What Oil do you guys use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
heavenlytumbleweed

What Oil do you guys use?

Post by heavenlytumbleweed »

My tenacious is coming in the mail soon and I was wondering what oil I should get to wipe the blade down with.

Also, what lube do you guys recommend for the mechanisms? what areas should I lube other than where the knife turns, if there are any?

How often should I apply oil? I read 2-3 times a year, more if you're near the ocean.

Thanks!
Evil D

Re: What Oil do you guys use?

Post by Evil D »

If you're concerned about food prep then food grade mineral oil or Vaseline are good for the blade (if it's really necessary) and will work for the pivot too. I prefer Vaseline or bearing grease in the pivot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

FP-10 is primarily what I use on all of my knives and firearms. It works very well and has a pleasant smell to boot.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I use Nano-oil 10w on pivots, I've yet to oil any blade but maybe mineral oil if concerned about food.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

Been using Frog Lube for the past 10 years. That was when I discovered that it helped heal the cold dry weather cracks on my thumbs and fingers during Pennsylvania winters. It lubes the PM2 in my pocket and the S & W on my hip. It is food safe, so, go ahead and quarter that apple. You can eat it. The stories of Frog Lube turning rancid are "fake news". Been using it for a decade on all my knives, guns, door hinges, and anything else that needs lubed or rust proofed. Never a problem. Good stuff made by disabled war veterans. May God bless them. Hardbawl
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Hardbawl wrote:Been using Frog Lube for the past 10 years. That was when I discovered that it helped heal the cold dry weather cracks on my thumbs and fingers during Pennsylvania winters. It lubes the PM2 in my pocket and the S & W on my hip. It is food safe, so, go ahead and quarter that apple. You can eat it. The stories of Frog Lube turning rancid are "fake news". Been using it for a decade on all my knives, guns, door hinges, and anything else that needs lubed or rust proofed. Never a problem. Good stuff made by disabled war veterans. May God bless them. Hardbawl
Since you've been using FrogLube so long, I had a question for you: is there anything to the "expiration date" that I understand they fairly recently started putting on froglube? I have a large bottle of it that's technically "expired" by several months, but it still smells fine and seems to work well. Have you had any frog lube with an expiration date, and did you note any problems with using it after the expiration? Thanks in advance!
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

You can give Ballistol a try. Works really well on the blade and on G10. I wouldn't use it as a lubricant for the pivot though, because it tends to gunk up inside and usually phosphorous bronze washers don't really like it. Oh and it's 100% foodsafe.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Squawk wrote:You can give Ballistol a try. Works really well on the blade and on G10. I wouldn't use it as a lubricant for the pivot though, because it tends to gunk up inside and usually phosphorous bronze washers don't really like it. Oh and it's 100% foodsafe.
Now for regular lubrication oil on folders that I don't think will be used on food applications I pretty much just use "Millitec". I've said several times that if anyone can show me a better general purpose lubricating oil that Militec I will switch brands immediately. Now I also like the Sentry Solution line of products. Their oil called TUF-GLIDE is actually comparable to Militec. But Sentry Solutions also has about the best dry lube I've ever used and it's called BP-2000. It's far better than any graphite or teflon based dry lubes I've ever used.

Now BALLISTOL is a product I just swear by>> it will actually rejuvenate G-10 handles. I treat all of my G-10 handles ( even the ones I keep in the footlocker or safe). I've seen BALLISTOL work miracles on old G-10 handles. It really makes G-10 look like brand new. I've also had great luck with BALLISTOL for several different cleaning jobs. Great Thread!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I never oil the blades themselves. I buy extremely corrosion resistant steels so I don't have to worry about that.

For pivots I use mineral oil. Food safe, dirt cheap, and available in every town that has a grocery store or drug store.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

JD Spydo wrote:
Squawk wrote:You can give Ballistol a try. Works really well on the blade and on G10. I wouldn't use it as a lubricant for the pivot though, because it tends to gunk up inside and usually phosphorous bronze washers don't really like it. Oh and it's 100% foodsafe.
Now for regular lubrication oil on folders that I don't think will be used on food applications I pretty much just use "Millitec". I've said several times that if anyone can show me a better general purpose lubricating oil that Militec I will switch brands immediately. Now I also like the Sentry Solution line of products. Their oil called TUF-GLIDE is actually comparable to Militec. But Sentry Solutions also has about the best dry lube I've ever used and it's called BP-2000. It's far better than any graphite or teflon based dry lubes I've ever used.

Now BALLISTOL is a product I just swear by>> it will actually rejuvenate G-10 handles. I treat all of my G-10 handles ( even the ones I keep in the footlocker or safe). I've seen BALLISTOL work miracles on old G-10 handles. It really makes G-10 look like brand new. I've also had great luck with BALLISTOL for several different cleaning jobs. Great Thread!
I use Tuf-Glide to clean and protect, especially on my M4 and HAP40 blades. For lubrication, I use Nano-oil.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

For the past year I've been using mineral oil.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Ballistol or Camilla oil on blades, Breakfree or fine oil on pivots.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I use Nano Oil (10 weight) and have nothing bad to say about it. It does seem that it is a bit more expensive than some of the other stuff. Also, availability seems better as well. Amazon was hit or miss. Knives Ship Free now carries it (assume there are more). I have not compared it to anything so I can't really say it is the "best". I chose it because everybody seemed to be talking about it at the time. However, I found this video interesting:

https://youtu.be/s9cuKQxk55o

If you don't feel like watching the whole thing, you don't need the latest and greatest. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have some oil (gun, reel, or whatever) kicking around, go ahead and use that. As for coating the blade, mineral oil is dirt cheap, and you can find it at any grocery store.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Everyone has their favorite. I have been using Japanese Sword Oil, (Camilla oil) for a long time with very satisfactory results for both a pivot lube and blade protectant. I get mine from Blade Gallery. A large bottle lasts for years.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Hardbawl wrote:The stories of Frog Lube turning rancid are "fake news". Been using it for a decade on all my knives, guns, door hinges, and anything else that needs lubed or rust proofed. Never a problem. Good stuff made by disabled war veterans. May God bless them.
Glad to hear it. I bought a decent sized jar of the stuff. I don't use much, so it's gonna last forever. I was starting to doubt whether I should keep it around or not. Plus, I like giving my money to a worthy company (by that I mean there is more than just the product).
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Sentry Tuff Glide and Sentry Tuff Cloth
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

CXXX wrote:Sentry Tuff Glide and Sentry Tuff Cloth
There's a lot of good things to be said about the great line up of products that Sentry Solutions makes. Their TUF-CLOTH is truly a life saver and it really works and works well. Again I just love their dry lube i. e. "BP-2000".

Their Marine Grade TUF-Cloth is really good stuff. They are a great company but I still think that Militec has more lubricity than TUF-GLIDE. A good friend of mine who is a real GLOCK fanatic has been using Militec products for over ten years and he swears by their line of stuff. Militec's synthetic grease is just really great stuff. I use it on my German made fishing reels ( D.A.M. Quick).

But I have a ton of respect for Sentry Solutions.
heavenlytumbleweed

Post by heavenlytumbleweed »

This is unrelated but I don't want to spam the forum with more question posts, but I unscrewed two clip screws and the bottom half were reddish brown. That's cool. what do?
JimP

Post by JimP »

I assume your just referring to thread locker (Loctite) to prevent loosening screws.

Like quite a few others, I use Camellia oil on my blades, excellent food grade oil, I've had the same bottle for around 15 years and still have 2/3's left. For my pivots I use INOX which may only be available in Australia?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That's cool. what do?
Clean them off and reapply thread locker when you reinstall. Or not.