The Spyderco Calendar "which photo should I use" thread.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

The Spyderco Calendar "which photo should I use" thread.

Post by Surfingringo »

This happens to me every year and I imagine I'm probably not the only one. I always try to take a couple of pics for the calendar contest...not because I have big aspirations to win but I just enjoy participating. Inevitably though I end up with two or three shots and can't decide which one to submit. This year, I thought I would start a thread where folks could submit their top two or three shots and get feedback/opinions from fellow forumites. Probably this will only end up making us even more confused about which to pick but it might be fun to see what people are choosing between. So if you've got a couple that you can't decide between, post em in this thread and see what advice you get.

For me, I've got three that I can't decide between. Honestly, I don't think any of them are quite up to snuff but they are the best I have been able to get so far.

ZrowsN1s

Re: The Spyderco Calendar "which photo should I use" thread.

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like the one you have posted already personally (the tusk and rope). I told someone the other day I thought that shot would win 1st place.
But ya, I'm already planning on submitting a different picture for my submission, I am clearly outclassed by more than 12 others, so I figured back to the drawing board.

I desperately need to get a better camera. My shots always turn out a little blurry because I'm using my cellphone :(
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Surfingringo wrote: For me, I've got three that I can't decide between. Honestly, I don't think any of them are quite up to snuff but they are the best I have been able to get so far.

I like the background of your 1st image with the boats, but like the angle and composition of the second image with the rope better. My vote, you already have the best posted. :)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I really like the first one on the chain, but the second one has better lighting, i.e. the knife is better lit and stands out more. If you could redo the first shot or maybe touch it up, I'd be happy to stare at that for a month!
Last edited by PayneTrain on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I like the 2nd one a lot. The rope is great, you nailed the lighting angle, and the dark blue background helps the knife pop IMO. I'd try cropping it to remove the tree-meets-sky line, which would further the focus on the knife. If you do retake the shot, consider separating the tip of the blade from the rope/foreground more to make it stand out. All of them are great shots!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Great idea Lance! I'm having trouble deciding too and I was considering asking the forum for their thoughts as well. In fact, I was just about to send a few pics to some friends to their opinions. I guess I'll post a few here instead.

As far as your pics, I think it's a toss up between the two Tusk pics. The one with the rusty chain is cool but I think the one with the rope showcases the knife a little better.

As far as my pics. I'm not sure that any of these are really calendar worthy but I'm always hopeful. Which one do you guys think I should submit?

I've already submitted the first pic. I like it but I'm not sure it's the best choice.

I kind of like this one too but I think the sun was on the wrong side. I'm also not sure if I like the fact that there are two knives in the pic. I might head over to the lake next weekend and try to recapture the shot in the morning.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:...
As far as my pics. I'm not sure that any of these are really calendar worthy but I'm always hopeful. Which one do you guys think I should submit?

I've already submitted the first pic. I like it but I'm not sure it's the best choice.
I like the cru-wear Hap40 combo.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thanks for starting this thread Lance, definitely something I was hoping to get some help with as well! I have a few shots now that I've been considering, and still have an idea for a shot I'd like to try, this thread will help me decide I'm sure!

Lance - I really like the shot with the rope. It's a well composed shot of the knife in general and the context and setting are ideal for the knife. Especially, considering it's kind of a "specialty" model with the Marlin spike. Well done!
I also liked the shot with the knife on the chains. It has a really nautical vibe with the knife and large weathered chain links in the foreground and the marina in the background, but my vote goes to the shot with the rope!

Sharp Guy - I vote for the picture you've already submitted. It's a unique shot and really feels like a Spydie landed on some rolling hills on mars, and then the "pilot" is in background exploring the new planet :spyder:. Also, the orange scales give it a cool orange monochrome feel, that only adds to the Mars look.
-Nick :bug-red
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Sharp Guy, I agree with Mushroom. I'd stick with the first one. Very cool!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Great Idea! I have two photos I cannot decide between either.

Lance, the first pic is good but the lighting on the knife in the second pic is much better. I really like the second pic. I think you should stick with that one.

Sharp guy, I think you have already picked your best one as well. The monochromatic orange thing looks cool and the spider in the background gives the pic that extra something.

Here is the pic I want to submit but I cannot decide between the full color and the black, white and orange. Whatcha think?

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Lance I love the one you have already submitted. The tusk looks right at home on top of that rope.

Dang Darby that's a tough one, I really like both of them!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Sharp Guy, I agree with others that the "Mars" pic is the call.

Darby, man, that's a touch call. I like them both for different reasons but I think I like the one with the green grass better. Maybe one where you only convert the wood to B&W? I know it would be a subtle change but it might bring out those beautifully contrasting colors even more.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp Guy - The first shot is unique and awesome... I vote stick with that

Darby - as great as the BW shot is, I like the full color slightly more. There's the added contrast of the orange/green, and a more honest feel. Plus I kinda like the subtle colors in the decking.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Lance, I'd use the rusty chain and never-rusty Tusk. Ironic composition.

SG, I'd use the "Mars" UKPK.

Darby, I'd use the decolorized one. Really brings out the Delica's burnt orange.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Lance - I like the 1st one. That rusty chain is too cool not to use!

Sharp Guy - I like your first one.

Darby - that is tough, but I'd have to say just for calendar media, more colors are more pleasant to look at for a MONTH! Nice shot.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Here's my short list. I'm leaning toward my "more colors, mo' better" logic, but still undecided...

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mark, I'd use the second Delica wharnie. Upside-down clouds!
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sharp Guy wrote:Great idea Lance! I'm having trouble deciding too and I was considering asking the forum for their thoughts as well. In fact, I was just about to send a few pics to some friends to their opinions. I guess I'll post a few here instead.

As far as your pics, I think it's a toss up between the two Tusk pics. The one with the rusty chain is cool but I think the one with the rope showcases the knife a little better.

I kind of like this one too but I think the sun was on the wrong side. I'm also not sure if I like the fact that there are two knives in the pic. I might head over to the lake next weekend and try to recapture the shot in the morning.

The blue Delica for sure. It has a lot of interesting things and textures going on in the picture.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Surfingringo wrote:This happens to me every year and I imagine I'm probably not the only one. I always try to take a couple of pics for the calendar contest...not because I have big aspirations to win but I just enjoy participating. Inevitably though I end up with two or three shots and can't decide which one to submit. This year, I thought I would start a thread where folks could submit their top two or three shots and get feedback/opinions from fellow forumites. Probably this will only end up making us even more confused about which to pick but it might be fun to see what people are choosing between. So if you've got a couple that you can't decide between, post em in this thread and see what advice you get.

For me, I've got three that I can't decide between. Honestly, I don't think any of them are quite up to snuff but they are the best I have been able to get so far.

Of the 3 I like #2.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I think I like your first one best mb1.