Tip down/Military epiphany

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Tip down/Military epiphany

Post by Evil D »

I've been meaning to do some long term testing of sorts with Vaseline and bearing grease as pivot lubes and I had a bit of a laugh to myself today. One of the (only) real issues with using these types of products to lube a pivot is that they can collect pocket lint. I've found that it's really no worse and actually sometimes better than other wet lubes, because despite the fact that lint can stick to it, it can also act as a barrier and physically prevent lint from making it to the pivot.

However, over the last few months I've been monitoring my Military's for this issue, and so far my pivots have stayed consistently clean and lint free. Hmmm... That's when it occurred to me....

It's kinda hard to get pocket lint into a pivot that isn't IN your pocket.

:p
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Re: Tip down/Military epiphany

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Good point. I think I would carry more of my knives like the Yo2 tip down but I don't like how the clip interferes with my grip.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Evil D wrote:However, over the last few months I've been monitoring my Military's for this issue, and so far my pivots have stayed consistently clean and lint free. Hmmm... That's when it occurred to me....

Congratulations on catching up with where Sal was in 1982. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:
Evil D wrote:However, over the last few months I've been monitoring my Military's for this issue, and so far my pivots have stayed consistently clean and lint free. Hmmm... That's when it occurred to me....

Congratulations on catching up with where Sal was in 1982. ;)
Ya know, I do like tip up on shorter smaller knives and I even like deep carry for discretion, but tip down pivot out really does make a whole lot of sense especially on a large knife.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I was wondering why pocket lint seemed to be a big problem for a lot of people but not so much for me. Seems like you have the answer there. Probably because I mostly carry tip down. Besides, I don't lube my pivots.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Evil D wrote:I've been meaning to do some long term testing of sorts with Vaseline and bearing grease as pivot lubes and I had a bit of a laugh to myself today. One of the (only) real issues with using these types of products to lube a pivot is that they can collect pocket lint. I've found that it's really no worse and actually sometimes better than other wet lubes, because despite the fact that lint can stick to it, it can also act as a barrier and physically prevent lint from making it to the pivot.

However, over the last few months I've been monitoring my Military's for this issue, and so far my pivots have stayed consistently clean and lint free. Hmmm... That's when it occurred to me....

That is a really good point. However, on many folders the tip up clip position is much more comfortable while using the knife. Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow reduce or eliminate pocket lint?

Here's a thought experiment: how much pocket lint gets generated in one pocket during the interval between launderings? I'll bet it's not a lot. Therefore, if there were a way to clean the inside of your pocket at each laundering, lint buildup might be minimal. What might this method be? Hmmm...
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

You could wash with the pockets turned out but I'd be concerned that they'd develop holes prematurely.
LDB

Post by LDB »

Snap/button the pants and zip them up. Turn the pockets out and then turn the pants inside out. The pockets are out to release lint etc. but still protected by the pants from premature wear.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I personally never understood the desire for a tip up Military. Tip down is far safer, more functional, and more practical on a knife like that.

As for the lint, I suppose you could always vacuum your pockets. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote: That is a really good point. However, on many folders the tip up clip position is much more comfortable while using the knife. Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow reduce or eliminate pocket lint?

Here's a thought experiment: how much pocket lint gets generated in one pocket during the interval between launderings? I'll bet it's not a lot. Therefore, if there were a way to clean the inside of your pocket at each laundering, lint buildup might be minimal. What might this method be? Hmmm...

You could turn your pocket inside out and use a sticky lint roller on it. The clip comfort thing is "there" for me regardless of where the clip is, I'm not sure I'd say it's better or worse in either position. I've used my Military's pretty hard and honestly don't ever recall getting hot spots from the clip.
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'm starting to lose my resistance to tip-down carry, at least for large knives. Maybe a Millie or three is in my future. I'll give tip-down a go with the Police4 when it materializes.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
johnson

Post by johnson »

Hi David. I Think you've got a good point here. I Carry all my knife's tip down. If it doesn't have a clip mounting option for tip down I don't buy it. I Could never understand why so many poeple complain about lint being stuck in pivots and lock faces. It's very seldom that I experience it. This argument makes perfect sense to me. :) :spyder:
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I'm actually looking forward to being forced to try tip-down when I get a Meerkat, with the caveat that it seems to really be better on larger knives.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
vivi

Post by vivi »

No pocket lint carried tip up IWB either ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:No pocket lint carried tip up IWB either ;)
No just belly button lint :eek:
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

no belly buttons behind my hip :p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:no belly buttons behind my hip :p
I don't wanna talk about the lint that collects back there lol
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hey D, when you carry your millie in your front pocket do you clip towards front of the pocket (closer to your center line) or towards the rear of the pocket (closer to your hip)?

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Hey D, when you carry your millie in your front pocket do you clip towards front of the pocket (closer to your center line) or towards the rear of the pocket (closer to your hip)?
Outer seam towards my hip/rear pocket.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Been trying out tip down on the Yo2. I like it. Gives me a little faster draw.