Spyderco military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloody Fingerz

Re: Spyderco military 2

Post by Bloody Fingerz »

anycal wrote:Curved clip issue. Keep them curved. Offer the knife with both; for tip up or down. Adds small cost to the knife. I wouldn't think that be a big deal.

Three camps here. One, keep it the way it is, don't change a thing. Two, add tip up option. Three, change a bunch of things.

I fall either into one or two. I'm happy with the way it is, but would like the option. Tip up for all my other knives.

Since group one has already horded bunch of them, may as well accommodate group two :)

We are only talking about one set of holes, since I see Millie as a L/R hand specific knife due to the biased locking mechanism.
I agree, just make a tip-up variant. I love the rest as it! It would fly off the shelves!
The federal government has taken too much money from the people, too much authority from the states, and too much liberty from the Constitution.

Ronald Reagan
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:There has been talk of a Military2 for years. It is supposed to be a stop lock. Plus, we have been told that the original Military will stay in the lineup alongside the Military2. No need to fret.

I like it the way it is.

I like the tip. I really like the subtle choil, it is there if you need it and it is not there when you don't. I don't consider S35V an upgrade over S30V. I think going 4 way does diminish the knife in some way. If you go 4 way you cannot use a curved clip like the current clip. It wouldn't be the same with the standard hourglass clip. I like the current clip. Going 4 way also adds a bunch of superfluous holes to an otherwise clean design. There are so few Spydies not riddled with holes. The only lock that probably would not add weight would be the compression lock and you cannot make a compression lock as easy to open with gloves on as you can a liner lock. I like being able to open and close it with gloves on.

Either way I will be fine. I have been hoarding them for a while now and have enough.
Very well said Darby!
A change is not always needed when design and material is good, maybe best, for the purpose it was developed.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
jdw

Post by jdw »

Someone posted earlier in the thread that the Military was like a shark, it evolved as much as needed (very little). IMO this knife doesn't need to evolve any further. It is a brilliant piece of functional craftsmanship at its finest.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Evil D wrote:No offense but if this is the future for the Military then I'm glad I have 5 of the current version. If you have to change that many things to be happy then you need a whole different model knife.
Agreed 100%. Any changes makes it a different model.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Right now I'm absolutely happy with the CQI Military. Bushing pivot, stand offs, bigger tube, stepped stop pin. All construction points are new. It's something I wanted few years back, so it's pretty much a dream come true for me. Especially the S110V version with the unique dark blue G10 is excellent for me. Only thing I changed is the clip (I prefer deep carry). It's no biggie for me. I put it to all my Spydies in last 2 years and I don't expect Spyderco is going to make own deep carry clips.
If they finally after all the years put out the infamous Military 2. I would be curious to try it, of course. But it's not my priority.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I think I posted earlier in this thread but since it’s floating around again...

I’m not interested any changing anything about the Millie design but I would appreciate having the ability to carry tip up. I understand some folks don’t want extra or unnecessary holes on the Military but I think it’s worth considering that those holes only look like “extras” or “unnecessary” to the folks who are already getting it the way they want.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:I think I posted earlier in this thread but since it’s floating around again...

I’m not interested any changing anything about the Millie design but I would appreciate having the ability to carry tip up. I understand some folks don’t want extra or unnecessary holes on the Military but I think it’s worth considering that those holes only look like “extras” or “unnecessary” to the folks who are already getting it the way they want.

It's probably fair to say those who like their clips in other positions would be equally as happy if the clip was where they wanted it and they didn't have all those extra holes. It's just an unfortunate side effect of having clip position options. At least you're not Paul who is stuck with clip holes on every model and he doesn't use clips at all :p
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I think I posted earlier in this thread but since it’s floating around again...

It's probably fair to say those who like their clips in other positions would be equally as happy if the clip was where they wanted it and they didn't have all those extra holes. It's just an unfortunate side effect of having clip position options. At least you're not Paul who is stuck with clip holes on every model and he doesn't use clips at all :p
Hah, exactly!
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Surfingringo wrote:I’m not interested any changing anything about the Millie design but I would appreciate having the ability to carry tip up. I understand some folks don’t want extra or unnecessary holes on the Military but I think it’s worth considering that those holes only look like “extras” or “unnecessary” to the folks who are already getting it the way they want.
I concede that multi clip positions is not a model changer. Blade orientation is much like being left handed or right handed. That we can use it in both ways but you are truly only comfortable in one orientation.
I have even felt the frustration felt about tip down only. I have the Benchmade Lum Tanto and can't quite understand this.
I can't wrap my brain around the Chinook 4 either. The 12&3 are all 4 position clips!
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

everyone here is discounting all the lefties who can’t use or carry a military because of its clip placement and the way the lock works. I think making the spydie hole a little bit easier to access from the left side and a four way clip would be perfect.
Justin :spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

JustinB wrote:everyone here is discounting all the lefties who can’t use or carry a military because of its clip placement and the way the lock works. I think making the spydie hole a little bit easier to access from the left side and a four way clip would be perfect.
I'm not sure what you mean. The Military Left Hand is available again, they're great. I also thought the Military 2 was most likely to be a full ambi model with the stop lock (and I assume at least a reversible clip option, if not 4-way).
:spyder:
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Sal knows the Military is perfect. It hasn't changed in 20 years for a reason.
All lock and clip expectations are answered by the Police 4