Dragonfly Salt HAWKBILL is happening!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
osprey

Re: Dragonfly Salt HAWKBILL is happening!

Post by osprey »

I can't wait! Hope to have one in the next few weeks.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

swigert wrote:Prob my first time doing a rit dye also...
Ha - I was just thinking the same thing after discovering this news. Someone will need to school me on the ins n outs of dying FRN.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Since the Dy is one of the best knives ever for pull cut gripping, this really suits it. With a fob on mine, I can't imagine a better grip. Hmmm... don't try changing my mind. Quit it!
- best wishes, Jazz.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You have to get one, Jazz. I want to see the hawkbill tomato cutting video.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The reason I've pushed for this knife for so long is because for me it just makes sense on several levels:

1. I already love the Dragonfly, I already know the ergos are awesome and it's a knife that's far more capable than its size would suggest.

2. I already love carrying the Dragonfly as a companion blade so I know it'll suit me fine in that way.

3. My favorite version to carry is the Salt version, because my primary EDC knives are almost all PE, so I like having a second blade that's SE just for the fun of playing around with it.

4. Serrations tend to excel at pull cuts, and hawkbill blades are the masters of pull cuts, so the two go together like peanut butter and jelly.

5. Add all that up and it's a no brainer. It's the perfect small/light/compact/easy to carry and forget companion knife to any of your primary EDC knives.

If you're a person who usually wouldn't buy or use SE or Hawkbills, this is a relatively cheap way to get into the game, with a knife that will perform exceptionally well for its size, that is easy enough to carry that you won't feel weighed down carrying it along with your main EDC. Then you can play around with it whenever the opportunity arises, and even if you find that you still prefer PE most of the time, you aren't at a loss since it's just a companion blade. I think the SE vs PE topic is filled with too many people who think in absolutes...it doesn't have to be all one or the other, you're just cheating yourself out of an experience by avoiding SE. I've had to work to overcome sharpening challenges, but that's all part of the fun, I've learned something and now I can enjoy SE without fear of dulling the edge too much. I still absolutely prefer PE for the majority of my uses but I definitely enjoy playing around with SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

mb1 wrote:
Ha - I was just thinking the same thing after discovering this news. Someone will need to school me on the ins n outs of dying FRN.
well since its a salt, you put it IN the dye... then you take it OUT. DONE :D
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Drahkis wrote:
mb1 wrote:
well since its a salt, you put it IN the dye... then you take it OUT. DONE :D
Awesome! Lol

But can I make it orange? :D
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Most of you all that know me also know that I'm just not the biggest fan of small or short blades with a few exceptions like the DODO model and the Cricket to some degree as well But I've never owned or used a Dragonfly. But this upcoming Dragonfly Hawkbill is really encouraging to me because I do believe that it will create a domino effect. IN other words I do believe that once many knife users will go on to bigger Hawkbill models when they see how useful and advantageous Hawkbill blades can be when used as a companion blade.

It's also encouraging to see a few of the Brethren who have said that they are using one of the Hawkbill models as their EDC. I've done that before with a VG-10 Spyderhawk but it didn't 100% fit my needs for an EDC. I have a lot need during the day for a plain edge but I won't leave the house without a Spyderedged companion blade and most of the time it's one of my SE Hawkbills or SE Stainless RESCUE.

I do think that the blade user's landscape will be radically changing when this Dragonfly Hawkbill hits the main line up. BRING IT ON!!! In both edge types please!!!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Evil D wrote:Well next on my list is to ask for a wharnie Dragonfly. Give me 5 or so years and check back with me ;)
+1 on DF2 Wharncliffe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:The reason I've pushed for this knife for so long is because for me it just makes sense on several levels:

1. I already love the Dragonfly, I already know the ergos are awesome and it's a knife that's far more capable than its size would suggest.

4. Serrations tend to excel at pull cuts, and hawkbill blades are the masters of pull cuts, so the two go together like peanut butter and jelly.

5. Add all that up and it's a no brainer. It's the perfect small/light/compact/easy to carry and forget companion knife to any of your primary EDC knives.

If you're a person who usually wouldn't buy or use SE or Hawkbills, this is a relatively cheap way to get into the game, with a knife that will perform exceptionally well for its size, that is easy enough to carry that you won't feel weighed down carrying it along with your main EDC.
Well EVIL D you've really hit the nail directly on the center of the head ;) With the conventional Dragonfly model being known as good for pull cutting it just makes perfect sense that it would be an ideal model to convert to a Hawkbill. But I am hoping that it will create a market for Spyderco's bigger Hawkbill models as well.

With the great success of the Ladybug Hawkbill I believe this one will go high on the sales charts. Also you drive home the same point I've been making for the past 4 years or so>> and that is the importance and overall advantages of a "companion blade" to your main EDC folder. The Dragonfly Hawkbill will show everyone who uses it the advantages of all Hawkbill blades.

