Your Favorite Obscure Spyder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Your Favorite Obscure Spyder

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco has more than their fair share of iconic, popular models that are almost household names like the Police, Military, Delica, Endura ect,. But Spyderco also has many past models that only the most ardent fan even is aware of>> models that are really faded into the woodwork so to speak. Models like the D'Alton Holder TOAD model, The MADDOX, The SPOT and the list goes on.

Some of the obscure models happen to be some of my sentimental favorites. One model I've always liked and would like to see a Sprint run is the SPUR model. One little known Hawkbill is the MERLIN. There is also a model that was well loved at one point that has faded into obscurity and that is the OCELOT model.

Other obscure models that I like are the C-25 Centofante, The ZOWADA and the Breeden RESCUE just to name a few. So what are some of your favorite Obscure Spyders?
bearfacedkiller

Re: Your Favorite Obscure Spyder

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am gonna say Cricket. While it is still in production and has been for quite a while that unique little guy never gets mentioned much.

I LOVE the R model in Nishijin that I have. The design is excellent for me. I never had either of the originals but would like to see a G10 sprint of it happen. Maybe HAP40? Maybe ZDP? Sounds good to me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
illacky

Post by illacky »

I’m far and away not an expert on this subject. A friend of mine at one point in his life was a butterfly knife fan. He was showing me his butterfly knives one day and knowing that I was a Spyderco fan he pulled out a Spyderfly and proceeded to tell me it was kind of a joke and it was a cheap piece he didn’t really care about. I was in disbelief. He was equally in disbelief when I explained how valuable it was.

Not sure if the Spyderfly qualifies as an obscure piece, but it is the most obscure I’ve encountered and handled; therefore my favorite :)
-Ivan
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Rock Lobster
Junior
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

CF Balance
Nilakka
Heck just about all the ethnics
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Kris
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

illacky wrote:I’m far and away not an expert on this subject. A friend of mine at one point in his life was a butterfly knife fan. He was showing me his butterfly knives one day and knowing that I was a Spyderco fan he pulled out a Spyderfly and proceeded to tell me it was kind of a joke and it was a cheap piece he didn’t really care about. I was in disbelief. He was equally in disbelief when I explained how valuable it was.

Not sure if the Spyderfly qualifies as an obscure piece, but it is the most obscure I’ve encountered and handled; therefore my favorite :)
Actually there's a case to be made that all of the Spyderco Butterfly/balisong type knives qualify for "obscurity" because they've all been out of production for some time now and none of them were very big at the box office at all from what I can remember of them.

Now the SzaboFly was probably the most obscure of all of them with the possibly exception of that really small butterfly knife they had and I believe it was called the SmallFly if my memory serves me well. There was a small batch of those Spyderfly models with VG-10 and the remainder of them were made in 440C>> or I might just have it the other way around. And forgive me if I do because I'm not much of a fan of butterfly knives at all.

But that one really small one I bet would be nearly impossible to find>> because I don't believe it was even in the main line up for more than 6 months or so. That SzaboFly would probably fetch a huge price if you could even find one.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:Kris
There's no argument that the KRIS is definitely one that qualifies as an Obscure Spyder :cool: and a highly coveted one at that :cool:

Of all the recurve type designs I would have to say that the KRIS and the SPYKER ( which also qualifies as obscure) are my two favs in that category.

You might as well throw the ZULU in there while you're at it ;)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Kris every time. It needs a sprint.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

C-25 Centofante and CX02GP G10 Navigator. Wish I'd picked up a full sized C-50 Centofante in CPM 440V, when they were being closed out

I own both the SE and PE versions of the D' Alton Holder Toad, but they're not the most useful knives in my collection.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dsvirsky wrote:C-25 Centofante and CX02GP G10 Navigator. Wish I'd picked up a full sized C-50 Centofante in CPM 440V, when they were being closed out

I own both the SE and PE versions of the D' Alton Holder Toad, but they're not the most useful knives in my collection.
Well "dsvirsky" I couldn't agree with you more on that C-50 Centofante. That's probably my most sought after old school Spyder with the possible exception of an extra Spyderedged C-60 Ayoob model which I've not had any luck finding either :(

That C-50 reminded me of one of my all time favorite knife designs which was Benchmades Boguszewski Spike model. Actually I liked the handle on the C-50 a bit better and I wish I had it in PE & SE both. It was truly one of the very best out of the ATS-34 Era. And it has certainly faded into obscurity.

I guess you could also say at this point that the Ayoob model is quickly fading into obscurity>> unless we can get Spyderco to do another Sprint Run soon. But forget even asking them to do a Sprint Run of the C-50 because Sal Glesser himself stated that all of the tooling for that model is gone unfortunately. It's so sad too because it was a GOLDEN, CO USA Earth model as well as being in the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS 1998-2003.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
dsvirsky wrote:C-25 Centofante and CX02GP G10 Navigator. Wish I'd picked up a full sized C-50 Centofante in CPM 440V, when they were being closed out

Well "dsvirsky" I couldn't agree with you more on that C-50 Centofante. That's probably my most sought after old school Spyder with the possible exception of an extra Spyderedged C-60 Ayoob model which I've not had any luck finding either :(

That C-50 reminded me of one of my all time favorite knife designs which was Benchmades Boguszewski Spike model. Actually I liked the handle on the C-50 a bit better and I wish I had it in PE & SE both. It was truly one of the very best out of the ATS-34 Era. And it has certainly faded into obscurity.

I guess you could also say at this point that the Ayoob model is quickly fading into obscurity>> unless we can get Spyderco to do another Sprint Run soon. But forget even asking them to do a Sprint Run of the C-50 because Sal Glesser himself stated that all of the tooling for that model is gone unfortunately. It's so sad too because it was a GOLDEN, CO USA Earth model as well as being in the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS 1998-2003.
+ 1000 on the C50. Oh my, yes. This is hands down one of my favorites. Would love to see a rebirth of this design in any configuration of materials.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Runner up: The Rhino. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Only recently discontinued, but I don't know anyone who carries one, so I'm going with...

...the Szabo folder.

Incredible ergonomics for my big hands, a nice and thin point, my favorite stock carbon fiber scales from spyderco, and a unique implementation of the compression lock.

It gives my Police 3 a run for favorite big Spyderco...
pete bogman

Post by pete bogman »

Micro Dyad
illacky

Post by illacky »

This topic is great for researching models I didn’t even know existed... Now I just need to stay away from the secondary market :eek:
-Ivan
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Ti ATR, and Spyderfly.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Cranberry Lum.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

For me I would like to find a NIB Mule in K390. I like the one I have so much I would like to find another one.
My favorite edc knife knife in an especially great steel.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

pete bogman wrote:Micro Dyad
I'm beginning to think that you can throw all of the Dyad models in that sector. It's truly only a cult following of really avid fans that care at all about any of the Dyad models :confused: I've thought for years that the concept of a premium double bladed folder with two edge types is really a super idea>> When I EDCed my C-44 Dyad I felt like I was actually carrying 3 to 4 knives with me. That's how much I thought of the big Dyad.

Actually Spyderco has more knives in obscurity than I had originally thought.