a unique purpose or not?"

Practicality (will I use it? do I need a duplicate?) is sometimes a useful argument. Helped me not get a Szabo, but it won't stop me from getting a Techno 2...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have had to pass on knives I wanted to get for a long time. I really can't think of one that didn't eventually present itself again, though obviously sometimes at greater cost. We have to have some self control though. Priorities ! :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:I didn't get into Spyderco knives until after many of the ones that I really love had already been discontinued.

I console myself by saying "it didn't have super steel, at least nowadays you have a cornucopia of CPM, don't feel bad"
I can really relate to what "curly" has to say>> because there are a lot of older sentimental favorites I've loved over the years but until they release them with a really decent blade steel then I will just pass on them almost every time now with what I know. One prime example was the Bob Lum fixed blade tanto waw originally released in AUS-8 :( But the latest Sprint Run was made with VG-10 so now it's on my "gotta have" list>> thus it becomes a "grail" of sorts.

Models like the Chokwe, Swick and Dodo would be high in numbers in my footlocker if they had blade steel other than S30V. If they release any of those models in a newer/better blade steel then they will become "grail' knives and make it to my "gotta have" list. OH also if they ever make the TUSK model in Spyderedge it will be very high on my list too,.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yes. On a regular basis, in fact. However, like Darby said, I consciously made a decision a few years ago to limit spending money on knives that (1) I really don't need and (2) am not likely going to use. Heck, I presently have more "safe queens" than I can shake a stick at. They are beautiful and I enjoy them, but I know that my penchant to collect rare/vintage Spydercos can get out of hand if I allow it. Moderation is the key. It is also a lot easier said than done. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I buy knives that I'm going to use. But I've passed on plenty of knives that I couldn't justify purchasing. Until recently, and still true for the vast majority of the time, I get knives for special occasions, like my birthday or Christmas. Otherwise I have to justify the purchase on its own merits, and it's difficult to do that. That's one reason the Nirvana is special to me (other than, you know, being the Nirvana): it was the first Spyderco I bought that wasn't for a special occasion, and was bought "just because". Right now there are a pile of knives I'd buy that are physically available to me, but I'm waiting on the Caly 3 instead (for which I already have the money saved from gift certificates and such).
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
palonej

Post by palonej »

I pass on one of mine every day. I torture myself every single morning.......open up the BentomBox site and drool over that magnificent Lum tanto. Every single day.
I cannot bring myself to lay down the cash for it though. $399.95??????? I just can't do it.
Joe
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

CONSTANTLY. I pass on buying knives A LOT of knives, not just Grails. You really want to torture yourself? Check out Blazin Blades Spyderco section. Or Bento box. Or Arizona custom....
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I pass on knives all the time because I simply cannot afford them. I try to enjoy/want what I already have.

This is even more true with the increased price of knives. Prices increase along with the cost of living, yet my paycheck doesn't increase at the same rate so it's like I'm going backwards.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

No really a grail, but I passed on a S90v CF Manix2 for $135 and regret it. Of course my other ELEVEN (!) were the reason.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Years after it was released I bought a BNIB C36GTIP...most $$$ I've ever paid for a :spyder: .
Just about killed me :eek:
But I've passed on a few others as well, and regret those.
Not sure what's worse...
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yep. It usually comes down to price + the realization that while new knives are fun, it's never going to see more pocket time than my current EDC.

Like I could have snagged a full sized Calypso sprint for $325, and if I decide to carry it, it'd see pocket time maybe once or twice a week.

Or I could buy a new Pacific Salt, carry it seven days a week, and have $250 to put towards something a little more essential in my life.

I love Spyderco knives, but I try to keep a realistic perspective about my priorities. Pretty rare I spend over $150 on a knife, as I'm no collector. I use everything I purchase, aside from pre-need back-ups of discontinued favorites.