Military geometry suggestions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
crazywednesday

Military geometry suggestions

Post by crazywednesday »

Im receiving a Military cts-204p in the mail today. This will be my first military and my first knife in 204p. Im taking suggestions on what blade geometry I should use. It will be an edc knife that mostly cuts material softer than wood. Think food, paper, packaging, cardboard, ect. I was thinking 16dps with 8K shapton micro bevel 20dps. Let me know what you think. This will be my first step above s30v.

Justin
Justin
Evil D

Re: Military geometry suggestions

Post by Evil D »

I think you'll be cheating yourself at those angles if you really do use it lightly. I'd go with at least 30 if not lower on the primary bevel if you can (if you can set the bevel on an Edge Pro or something) and then micro at 30 if possible.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I frequently reprofile edges on my Spydercos, but the stock grind on my 204P Military works really well as an all-around use blade and still slices like crazy. Seems to me that going too low-angle locks you out of heavier use later on (unless you remove a bunch of metal to get back to a higher angle) and misses out on some of the "big knife" capability that the Millie's has.

That said, a low angle on 204P with that blade pattern will be one huge razor blade! :D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It should come around 15 dps and running a 20 dps micro bevel on it should be just fine. For my uses it has worked well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I have one of these also but have not really used it since my Blurple haze is in my pocket all the time.

Where can I read up on cts-204p and what difference is there between s110v and it?
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Thanks for the responses. It came in the mail today and it's a beast. I was fairly happy with the factory edge. It push cuts paper with ease. I think I'm going to leave the factory angle for a while and see how I like it. At least until it needs sharpening. My only complaint is the drag from the liner lock. It's fairly gritty and heavy. It's likely this knife will be getting a fluff'n'buff this weekend. Is that how all militaries are out of the box?

Justin
Justin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I try to keep bevels a couple of degrees under 30 inclusive on all my Spyders so I can touch up on the SM 30deg setting if need be.

I've taken EDC folder much lower than 30deg in the past and generally it's come back and bit me on the butt down the track. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I run most of my Spyderco folders at 30 degrees inclusive. They cut well and hold the edge a reasonable time. My two ZDP folders (saber Delica and blue handled Stretch) are convexed at around 20 degrees inclusive at the apex. They are light sabers.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

crazywednesday wrote:Thanks for the responses. It came in the mail today and it's a beast. I was fairly happy with the factory edge. It push cuts paper with ease. I think I'm going to leave the factory angle for a while and see how I like it. At least until it needs sharpening. My only complaint is the drag from the liner lock. It's fairly gritty and heavy. It's likely this knife will be getting a fluff'n'buff this weekend. Is that how all militaries are out of the box?

Justin
Get a toothpick and either some Vaseline or bearing grease and put a little dab of it on the detent ball. That'll help smooth out the friction.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

crazywednesday wrote:Thanks for the responses. It came in the mail today and it's a beast. I was fairly happy with the factory edge. It push cuts paper with ease. I think I'm going to leave the factory angle for a while and see how I like it. At least until it needs sharpening. My only complaint is the drag from the liner lock. It's fairly gritty and heavy. It's likely this knife will be getting a fluff'n'buff this weekend. Is that how all militaries are out of the box?

Justin
The knife will loosen up over time. For reference my latest Factory Militaries all measured out at 12-13 degrees per side. I generally run mine at 10 per side with a 15 per side microbevel to good effect. My CPM M4 Military is running at 9/12 right now, without any problems so far. For light cutting I see no reason why 10/15 wouldn't work great for you. You really don't need thick angles if you are mainly doing cardboard and other soft materials along with some food prep.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

crazywednesday wrote:My only complaint is the drag from the liner lock. It's fairly gritty and heavy. It's likely this knife will be getting a fluff'n'buff this weekend. Is that how all militaries are out of the box?
I only have the cts-204p and the s110v but I noticed the drag on my cts-204p also. My s110v will swing down like a guillotine and cut your hand off when you hold it horizontally and press the liner lock if you don't get out of the way. It's remarkable, I don't remember any other liner lock locking up so tight and also moving so freely at the same time. Not only is the Blurple an engineering masterpiece it's also a manufacturing masterpiece. I can't thank Sal and the Spydie crew enough for this one.

I guess I'll take the Green Meanie apart when I get a round tuit and try to see what the problem is.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

After a 40 minute breakdown and fluff'n'buff everything is right in my world again. I was pleased to see spyderco made an attempt to polish the surface where the liner bearing rides. Of course I had to enhance all bearing surfaces to mirror shine. I did notice one little burr where the flat spot in pivot hole was. The must punch it towards pivot side. I cleaned that up with a stone. It now opens buttery smooth with very little effort. Lock up is still as solid as it could possibly be. Happy camper here. Once I wear this edge off Ill profile it down and give that a go. Thanks again for everyones input.

Justin
Justin
vivi

Post by vivi »

I took mine down a bit thinner than you're thinking OP, and it works great. I've taken S30V, S60V and CPMD2 Millies even thinner 8-10 DPS + 15DPS microbevel is about what I put on my large folders.