Absolutely love the para 3, which makes me want a smaller manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slicydicey

Absolutely love the para 3, which makes me want a smaller manix 2

Post by Slicydicey »

I hesitated for a long time pulling the trigger on a para 3 but finally did as a 30th birthday gift to myself. I absolutely loved it the second I got my hands on it. Everything I like about the paramilitary 2 without the extra size which caused me to rarely carry it. I was so blown away by how muxh I like it that it got me thinking. If a smaller sized paramilitary 2 is this great how about another favourite knife I find a tad to big, the manix 2. Many will say the native 5 is basically a small manix and I would normally agree seeing as the native 5 is my most carried and favourite knife. Question is: will there ever be a smaller sized manix 2 or would that ruin everything that is so great about the manix 2?
My spydie history Blue DELICA ffg, Dragonfly Salt, Orange dragonfly 2,Tenacious, PM2, Orange DELICA, Manix 2 LW S110V, Native 5 LW, para 3, cutlery shoppe orange S90V LW Native 5, Native 5 Salt
Evil D

Re: Absolutely love the para 3, which makes me want a smaller manix 2

Post by Evil D »

It may not have the hype that the Para 3 has but it would probably sell. There have been a few modded/bobbed versions posted here that looked pretty sweet. Personally I'd rather they extended the whole thing a half inch more on the blade and handle without "XL'ing it", don't change anything except making the whole thing a half inch longer on each end.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=75209

this has come up before, I think on BF as well. But I for one would be interested in a 3" Manix2 with a CBBL, LW or G10.
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Slicydicey wrote:I hesitated for a long time pulling the trigger on a para 3 but finally did as a 30th birthday gift to myself. I absolutely loved it the second I got my hands on it. Everything I like about the paramilitary 2 without the extra size which caused me to rarely carry it. I was so blown away by how muxh I like it that it got me thinking. If a smaller sized paramilitary 2 is this great how about another favourite knife I find a tad to big, the manix 2. Many will say the native 5 is basically a small manix and I would normally agree seeing as the native 5 is my most carried and favourite knife. Question is: will there ever be a smaller sized manix 2 or would that ruin everything that is so great about the manix 2?

No, stop with this downsizing for the sake of downsizing and because you need to keep your retail therapy going. Tt makes Spyderco look like they've completely run out of ideas and are purely pandering to flippant hype generated by the forum echo-chamber. Stop.
Slicydicey

Post by Slicydicey »

tripscheck'em wrote:
Slicydicey wrote:I hesitated for a long time pulling the trigger on a para 3 but finally did as a 30th birthday gift to myself. I absolutely loved it the second I got my hands on it. Everything I like about the paramilitary 2 without the extra size which caused me to rarely carry it. I was so blown away by how muxh I like it that it got me thinking. If a smaller sized paramilitary 2 is this great how about another favourite knife I find a tad to big, the manix 2. Many will say the native 5 is basically a small manix and I would normally agree seeing as the native 5 is my most carried and favourite knife. Question is: will there ever be a smaller sized manix 2 or would that ruin everything that is so great about the manix 2?

No, stop with this downsizing for the sake of downsizing and because you need to keep your retail therapy going. Tt makes Spyderco look like they've completely run out of ideas and are purely pandering to flippant hype generated by the forum echo-chamber. Stop.
Haha well I understand where you are coming from but it might be a bit of a stretch to say downsizing for the sake of downsizing. Would you feel better with the request for a 3 inch blade using a ball bearing lock and ergonomics of say the manix 2 that is called something completely different.
My spydie history Blue DELICA ffg, Dragonfly Salt, Orange dragonfly 2,Tenacious, PM2, Orange DELICA, Manix 2 LW S110V, Native 5 LW, para 3, cutlery shoppe orange S90V LW Native 5, Native 5 Salt
attila

Post by attila »

tripscheck'em wrote:

The idea is to have a more compact CBBL knife. Spyderco has had plenty of innovative new designs to warrant more of the Lil'[knife] genre.

Perhaps we just need a new design that is </= 3" with a CBBL. It's such a great idea that I'm considering buying a G10 Manix just to shorten it, as I can't legally take my Manix LW to several cities/states I'll be visiting in the future.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Yes Please!

A CBBL that I an carry in sub 3" jurisdictions would be fantastic.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

tripscheck'em wrote:No, stop with this downsizing for the sake of downsizing
It's for the sake of travel (to places that won't allow the blade length on the standard M2). It's not just for the sake of downsizing.
loremipsum

Post by loremipsum »

The lil'Native (2.5"?) is releasing later this year, I am waiting for that as well.
dolor sit amet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tripscheck'em wrote:

Well, I'm with you in that I don't want a bunch of smaller knives, I have some and use some small knives but I don't need a happy little family of the same knife bobbed down to 3 different increments. But, that's just me, and I don't have to deal with blade length laws and I typically carry a Military everywhere I go. It's easy to forget there are lots of people who do have to live under really stupid blade length laws and those people are missing out on all the knives the rest of us enjoy. It's not a bad idea even from a business perspective to cater to those people.

And, the "flippant hype generating forum echo chamber" is arguably the best thing about Spyderco. They actually listen when people ask for things. I'd much rather see that than a company that doesn't give a **** about what their customers want. If you consider how ridiculously successful the Para 2 is, and then the fact that it was a forum request to make that knife, I'd say it's working.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Slicydicey

Post by Slicydicey »

loremipsum wrote:The lil'Native (2.5"?) is releasing later this year, I am waiting for that as well.

Is there any official pictures or specs on the lil native yet.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

attila wrote: The idea is to have a more compact CBBL knife. Spyderco has had plenty of innovative new designs to warrant more of the Lil'[knife] genre.

Perhaps we just need a new design that is </= 3" with a CBBL. It's such a great idea that I'm considering buying a G10 Manix just to shorten it, as I can't legally take my Manix LW to several cities/states I'll be visiting in the future.

Well said. Once the CBBL loosened up on my M2 LW, its become something of a favorite. This is probably the second 3" Manix 2 thread in a months time, so there's real interest here.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

tripscheck'em wrote:
Lighten up, Francis

StarLord

Post by StarLord »

I am absolutely in for a Manix 3!
loremipsum

Post by loremipsum »

Slicydicey wrote:
loremipsum wrote:The lil'Native (2.5"?) is releasing later this year, I am waiting for that as well.

Is there any official pictures or specs on the lil native yet.
No AFAIK. Can see the BladeHQ vid.
dolor sit amet
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

I would really like one. I would just hope the lanyard tube won't get in the way of the pocket clip like the para 3. Maybe even a wire clip, as I really like the one on my Mantra.