Spyderco military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Spyderco military 2

Post by Surfingringo »

anycal wrote:Curved clip issue. Keep them curved. Offer the knife with both; for tip up or down. Adds small cost to the knife. I wouldn't think that be a big deal.

Three camps here. One, keep it the way it is, don't change a thing. Two, add tip up option. Three, change a bunch of things.

I fall either into one or two. I'm happy with the way it is, but would like the option. Tip up for all my other knives.

Since group one has already horded bunch of them, may as well accommodate group two :)

We are only talking about one set of holes, since I see Millie as a L/R hand specific knife due to the biased locking mechanism.
Hahaha, for the win!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Right-o. So here's my question...if the Millie came drilled only for tip up carry would you rather have that or one with a 4-way clip option? I'm just wondering if maybe its easier to object to all those extra ugly holes when the knife already comes in the orientation we prefer.

See what I did there? I'm a sneaky bastard eh? ;) :p
Ah, hahaha! You're not a sneaky bastard, if you were I would like you! ;)

You're 100% right! It suits me so I think stuff the rest of you! Ah, hahaha! :p
Hah! :D
hoghunter82

Post by hoghunter82 »

It's funny- I never even thought about tip up/down before joining this forum. I always just carried however the clip came from the factory on all my knives. Someone above discussed liking the fact that there aren't holes all over the G10 for clip placement- I do love that about the Millie. I do not own a Millie yet- but an order will be placed by the end of the week. Which specific one & where I buy it, I haven't decided yet?!
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Please ambidextrous. Both in lock and clip. Why not. The millie is one of my favs and I hate seeing all the sprints and dealer exclusives in right hand only. It was designed for military use. So what about our left handed military members. If any spydie should be universally usable the military more than qualifies considering it's intended use.

Tip down, deep carry works for me in this knife size.
Mike
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

Is anyone up for a FRN Mille besides me? I like FRN better than G10 myself but probably in the minority.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cricket Bite wrote:Is anyone up for a FRN Mille besides me? I like FRN better than G10 myself but probably in the minority.
I like FRN too but I wonder how much weight it'd save on the Military? At least you'd get the nicely rounded edges.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll pass on FRN. It's great for something like the Pacific but I'll take G10 over it almost every time. The corners on G10 can be as round as you want them to be if you own a Dremel or sandpaper and there's no risk of screwing up the bidirectional pattern like there is with FRN.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Stop lock folks, stop lock! As was foretold many years ago.

I too would lament the loss of the current style of clip. It is my favorite, bar none, and I wish it was on every Spyderco. (I also wish the Military-shaped handle was on every Spyderco, but I realize the knives would then all be quite similar.). I wouldn't like to see any other change other than use the stop lock.

I'm glad this thread exists to drum up some thought and interest in the long awaited Military 2. Now I'm hoping the Shaman can drum up enough interest so we can reopen the Native Chief thread...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Evil D wrote:No offense but if this is the future for the Military then I'm glad I have 5 of the current version. If you have to change that many things to be happy then you need a whole different model knife.
You don't subscribe to the "this knife would be perfect if we just changed everything" school of thought? Watch out, you're becoming an old geezer (like me).
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I used to think the mili was too long. But not after I tried it.
I used to want it to have a compression lock, or at least not a liner lock. But the liner lock works really well and is much easier to one-hand.
I used to want tip up, but for me a blade this size carries and opens much more ergonomically tip down.
I don't care what steel the base model is, I have a pile of sprints in great steels (carry the Cruwear more than anything, but a big fan of M4, S90v too).
In short, I like the Mili the way it is and would not change a thing !

