What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PikesPeaker

What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Post by PikesPeaker »

I have a Phoenix I picked up at the factory store years ago and was just wondering if anyone knew much about them. It's a safe queen and has almost never been taken out of the box, but I haven't seen much about it. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
jimmyjohnjohn

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Good knife
sal

Post by sal »

Hi PikesPeaker,

Welcome to our forum.

Howard Viele design. Beautiful knife.

sal
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

This is a safe queen for me too. It's very comfy in the hand tho. I believe at the time it was one of the highest MSRP knives Spyderco brought out.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The definition of safe queen in my collection too. Still has the protective plastic wrap on the bolsters! :)

Perhaps a knife that is truly deserving of a small sprint run, don't you guys think? Of course, Micarta only please!!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:The definition of safe queen in my collection too. Still has the protective plastic wrap on the bolsters! :)

Perhaps a knife that is truly deserving of a small sprint run, don't you guys think? Of course, Micarta only please!!
Mine does too! lol. :o :D I only carry the Phoenix on special occasions, like birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc. Definitely a special piece in the collection. My wife purchased it for me as a gift several years ago, so there's a great deal of sentimental value attached to that knife.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

SpyderNut wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:The definition of safe queen in my collection too. Still has the protective plastic wrap on the bolsters! :)

Mine does too! lol. :o :D I only carry the Phoenix on special occasions, like birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc. Definitely a special piece in the collection. My wife purchased it for me as a gift several years ago, so there's a great deal of sentimental value attached to that knife.
You can't carry it with the plastic still on.. it feels so much better when it is off ;) The micarta attracts dirt like crazy so you might as well make it a user and appreciate the marks. I used to carry mine for dressier use and it might have been the smoothest knife I've ever had.

A friend of mine was really craving one and I was using my C42 Vieles and C22 Walker more with a suit so I traded it off..
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

NoFair wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

You can't carry it with the plastic still on.. it feels so much better when it is off ;) The micarta attracts dirt like crazy so you might as well make it a user and appreciate the marks. I used to carry mine for dressier use and it might have been the smoothest knife I've ever had.

A friend of mine was really craving one and I was using my C42 Vieles and C22 Walker more with a suit so I traded it off..
Well said, NoFair. I'm just too much of a wuss to take those decals off just yet. :o Maybe some day. :p

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

I traded for mine. I traded mine away, too. It's nice, it's pretty. It feels a little weird in hand because it has rounded scales (feels good on my fingers and finger pads) and liners that want to push into your palm while cutting. The blade is a little weird shaped IMO. I think it might be a little high priced for what it offers me.

I do wish some more knives had white micarta. I enjoy my Goddard Jr sprint.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I agree with the safe queen crowd above :)
For those of you who haven't seen one:

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

SpyderNut wrote: Well said, NoFair. I'm just too much of a wuss to take those decals off just yet. :o Maybe some day. :p
Send that thing to Costa Rica and I'll break it in for you. The internet needs some bloody Phoenix pics. :p
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

It's a great design, nice conversation piece too. For ease of carry, I sanded that pointy corner on the end of the handle.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Surfingringo wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: Well said, NoFair. I'm just too much of a wuss to take those decals off just yet. :o Maybe some day. :p
Send that thing to Costa Rica and I'll break it in for you. The internet needs some bloody Phoenix pics. :p
Hahahaha! I wonder how long those decals would last in that beautiful Costa Rican salt water?? :eek: :eek: :o :p

palonej

Post by palonej »

That beauty is a grail!
A very unique Spydie for sure!