This is a near perfect marketing strategy>> it will catapult the popularity of all of Spyderco's Hawkbills.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote: Well EVIL D you've really hit the nail directly on the center of the head ;) With the conventional Dragonfly model being known as good for pull cutting it just makes perfect sense that it would be an ideal model to convert to a Hawkbill. But I am hoping that it will create a market for Spyderco's bigger Hawkbill models as well.

With the great success of the Ladybug Hawkbill I believe this one will go high on the sales charts. Also you drive home the same point I've been making for the past 4 years or so>> and that is the importance and overall advantages of a "companion blade" to your main EDC folder. The Dragonfly Hawkbill will show everyone who uses it the advantages of all Hawkbill blades.

This is a near perfect marketing strategy>> it will catapult the popularity of all of Spyderco's Hawkbills.
I'd love to see the G10 Harpy come back but I have a feeling it's a pipe dream. I think niche knives like this suffer from redundancy when there are several models in similar size and ergonomics, like the Harpy vs Tazman that are basically the same knives with slightly different handles. It might be more realistic to bring back the Spyderhawk than a smaller Harpy that's so similar to the Tazman. But, there's a gap in the size range that the Dragonfly fits in perfectly. You can bet I'll be right there with you singing it's praises trying to get it's big brother brought back.
~David
timlara

Post by timlara »

So would this be the first hawkbill with a choil? Offhand, I can't think of one previous.

I'm still on the fence whether the extra pull cutting ability is worth the tradeoff of the extra width when closed, but this one is so reasonably priced, I will probably end up trying one out to see.

*edit - I guess the SuperHawk was the other one with a choil, but I like the Dragonfly's size way better for my carry.
Tim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

timlara wrote:So would this be the first hawkbill with a choil? Offhand, I can't think of one previous.

I'm still on the fence whether the extra pull cutting ability is worth the tradeoff of the extra width when closed, but this one is so reasonably priced, I will probably end up trying one out to see.

*edit - I guess the SuperHawk was the other one with a choil, but I like the Dragonfly's size way better for my carry.
I wonder about the width too, no doubt it's going to be a bit wider than the standard version. It's an unfortunate issue with most hawkbills that don't also have a curved handle to match the shape of the blade.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: Well EVIL D you've really hit the nail directly on the center of the head ;) With the conventional Dragonfly model being known as good for pull cutting it just makes perfect sense that it would be an ideal model to convert to a Hawkbill. But I am hoping that it will create a market for Spyderco's bigger Hawkbill models as well.

I'd love to see the G10 Harpy come back but I have a feeling it's a pipe dream. I think niche knives like this suffer from redundancy when there are several models in similar size and ergonomics, like the Harpy vs Tazman that are basically the same knives with slightly different handles. It might be more realistic to bring back the Spyderhawk than a smaller Harpy that's so similar to the Tazman. But, there's a gap in the size range that the Dragonfly fits in perfectly. You can bet I'll be right there with you singing it's praises trying to get it's big brother brought back.
You definitely have a point about the redundancy... and yet, I feel I've got to back JD on this one. I can't stand smooth metal handles, this makes the harpy a non starter for me, I also want a PE and Something like Hap 40. The Tasman is good for SE, but the PE (which I own) is lacking the performance of a Hap 40 or ZDP-189, and the FRN is very nice, but also linerless... What I'm trying to say is JD has a point about there being a hole in the Hawkbill line up in the heavy duty/premium steel/g-10 department, and in the PE department. I would add for my own tastes, that a FRN harpy would work for me (Deilca 4 handle, stainless liners, FFG PE ZDP?). Anyways....
I'm with JD, the Salt Hawkbill Dragonfly will give rise to a demand for new hawkbill models and sprints. There are more people into hawkbills now than ever :D I think after using the new Dfly people who are new to hawkbills will wonder how they got through life without one. :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Such great news.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh I would much rather have a G10 Harpy than a Tazman, I just don't know if it'll happen. I prefer the Harpy handle over the Salt 100%.
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

How did I miss this thread until now?

What a nice surprise! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:

Oh I respectfully disagree with you thinking that the G-10 Harpy being only a remote pipe dream>> because it was only about a year ago that the subject of the return of the G-10 Harpy came up over at Bladeforums and Sal himself chimed in on that thread and was very positive about it at the time. Oh I definitely think it's going to happen at some point and I believe that the success of this new Dragonfly Hawkbill might just make it happen even quicker.

I think that Mr. Glesser was sincere on that one and with the growing popularity of Hawkbills I wouldn't even be surprised if the G-10 Harpy came back to the main line up. I'm convinced that the unexpected success of the Ladybug Hawkbill and the perceived success of the Dragonfly Hawkbill will pave the way>> I'm just about 95% certain of it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I was excited for the new Tasman but the ergonomics still just don't suit my hand size, and the Harpy does. I also am not a big fan of stainless handles (too heavy and too slick, lose/lose) so G10 would rock. I just hope if it does happen it keeps the same handle grip contour.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, you enabling so and sos. I took my SE Tasman out of retirement, dusted it off, and sharpened it up. I laugh at what I thought was sharp back then for serrations. I appreciate them a lot more, now that I learned to get them razor sharp. Anyway, maybe it'll lead to yet another Dfly. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.