Wharncliffe Native 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Featherblade

Re: Wharncliffe Native 5?

Post by Featherblade »

Wharncliffe Native - that's a good idea and I would add a compression lock.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Karl_H wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:23 am
Bump. I would love to see a wharncliffe Native, with a thin hollow grind. I think the Cold Steel Tuff Lite success shows how popular this would be.

The Tuff Lite was the first thing I thought of too.

This thing would be a cardboard eating machine. I’d likely spring for one, but to be fair, I spring for just about every Spyderco that’s offered with a wharncliffe blade.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

I’d cop a PE Wharnie Native in half a heartbeat!!!
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I’d absolutely love a wharnie native lw! Make it in Spy27 with the blue handle and DLC blade! That would be a beautiful knife!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:58 am
Not sure how well this would translate to the current handle. There isn't much space so the Wharncliffe would have to start where the point is on the current native. I took my native apart last week and it's pretty tight in there.
I agree. Looking at mine now and I see little room. If you went with a larger kick, well, it would have to massive to keep a reasonable blade shape and it would leave the bulk of the blade out of the handle. I think the end result would be awkward and a very poor seller. Comparing side by side, the Para3 is the more likely choice for a wharncliffe blade.
Now Sal could design an all new wharncliffe knife and fit it into the Native family, but it would be an all new handle.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

I think if the pivot location were to stay the same, then the wharncliffe point would have to be in the same location (remove current belly).

If you want the straight edge to be “flat”, so the tip is in-line with the bottom of the handle (like the Tuff Lite), then the pivot would probably need to moved or the blade shortened.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Yes, yes yes yes, yes please!! I'd love a tough SE (H1?) and a wear resistant PE (not picky). Though who am I kidding, I'll be in for whatever flavor wharnie we might get.
~andrew
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I just want bump this idea. I been carrying the serrated wharncliffe Delica for a while now and I’d be all over a wharny native
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I think it'd require some light handle redesigning, but yeah I'd love to see it, especially on more work oriented models like the salt.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
benben

Post by benben »

I’d buy one, no matter the steel, grind, color, or handle material.....I’d buy one!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd rather see the handle redone, its too blocky and the clip configuration feels off for me. I've decided I won't be buying any more N5 lightweights. I'm really hoping Spyderco is moving away from the slab sided FRN and back to ergonomic curves. I'm ready for the N6.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I´d prefer a Chaparral Wharnie (almost the same edge length as the Native, and imagine a Wharnie in that thin stock!) - but a Native 5 in that blade shape would be fine too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Oooh Chaparral Wharnie.... that would be nice! Honestly I'd take either but you're right in that thin XHP blade stock... wow.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I'm in for a couple of those beauties! :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
benben

Post by benben »

I’m all for keeping the Lockback on the Native cause it’s so good! What about linerless contoured G10 scales like the Shaman to go with that Wharnie blade profile?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Why hasn't this happened yet?

Reverse tanto style

Spyderco style

This would have grabbed my attention far more than the Lil version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I saw your post in the other thread and was thinking this makes a lot of dang sense. The Native was born for this.

When I am doing home improvement or construction type projects, I typically have the Rock Jumper and Native 5 in my pocket. I like the shorter blade for that type of work. I would love to have two natives in my pocket for that. That would be pretty cool.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What surprised me is that the edge length is almost exactly the same as the utility blade, practically identical. I don't know if it would replace the RJ for me, but I would definitely want one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hello old thread. How have you been?
Well it's been 5 years, still sounds like a good idea.

Also we should make a hawkbill rockjumper called the hawkjumper. And a hawkbill Native. And Hawkbill Lil Native.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Well, the Lil Native is getting a Wharncliffe version and at the rate Spyderco is making minor changes to existing models, I’m 110% certain there will be a Wharncliffe Native 5 as well. Just be patient, we can bump this thread in a couple years when it happens.
-Nick :bug-red