Tusk marlin spike issue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mynameistim

Tusk marlin spike issue

Post by mynameistim »

HI all
I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me :)
I have a Spyderco Tusk, which I bought to use on my sailing boat, primarily for the marlin spike. Unfortunately the locking mechanism, which looks gorgeous, doesn't lock the spike properly, and on several occasions it's folded while using, and even cut my hand once.
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?
farnorthdan

Re: Tusk marlin spike issue

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum, I don't own the tusk, sounds like a warranty issue, I'd give W&R a call, send for repair.

Or maybe there's a piece of debris fouling the lock somehow,
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
mynameistim

Post by mynameistim »

not so easy - I currently live in Poland. I took the knife back to the dealer, but they refused to help. It would cost a lot to send it back to the US I guess, and I've lost a few items in the post before. It would be a shame to lose this knife - it cost a small fortune :/
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Bummer, I know there are others here with that model, maybe they can help,
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

You might just want to e-mail Spyderco's Warranty & Repair Department because under your unusual circumstances they might have other options for you. Spyderco's Warranty & Repair is second to none and they've always made sure I was a happy Customer. The TUSK model is truly one of their premier units and I'm really surprised that you are having the problems you're having.

There has got to be a solution to this problem you've encountered. I'm wanting a TUSK model myself but I'm holding out for a SPYDEREDGED unit. I feel that any knife made for marine and/or fishing uses should be available in Spyderedge to make it.

It's very encouraging that Spyderco knives are getting even a bigger presence over in Europe. Another option I would like to see on the TUSK model would be a gut-hook. The Gut-hook would make a great cutter for cordage. And a Spyderedged blade would make the TUSK model a "Must Have" for me.
mynameistim

Post by mynameistim »

I've spoken to W&R - they're looking into it, but their initial response was that I don't have any option other than sending it to the US :(
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Given the difficulty returning a knife from Poland, the simplest and safest solution would be to treat it as a non-locking mariing spike. Folks have been using those for over a century without incident.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mynameistim

Post by mynameistim »

I see what you mean, but then my old, one-piece spike works so much better - I know I'm going to feel stupid every time I look at the Tusk and remember how much I paid for it, especially since it's developed a couple of tiny rough spots on the spike where it closes and hits the titanium, which are starting to snag the fibres on some smaller ropes :(
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Yeah I would wonder if there was some trusted fellow Spyderco knife user or someone with machining skill who is familiar with knives and knife locking mechanisms who could help you fix it, but I don't know how you'd find them.

Would you like to see Spyderco make a fixed blade Salt knife that includes a marlin spike in a sheath-set?
mynameistim

Post by mynameistim »

It's difficult to see what the problem is - the ball mechanism is clean, there isn't any visible movement, and the ball moves all the way to the top when locked, but just a little pressure and it unlocks every time. Fingers crossed Spyderco will get mack to me and suggest something. Apart from that, it's a beautiful, well made knife.
Regarding a fixed-blade salt knife/marlin spike set - it would be nice. I keep a fixed blade on the boat for emergencies, but it gets stolen regularly, so I wouldn't want anything too good ;)
And, I agree with JD Spydo that a serrated edge on the Tusk would be an improvement for sailors, but I'd keep the general profile of the blade - it works very well for me (no need for a sheepsfoot on such a short blade IMHO).
Also, a floating spike/rope cutter would be great (polished titanium, 10-cm spike with sculpted, bouyant handle and a concealed rope cutter) - a lot of my tools have found their way to the bottom of the ocean over the years :/ Bit of a niche product though, and perhaps too much of a working tool to be an expensive high-quality item. I can dream though ;)
mynameistim

Post by mynameistim »

Quick update, if anyone's interested ;) Spyderco have been in touch and were really helpful, offering to let me send the knife to somewhere in Poland. I'm impressed :))
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Great news!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

mynameistim wrote:Quick update, if anyone's interested ;) Spyderco have been in touch and were really helpful, offering to let me send the knife to somewhere in Poland. I'm impressed :))
Good news, that's how it should be done (and many other manufacturers do). There are retailers all over Europe so they should be able to post stuff to Spyderco.