What Oil do you guys use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cliff_B07

Re: What Oil do you guys use?

Post by cliff_B07 »

Food grade Mineral Oil
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Tuff glide
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Another one for Tuff Glide.
Josh
heavenlytumbleweed

Post by heavenlytumbleweed »

Oh **** it, that's thread locker? you learn something new every day I guess. I just screwed then back in earlier when I was done messing around with it.
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

elduderino04 wrote:
Hardbawl wrote:Been using Frog Lube for the past 10 years. That was when I discovered that it helped heal the cold dry weather cracks on my thumbs and fingers during Pennsylvania winters. It lubes the PM2 in my pocket and the S & W on my hip. It is food safe, so, go ahead and quarter that apple. You can eat it. The stories of Frog Lube turning rancid are "fake news". Been using it for a decade on all my knives, guns, door hinges, and anything else that needs lubed or rust proofed. Never a problem. Good stuff made by disabled war veterans. May God bless them. Hardbawl
Since you've been using FrogLube so long, I had a question for you: is there anything to the "expiration date" that I understand they fairly recently started putting on froglube? I have a large bottle of it that's technically "expired" by several months, but it still smells fine and seems to work well. Have you had any frog lube with an expiration date, and did you note any problems with using it after the expiration? Thanks in advance!
Elduderino: Have a jar that must be about 2 years old. It has a number stamped on The bottom, but, I'm not sure that is an expiration date. Could be a lot number. I have an 8oz. tub at my shop that has to be 5 years old. It is fine. Bye the bye, I use it for lip balm, so if it were bad I would know. There are folks who have other favorite lubes. Their lube is as good as Frog Lube. BUT Frog Lube is made by disabled veterans. That is why I use it. If for some reason a jar went bad I would toss it and buy another just to support disabled vets that want to work. That's who I am. In the last 10 years I have never had a problem. Hardbawl
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Hardbawl wrote:
Elduderino: Have a jar that must be about 2 years old. It has a number stamped on The bottom, but, I'm not sure that is an expiration date. Could be a lot number. I have an 8oz. tub at my shop that has to be 5 years old. It is fine. Bye the bye, I use it for lip balm, so if it were bad I would know. There are folks who have other favorite lubes. Their lube is as good as Frog Lube. BUT Frog Lube is made by disabled veterans. That is why I use it. If for some reason a jar went bad I would toss it and buy another just to support disabled vets that want to work. That's who I am. In the last 10 years I have never had a problem. Hardbawl
Thanks for the insight! I definitely agree, it works great for me and it seems to have good guys behind it. I'd just hate to throw away almost a whole bottle if it wasn't necessary. I'll continue to use it till it's clearly bad.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I don't usually use anything on my stainless blades but might occasionally put a little mineral oil in the pivots after a thorough wash.

I use mineral oil on my non-stainless blades as well. I know I could end up eating with almost any of them. I might use something more serious on a saw or similar, but for knives I carry regularly, it's always mineral oil.

I need to consider something different for my indonesian hand-forged kris(keris). That thing loves to rust and it's a beautiful damascus.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I like using Froglube. One of the many lubricants I have around. I like it because it stays put and is safe to use on food.
hoghunter82

Post by hoghunter82 »

I use Ballistol on everything. Blades, pivots, firearms.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Nano-Oil 5/10/85 weight & Nano-Grease.
RocketBen

Post by RocketBen »

I use Frog Lube on the blades, but I don't use it in the pivot anymore. I felt like it gummed things up worse than other lubes.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Does nobody besides myself use any of "MILITEC's" products any longer :confused: ? The reason I ask that is because a few years back even BENCHMADE officially made it their lube of choice. I even bought my very first bottle of it from a BENCHMADE booth at one of the knife shows. But it's as though it totally dropped off the radar screen and became a fly in the ointment almost overnight :confused:

I still say that Militec's synthetic grease is one of the best grease type lubes I've ever used. I'm going to try out some of this other stuff like FROG LUBE and Nano Lube. But for now my main lubes are Militec and TufGlide.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Almost 500 Spydies in, all lubed with Nano-Oil 10W!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King