Which knives would you like to see in XL size?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Which knives would you like to see in XL size?

Post by vivi »

All this talk about the para 3, a manix 3, smaller this smaller that.

Geez, making me feel like the only one with big hands around here.

Smallest knife in my EDC rotation is a Pacific Salt. I don't go any smaller than that for my primary folding knife. Anything smaller and I'm not interested. If I carry a smaller knife, it's a multi-tool to go along with my Spydercos, e.g. Leatherman Squirt or Victorinox Soldier.

Spyderco makes a much more limited offering of knives that fit my hands than they do small folders. If anything I want to see more large knives. For example, if you want a large lock back, which is what I prefer, there are only two options currently offered that are larger than an Endura - The Police and Tatanka.

So what designs would you like to see given the XL treatment, so that a knife you've written off due to size is back on your radar?

Here are mine:

- Tasman Salt. Every time I carry mine, I wish it had a longer handle. I want another run of the Spyderhawk. Same E3 style handle, same H1 blade.

- Ark. Even with a Lanyard, there really isn't enough meat to the handle for me. One scaled up to the size of the Street Beat would serve a lot more uses for me.

- Yojimbo 2. Same thing with a more spacious handle and longer blade.

- Caly 3. The original Calypso was brought back for a sprint run, but I missed out. Now they go for $300. This always looked like a great folder, but I never got a chance to try it.

- Pacific Salt. Having one sized the same as the Police 3 with the Endura 3 style clip and a FFG would be my dream knife.
p_atrick

Re: Which knives would you like to see in XL size?

Post by p_atrick »

Funny, I like a smaller blade, but don't mind a larger handle. The PM2 is just perfect for me. The cutting length is about 3 inches with a nice finger choil (unlike those choils that aren't quite big enough for an index finger, but way bigger than needed for sharpening). However, the handle is large enough that pretty much anybody can get a good grip on it.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I like the Manix 2 XL, but I want it with a K390 or Maxamet blade, or perhaps the new Carpenter A11 tool steel.
That would make it a folding version of my favorite Mules. I would buy any one of those blade steels in a Manix 2 XL.
I think perhaps the Manix 2 XL would gain some much deserved popularity with more steel options. I like it. But just not in stainless.
Maybe a Sprint Run. :eek:
Last edited by El Gato on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I, too, would like to see more love for the Manix XL. Sprints would be fine, maybe Cru-wear with stone G10, or Maxamet of some color.
reallyreallybigman

Post by reallyreallybigman »

I hear ya. Can't say that there's any in particular that I want an XL of necessarily, but I prefer the heft of my Manix XL. Not just the blade (though 3.5" to 4" is right up my alley) but I like a beefy handle.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd like to see the Manix XL in something tough, like 3V.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yojimbo 2
Dragonfly 2

And I know it seems odd but the Manix 2. Yes I know there's an XL, but the proportions are too different. Just elongate the original by 1/2-3/4 in the blade and handle and don't change anything else.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Gayle Bradley 2. 4" of edge
Sage 5 XL
SpydieChef 4" edge
Bring back the Goddard full size with G10
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
IR192

Post by IR192 »

Vivi wrote:
- Pacific Salt. Having one sized the same as the Police 3 with the Endura 3 style clip and a FFG would be my dream knife.

This, right here. Also, would like to add in an LC200N model, DLC coating, in a dark blue handle with the new Ti pocket clip...
Recently Acquired: Hap40 Endura, Hap40 Stretch, Manix2 LW XHP, PM2 Cruwear, Farid K2, Kiwi4, LC200N Native, Large Lum Folder, Manix2 Cruwear.

In The Works: 204P Military, Nirvana, Slysz Bowie.
-Ed
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Manix 2 XL Back Lock with K390 steel. (I'd take S30V or XHP, but prefer K390). Grey.

Manix 2 XL Back Lock Lightweight with CTS-XHP.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

p_atrick wrote:Funny, I like a smaller blade, but don't mind a larger handle. The PM2 is just perfect for me. The cutting length is about 3 inches with a nice finger choil (unlike those choils that aren't quite big enough for an index finger, but way bigger than needed for sharpening). However, the handle is large enough that pretty much anybody can get a good grip on it.
The handle is about 90-95% of the size I'd like. I EDC'd one for yeara and I think it's one of Spydercos best designs, but that pinky swell always bit into my grip uncomfortably. I also prefer about a half inch more cutting edge. I appreciate the enhanced tip control of the shorter PM2 blade, but I find I can choke up on the larger knives well enough.
El Gato wrote: I think perhaps the Manix 2 XL would gain some much deserved popularity with more steel options. I like it. But just not in stainless.
Maybe a Sprint Run. :eek:
I'd love to see more Manix XL options. It'sone of my favorite designs from Spyderco. I would adore a lightweight DLC version, but more steel options would be nice too. One of their best no nonsense work horse designs.
vivi

Post by vivi »

IR192 wrote:
Vivi wrote:

This, right here. Also, would like to add in an LC200N model, DLC coating, in a dark blue handle with the new Ti pocket clip...
If they made an upscaled FFG LC200N Pacific Salt, or LC200N Police 4, the only question is how many I would buy :)
Doc Dan wrote:Manix 2 XL Back Lock with K390 steel. (I'd take S30V or XHP, but prefer K390). Grey.

Manix 2 XL Back Lock Lightweight with CTS-XHP.
I've voiced my support for a Manix XL backlock in many threads, and I'll do it again here. I love a strong self close, and the backlock cannot be beat in that respect.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Just think of a Manix 2 LW Back Lock in LC200N.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:Just think of a Manix 2 XL LW Back Lock in LC200N.
Fixed ;)

I'd throw money at this company if they made that. I wish extreme corrosion resistance was as high of a priority with their customer base as edge holding is. Sucks having preferences that don't conform with the mainstream.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Corrosion resistance is somewhat important to me, but not the only thing. My sweat does not corrode like some people's does. I can handle a fine blued firearm without fear. Carbon steel does not do too well where I live, now. But, a little Vaseline takes good care of that issue as long as I am not in water.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Would love to see a Mantra 2 XL using LC200N. Prefer a blade around 5". Would make an excellent all-round saltwater knife......or to keep it easy, a Ti Millie with LC200N.
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

I'd love a 3.5 inch ukpk
shaztecs_knives on instagram
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

Gayle bradley xl, southard flipper xl, and Dragonfly xl would be awesome!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For years I've tried to imagine what a bigger scale DODO model would be like. I truly believe that if you took the DODO model and make it two to three times as large as it is that it would be an even better blade than it is.

Also there was an older fixed blade model called the SPOT. I bet the SPOT model would be great in a larger size as well.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I also like larger blades, and would also love a Calypso (never could have one), Yojimbo and a LC200N Pacific. Add to that list the return of the Ulize, in LC200N, as well as a Reverse S in that steel.
My ARK feels tiny too, I'd carry it more if it were 0.5" longer in the blade and in the handle.
I also imagine a LC200N Swick being a total winner!