If I want somewhat shorter with compression lock and tip-up, I also have a pile of PM2s that I also carry a lot ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:
Evil D wrote:No offense but if this is the future for the Military then I'm glad I have 5 of the current version. If you have to change that many things to be happy then you need a whole different model knife.
You don't subscribe to the "this knife would be perfect if we just changed everything" school of thought? Watch out, you're becoming an old geezer (like me).
I can relate to having the perfect mental image of a dream knife but if a model has so many things that need changed then it isn't the same knife anymore. I suppose when it boils down to it that's what the Military 2 is going to be, but if you change enough things I don't think it should be called the Military anymore since it'll only share some ergonomic similarities and the name. By that measure the Police 4 may as well be the Military 2 because it has all the things people are asking for here apart from the overly thick blade/tip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
I can relate to having the perfect mental image of a dream knife but if a model has so many things that need changed then it isn't the same knife anymore. I suppose when it boils down to it that's what the Military 2 is going to be, but if you change enough things I don't think it should be called the Military anymore since it'll only share some ergonomic similarities and the name. By that measure the Police 4 may as well be the Military 2 because it has all the things people are asking for here apart from the overly thick blade/tip.
By that measure, the police 3/4 also shouldn't even be called a "police". I'm not disagreeing with your main point just pointing out how the police 4 is a completely different knife than the police. On topic though, I have no desire to overhaul the Millie. Linerlocks aren't my favorite but the linerlock on the Millie works splendidly. I wouldn't want any of the aforementioned changes other than 4-way clip (or rather a 2-way clip on a right handed knife like the Millie) and even that I can mod on my own if need be. I suppose I'd rather see some cqi adding 3 extra clip holes than an actual "military 2".
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm not sure why Sal went with Police4 either, it's closer to a back lock Military than a Police, but then I don't think the Police3 is really a Police either.

In all the years I've been here, I don't recall ever reading through a "Sprint Run wish" thread or a "what I'd like to see on..." thread that didn't have a post in the first two pages that suggested a whole new knife as a Sprint or changing everything but the name on an existing model. "I love this knife, it's perfect except for everything about it" type of stuff. But as long as they leave the Military alone, they can do whatever they want to the Military2. Give it the Swiss Cheese handle and piton tip. I don't care. I don't have to buy it just because it says "Military" on the box, just like I don't have to buy a Police4 just because it has "Police" on the box.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I just want everything to come in H1 or LC200N and be a backlock. I'm a simple man. Make an LC200N Police 4 and I'll shut up :D
Aldey04

Post by Aldey04 »

I would say after thinking about it, I'd keep the options to just left or right carry. It's too big for tip up. I would stay with s35vn for my upgraded model and I would still reinforce the tip a bit without sacrificing the piercing ability too much. More holes would make it less clean so I compromise from my original post.

If you give the Millie more tip strength and a stronger lock and s35vn. Id bet it would be the best selling knife of all time. Kind of like the benchmade 940 is reinforced at tip. Good strong design. Plus I'd keep the knife about 4.2 ounces or less.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

i own a couple of different spydies, but not one of them twice, but the military model, so i suppose i'm pretty satisfied with ergos and everything else.
i bought my second millie because of s110v and the bigger screws (less easy to strip) the bigger more aestethic looking lanyard hole was an additional plus, but wasn't needed.

long story short, i think it's pretty perfect as it is - but on the other hand:
i don't think there could be made so many changes that i wouldn't buy a millie2 ;)

but pretty please NO FRN for me
vivi

Post by vivi »

Keep the thin tip! Skinny tips need love too! These are knives not pry bars :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I don't use kindergarten scissors and I don't want more "reinforced" tips. I understand that they need to donkey-proof some of their knives but let's leave a few models with functional tips.
Aldey04

Post by Aldey04 »

I agree functional is key, but there has to be a way to make it much much stronger and not sacrifice function. We put a rover on mars, we can figure it out.

I just don't want to drop it on concrete and have to buy a new knife. Or if I was military, use it defensively and have a broken tip, rendering the piercing ability stunted.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:Keep the thin tip! Skinny tips need love too! These are knives not pry bars :D
;)
Surfingringo wrote:I don't use kindergarten scissors and I don't want more "reinforced" tips. I understand that they need to donkey-proof some of their knives but let's leave a few models with functional tips.
:cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin