Your Favorite Obscure Spyder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Your Favorite Obscure Spyder

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
pete bogman wrote:Micro Dyad
I'm beginning to think that you can throw all of the Dyad models in that sector. It's truly only a cult following of really avid fans that care at all about any of the Dyad models :confused: I've thought for years that the concept of a premium double bladed folder with two edge types is really a super idea>> When I EDCed my C-44 Dyad I felt like I was actually carrying 3 to 4 knives with me. That's how much I thought of the big Dyad.

Actually Spyderco has more knives in obscurity than I had originally thought.
There is a Black MOP Micro Dyad that I've had my eye on since I started collecting Spydies. The very steep price is the only thing that has kept me from it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
pete bogman wrote:Micro Dyad
I'm beginning to think that you can throw all of the Dyad models in that sector. It's truly only a cult following of really avid fans that care at all about any of the Dyad models :confused: I've thought for years that the concept of a premium double bladed folder with two edge types is really a super idea>> When I EDCed my C-44 Dyad I felt like I was actually carrying 3 to 4 knives with me. That's how much I thought of the big Dyad.

Actually Spyderco has more knives in obscurity than I had originally thought.
There is a Black MOP Micro Dyad that I've had my eye on since I started collecting Spydies. The very steep price is the only thing that has kept me from it.
Those "Micro Dyads" are for sure in the "obscure sector" and they are about as rare and hidden as the colored C-36 Dyad Jr. models from way back in time.

Zrow I'm sort of surprised also that no one yet has mentioned anything with TEETH as being obscure :confused: For instance like the Micarta Caly Jr with TEETH or the C-60 Ayoob with TEETH. But I guess at least half of the DYAD models have TEETH on second thought :o
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

To me the one that qualifies is the Ulize.
Never seen one in person, never could handle one and prices in the secondary market are crazy right now.

I love its shape, specs, materials, lock, everything about it. I dream for a Sprint of that model, the perfect would be H1 or LC200N, SE and PE both.
That blade deserves teeth.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Shabaria. Herbst. Jester. Kopa.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bh49 wrote:Shabaria. Herbst. Jester. Kopa.
I can go for all of those except the JESTER>> because at one time there was a real love affair with the Ladybug & Jester models both. At one time I even had a Burgundy Micarta version of the Jester. There was a time that little devil was very popular. Yeah it's been a while but that one I wouldn't vote for the obscure section.

The Titanium Herbst which I had two at one time is probably about as rare as a hen's tooth as we speak. I wouldn't even know where to look for a Titanium handled, German made 440C Herbst model.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

The old JD Smith, hollow ground with micarta handles, feels long forgotten but it's a great knife. It got a sprint run a while back but the updated design features didn't do anything for me.

Not sure how obscure the Persian is or isn't to folks but it was one of the nicest looking knives Spyderco ever made in my opinion. Solid performer too.

The C25 and C50 were always personal favorites of mine.

I'll toss two stainless handled models in here as well - Scorpius and Adventura. The Scorpius had a really good handle design from Eric and a very useful blade. The Adventura was kinda funky but a nice piece overall.
~ Nate
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

The Rock Lobster was an interesting piece, I'd love to handle it sometime. And the Ethnic knives, especially the Pattada and Hungarian Folder always struck a cord in my heart.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Gayle Bradley Air
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Spin
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Any/All Kopas!!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

PPT Perrin is hands down my favorite. My favorite "obscure" Spydie and probably all time favorite Spydie!

Also, a big fan of the Lil' Lionspy and the Junior. Not sure if they'd cut it as obscure enough, but I still love those knives!
-Nick :bug-red
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JD Spydo wrote:
bh49 wrote:Shabaria. Herbst. Jester. Kopa.
I can go for all of those except the JESTER>> because at one time there was a real love affair with the Ladybug & Jester models both. At one time I even had a Burgundy Micarta version of the Jester. There was a time that little devil was very popular.
This is true, but it looks like it is completely forgotten now. And need to be re-discovered :cool:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Donut

Post by Donut »

I take a Dodo to the gym with me every time I go. That knife is super valuable to me.

It isn't for heavy use or easy to unlock, but it is very light and I feel like it can do a good job for things when you might really need a knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Funny what some folks think are obscure :) Guess I've been a spyder fan for too long, but many don't seem that long since disco'd. I'll go with Shabaria as an interesting design that I bought because it was unique more than any other reason.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jujigatame wrote:The old JD Smith, hollow ground with micarta handles, feels long forgotten but it's a great knife. It got a sprint run a while back but the updated design features didn't do anything for me.

Not sure how obscure the Persian is or isn't to folks but it was one of the nicest looking knives Spyderco ever made in my opinion. Solid performer too.

The C25 and C50 were always personal favorites of mine.

I'll toss two stainless handled models in here as well - Scorpius and Adventura. The Scorpius had a really good handle design from Eric and a very useful blade. The Adventura was kinda funky but a nice piece overall.
Well Brother I can't disagree with you on anything you mentioned. The JD Smith has such a huge cult following and a huge following among old school Spyder lovers like myself that a valid debate could be made. But the C-25 & C-50 both are true old school Hall Of Famers in my most humble opinion.

Personally I never liked the Scorpius but I guess you could say that's a "Ford vs Chevy" argument there. The Adventura I think would be an excellent Sprint Run with another handle material. I've always thought that the Adventura could have been a real popular blade with a G-10 handle.

The JD Smith has been in my personal top 10 for years now. How I would love to it return with one of the Supersteels.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Navigator and Ocelot. Still have the Ocelot.
benben

Post by benben »

I would say my Wegner Jr. falls into the obscure territory. It was only made two years, 1997 & 1998. It's a great little knife! I'm sure there's tons of non-knife people who still know or recognize the Spyderco name, but I'll guarantee they've never heard of Tim Wegner!
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I too find the older models more to my liking. My wife still carries a Mouse, I like the feel of a Captain and the Venator.
jdw

Post by jdw »

J32A2 wrote:Cranberry Lum.
That's extremely cool. The Lum Chinese is one of my favorite designs. It is just an incredible slicer and I think an under-rated EDC. I have heard and read about the Cranberry Lum but I always thought that it existed somewhere between unicorns and fairy land.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Qcrazy wrote:I too find the older models more to my liking. My wife still carries a Mouse, I like the feel of a Captain and the Venator.
This is what I've dying to hear :cool: Someone who carries, EDCs an obscure Spyder(s). And they don't get much more obscure than those 3 models you just mentioned ;)

I would think the ladies would rave about that old MOUSE model. It not only would be an excellent small bladed model in very restrictive legal environments but again it would be an excellent model for the girls especially.

If they would ever reintroduce that Captain model with the inner arch part in Spyderedge I would be the first in line to get one.

This thread has been far more productive than I thought it would. It just goes to show that I'm not the only citizen of Spyderville that tends to gravitate toward the "old school' Spyders :cool: