What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PikesPeaker
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:38 am

What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby PikesPeaker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:52 pm

I have a Phoenix I picked up at the factory store years ago and was just wondering if anyone knew much about them. It's a safe queen and has almost never been taken out of the box, but I haven't seen much about it. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

User avatar
jimmyjohnjohn
Member
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:49 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby jimmyjohnjohn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:04 am

Good knife

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13289
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby sal » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:53 am

Hi PikesPeaker,

Welcome to our forum.

Howard Viele design. Beautiful knife.

sal

soundshaman
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:24 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby soundshaman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:20 am

This is a safe queen for me too. It's very comfy in the hand tho. I believe at the time it was one of the highest MSRP knives Spyderco brought out.

User avatar
RadioactiveSpyder
Member
Posts: 3879
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: Lost in space

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby RadioactiveSpyder » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:27 am

The definition of safe queen in my collection too. Still has the protective plastic wrap on the bolsters! :)

Perhaps a knife that is truly deserving of a small sprint run, don't you guys think? Of course, Micarta only please!!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7942
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby SpyderNut » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:28 pm

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:The definition of safe queen in my collection too. Still has the protective plastic wrap on the bolsters! :)

Perhaps a knife that is truly deserving of a small sprint run, don't you guys think? Of course, Micarta only please!!
Mine does too! lol. :o :D I only carry the Phoenix on special occasions, like birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc. Definitely a special piece in the collection. My wife purchased it for me as a gift several years ago, so there's a great deal of sentimental value attached to that knife.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

User avatar
NoFair
Member
Posts: 2039
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: Norway

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby NoFair » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:31 pm

SpyderNut wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:The definition of safe queen in my collection too. Still has the protective plastic wrap on the bolsters! :)

Perhaps a knife that is truly deserving of a small sprint run, don't you guys think? Of course, Micarta only please!!
Mine does too! lol. :o :D I only carry the Phoenix on special occasions, like birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc. Definitely a special piece in the collection. My wife purchased it for me as a gift several years ago, so there's a great deal of sentimental value attached to that knife.
You can't carry it with the plastic still on.. it feels so much better when it is off ;) The micarta attracts dirt like crazy so you might as well make it a user and appreciate the marks. I used to carry mine for dressier use and it might have been the smoothest knife I've ever had.

A friend of mine was really craving one and I was using my C42 Vieles and C22 Walker more with a suit so I traded it off..

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7942
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby SpyderNut » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:04 pm

NoFair wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:The definition of safe queen in my collection too. Still has the protective plastic wrap on the bolsters! :)

Perhaps a knife that is truly deserving of a small sprint run, don't you guys think? Of course, Micarta only please!!
Mine does too! lol. :o :D I only carry the Phoenix on special occasions, like birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc. Definitely a special piece in the collection. My wife purchased it for me as a gift several years ago, so there's a great deal of sentimental value attached to that knife.
You can't carry it with the plastic still on.. it feels so much better when it is off ;) The micarta attracts dirt like crazy so you might as well make it a user and appreciate the marks. I used to carry mine for dressier use and it might have been the smoothest knife I've ever had.

A friend of mine was really craving one and I was using my C42 Vieles and C22 Walker more with a suit so I traded it off..
Well said, NoFair. I'm just too much of a wuss to take those decals off just yet. :o Maybe some day. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9340
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby Donut » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:09 pm

I traded for mine. I traded mine away, too. It's nice, it's pretty. It feels a little weird in hand because it has rounded scales (feels good on my fingers and finger pads) and liners that want to push into your palm while cutting. The blade is a little weird shaped IMO. I think it might be a little high priced for what it offers me.

I do wish some more knives had white micarta. I enjoy my Goddard Jr sprint.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 2264
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby Larry_Mott » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:14 am

I agree with the safe queen crowd above :)
For those of you who haven't seen one:

Image
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5525
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby Surfingringo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:43 am

SpyderNut wrote: Well said, NoFair. I'm just too much of a wuss to take those decals off just yet. :o Maybe some day. :p
Send that thing to Costa Rica and I'll break it in for you. The internet needs some bloody Phoenix pics. :p

User avatar
Mr Blonde
Member
Posts: 7364
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth
Contact:

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby Mr Blonde » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:00 am

It's a great design, nice conversation piece too. For ease of carry, I sanded that pointy corner on the end of the handle.

Image

Image
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 07-01-2020 - Twitter - Instagram

User avatar
SpyderNut
Member
Posts: 7942
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Hoosier Country, USA
Contact:

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby SpyderNut » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Surfingringo wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: Well said, NoFair. I'm just too much of a wuss to take those decals off just yet. :o Maybe some day. :p
Send that thing to Costa Rica and I'll break it in for you. The internet needs some bloody Phoenix pics. :p
Hahahaha! I wonder how long those decals would last in that beautiful Costa Rican salt water?? :eek: :eek: :o :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal

palonej
Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:40 am

Re: What's the word on the Spyderco Phoenix?

Postby palonej » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:41 pm

That beauty is a grail!
A very unique Spydie for sure!


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cambertree, skeeg11 and 28 guests