I am afraid to buy Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

I am afraid to buy Spyderco

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a problem. I am afraid to buy Spyderco knives. I just know that as soon as I buy a knife or two, they will release something that I would really like to have and I will not be able to buy that one. However, if I hold off and wait to see what sort of surprise Spyderco has in store for us, I will miss out on the ones being suddenly released now. Aarrggghhh! I need help!

:D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Re: I am afraid to buy Spyderco

Post by SpyderNut »

I run into that problem from time to time too, Doc. Best thing I found was to buy the knife I love today and worry less about a knife I might love tomorrow. ;) Granted, this doesn't help the wallet whatsoever, but it certainly helps to stabilize one's sanity...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

we all need help. lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh I can completely relate. There have been a couple on my wish list that I could have right now but there are at least 2 new releases coming eventually that I'm really anxious for.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Spydercos hold their value surprisingly well, I buy what I like now and if something else comes out I like then I'll sell something at a slightly lower cost than I paid and move onto the next model :D that said....I've got over 40 spydercos so I'm not taking my own advice very well lol
anycal

Post by anycal »

Doc Dan wrote:...I need help!

:D
Most people here do. Please, let us know when you solve this problem.
Peter
remnar

Post by remnar »

The struggle is real...:)
johnson

Post by johnson »

The feeling is mutual. I've got some cash that is burning the crap out of me ! It's set aside for a s110v Para 3 and a Maxamet PM2. :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I'm hearing you Doc! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
LDB

Post by LDB »

I think there was a movie quote or something "You pays yer money and you takes yer chances."
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

As they say, it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, even if that applies to the conversation in your own head about whether to buy or not. Of course, you're asking the completely wrong lot of folks to tell you to restrain yourself! ;) :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ha! I am (unfortunately) not asking for help in restraint. It is that every time, these last two years, that I buy a knife, Spyderco surprises me with another one I have to have and I already spent my budget. Spyderco has been on fire with great designs. There has never been a time in their history when they have had so many great designs and so many more coming out.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

For me, I just wait till later in the evening after a few pops. The new knife seem reasonable then.
Mike
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

At this point, i price out other brands' knives in spyderco units.

"I could buy this, or I could get 2.13 delica sprints...."
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
embry386

Post by embry386 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:At this point, i price out other brands' knives in spyderco units.

"I could buy this, or I could get 2.13 delica sprints...."
lol, I do that too, except I'm a computer enthusiast so I tend to do it with whatever piece of hardware I'm currently after. "I could go out to eat tonight, or get some new clothes, but on the other hand I could buy almost half of that awesome new hard drive with that money..."
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Ha ha, I've been trying to seriously taper off for the last couple of years :confused:

I also think of things in terms of "knife" (= Spyderco!) units or credits. Do I really need that $60 item or service?... that's about half of a knife credit! Pay someone $150 to mow my grass? Never! I could get a fantastic spydie fot that :eek:

The extreme variety of models is what gets me. And the extreme number of variations of my favorites, like the Manix 2. In the last 3 or 4 months I've been unable to resist the Maxamet, the CF Cruwear, and the Blurple S110V... and a couple of days ago I thought up several reasons why I really need :rolleyes: the orange S90V Cutlery Shoppe exclusive, which is on its way to me now... not to mention the luck I had finding a brand new LC200N Never Summer Black/Red Native :p

In each case I thought the purchase at hand would prelude one or two of the future purchases, but it never seemed to work out that way.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

I started with a delica, decided I needed a tad tougher tool for my daily cutting and such. Decided to get a S110V pm2 and am very happy with it, there's no real reason I need another knife. So I bought 2 manix 2s in S110V G10 and lw, a pm 2 cruwear sprint after that and a native 5 to check out S35v and I've got pre-orders standing on the caly hap40 and para 3 cruwear.

I see no problem here.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I see you have contracted the disease.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This thread topic was just proven right two times over for me. I've been really thinking about a new H1/SE knife when the DLC Yojimbo 2 and Dragonfly hawkbill both popped up. I'm really getting gun shy about buying anything lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David