Spyderco military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Aldey04

Spyderco military 2

Post by Aldey04 »

I would like to discuss in hopes of spurring some action towards getting the spyderco military 2 up and going and in to my pocket ;) I believe the Millie 2 should have the following:
4.2 ounces or less.
S35vn
Thicker stronger tip with some reinforcement.
Stronger lock ( maybe something that keeps fingers out of path of blade. )
4 way clip with possibility of much deeper carry.

That in my opinion would make the knife 100% perfect and would sell out and make spyderco millions and make .me and others safer for having it and happy too. So what are we waiting for?
Aldey04

Re: Spyderco military 2

Post by Aldey04 »

I'd also keep the blade 4 inches or so. No less than 4 though.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Keep the tip the same. Too many Spydercos are moving away from KNIFE tips (Salts, Endura, Delica, etc.).

Keep the weight under 4.5oz or it isn't a Military.

Same blade length, and I think S30V is great for the entry level model though S35VN would work for me as well.

Changes I'd like to see:

- 4 way clip. Carries better tip up IMO.

- New lock. The large cut-out doesn't feel good in reverse grip and the detent isn't enough to keep the blade closed during rigorous physical activity IME.

- Modified choil. If you look at the Para's choil from the first version to the second, I want the same change to the choil on the Military (Or just remove it ;) ). I find it a touch shallow and undersized for my index finger.

- DLC option, with coated liners, hardware, clip etc. Even better would be a salt version using FFG LC200N.

And that's it. The Military is as close to perfect as you can get outside of the lock and lack of tip up carry. If the current DLC S30V versions had a lock with a stronger self close and tip up carry from factory, it would go back to being my EDC. I really miss carrying one.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the forum Aldy04! :)

The Big M is easily my favourite large folder. :cool:

The only thing that might make it better for me anyhow would be if Spyderco sent me each new model free of charge, but I'm not sure. :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Agreed on S35VN entry level, and a stronger tip. Four way clip, and I would be happy with a compression lock. 4-4.5 oz, and 4".
Different steels down the road on sprints, of course. LC200N?h
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Stronger tip? Why? I've been using Millies for years without breaking one. It's already way thicker thsn I'd like, but I prefer knives to crowbars.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I know it gets old but the only change I really want to see is tip up carry. The recent upgrades have made the knife much more visually appealing to me, so yeah, tip up please.

Perhaps they can keep the knife the way it is, but add those threaded screw holes that they use on the fluted CF Native. This will keep the knife light and with minimal liners which is what I like about it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

No offense but if this is the future for the Military then I'm glad I have 5 of the current version. If you have to change that many things to be happy then you need a whole different model knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I know it gets old but the only change I really want to see is tip up carry. The recent upgrades have made the knife much more visually appealing to me, so yeah, tip up please.

Perhaps they can keep the knife the way it is, but add those threaded screw holes that they use on the fluted CF Native. This will keep the knife light and with minimal liners which is what I like about it.
Well said. +1
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:No offense but if this is the future for the Military then I'm glad I have 5 of the current version. If you have to change that many things to be happy then you need a whole different model knife.
Yes, I'm glad I have enough to last my lifetime.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:No offense but if this is the future for the Military then I'm glad I have 5 of the current version. If you have to change that many things to be happy then you need a whole different model knife.
Well said D! ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I know it gets old but the only change I really want to see is tip up carry. The recent upgrades have made the knife much more visually appealing to me, so yeah, tip up please.

This. ^

I do have to agree with vivi's thoughts on the Military's choil. I find the finger choil on the pm2 much more comfortable and useful.
fivesense

Post by fivesense »

4-way carry is a no brainer. Just because the Military is great now, doesn't mean versatile clip orientation would somehow diminish the knife in any way. It works great on PM2 and would on Military 2. New steel wouldn't hurt either, although S30V is outstanding on my Military.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

We're all different no doubt! :)

From where I'm standing I see holes all over a quality knife a lot like owning a three legged dog. :eek:

I love it just the same but every time I look at it I can't help thinking there's something wrong with it. :rolleyes:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There has been talk of a Military2 for years. It is supposed to be a stop lock. Plus, we have been told that the original Military will stay in the lineup alongside the Military2. No need to fret.

I like it the way it is.

I like the tip. I really like the subtle choil, it is there if you need it and it is not there when you don't. I don't consider S35V an upgrade over S30V. I think going 4 way does diminish the knife in some way. If you go 4 way you cannot use a curved clip like the current clip. It wouldn't be the same with the standard hourglass clip. I like the current clip. Going 4 way also adds a bunch of superfluous holes to an otherwise clean design. There are so few Spydies not riddled with holes. The only lock that probably would not add weight would be the compression lock and you cannot make a compression lock as easy to open with gloves on as you can a liner lock. I like being able to open and close it with gloves on.

Either way I will be fine. I have been hoarding them for a while now and have enough.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke wrote:We're all different no doubt! :)

From where I'm standing I see holes all over a quality knife a lot like owning a three legged dog. :eek:

I love it just the same but every time I look at it I can't help thinking there's something wrong with it. :rolleyes:
Hey Bloke, are you a fan of the Millie? If so, which way do you prefer the clip orientation? Tip down?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote: Hey Bloke, are you a fan of the Millie? If so, which way do you prefer the clip orientation? Tip down?
With out a doubt Lance, it's my favourite large folder hands down!

I'm a little bloke and I hate things in my pockets so I carry it in my back right pocket. I'm right handed and when I pull it out it swings into my palm and I open it with my middle onkaparinga. :)
Last edited by Bloke on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke wrote:
Surfingringo wrote: Hey Bloke, are you a fan of the Millie? If so, which way do you prefer the clip orientation? Tip down?
With out a doubt Lance, it's my favourite large folder hands down!

I'm a little bloke and I hate things in my pockets so I carry it in my back right pocket. I'm right handed and when I pull it out it rolls into my palm and I open it with my middle onkaparinga. :)
Right-o. So here's my question...if the Millie came drilled only for tip up carry would you rather have that or one with a 4-way clip option? I'm just wondering if maybe its easier to object to all those extra ugly holes when the knife already comes in the orientation we prefer.

See what I did there? I'm a sneaky bastard eh? ;) :p
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:Right-o. So here's my question...if the Millie came drilled only for tip up carry would you rather have that or one with a 4-way clip option? I'm just wondering if maybe its easier to object to all those extra ugly holes when the knife already comes in the orientation we prefer.

See what I did there? I'm a sneaky bastard eh? ;) :p
Ah, hahaha! You're not a sneaky bastard, if you were I wouldn't like you! ;)

You're 100% right! It suits me so I think stuff the rest of you! Ah, hahaha! :p
Last edited by Bloke on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Curved clip issue. Keep them curved. Offer the knife with both; for tip up or down. Adds small cost to the knife. I wouldn't think that be a big deal.

Three camps here. One, keep it the way it is, don't change a thing. Two, add tip up option. Three, change a bunch of things.

I fall either into one or two. I'm happy with the way it is, but would like the option. Tip up for all my other knives.

Since group one has already horded bunch of them, may as well accommodate group two :)

We are only talking about one set of holes, since I see Millie as a L/R hand specific knife due to the biased locking mechanism.
Peter