Military CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hoghunter82

Military CQI

Post by hoghunter82 »

About to pull the trigger on a Military but want to know if the CQI is worth the $ difference versus a standard S30V model. Am I correct in my understanding that the CQI Millie's only come in the BladeHQ & KnifeWorks exclusive runs (I'm not including the TI models cause they are out of my $ range). Any feedback is appreciated.
Evil D

Re: Military CQI

Post by Evil D »

My understanding is this is a rolling change for all Military models. What $30 difference are you referring to?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hoghunter82

Post by hoghunter82 »

Evil D wrote:My understanding is this is a rolling change for all Military models. What $30 difference are you referring to?
The only 2 enhanced models I'm aware of for general purchase are the BladeHQ M4 & the Knifeworks CTS204P. I'm leaning towards the Knifeworks model- but again I don't know if the improvements on either of these is worth the extra $ from that standard S30V models without some of the the CQI enhancements. Are there others I'm not aware of that are readily available?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hoghunter82 wrote:
Evil D wrote:My understanding is this is a rolling change for all Military models. What $30 difference are you referring to?
The only 2 enhanced models I'm aware of for general purchase are the BladeHQ M4 & the Knifeworks CTS204P. I'm leaning towards the Knifeworks model- but again I don't know if the improvements on either of these is worth the extra $ from that standard S30V models without some of the the CQI enhancements. Are there others I'm not aware of that are readily available?
Well you're getting a lot more than just CQI changes, you're also getting an exclusive limited production knife with far better steel. For $30 it's absolutely worth the difference IMO.
~David
hoghunter82

Post by hoghunter82 »

Evil D wrote:
hoghunter82 wrote:
Well you're getting a lot more than just CQI changes, you're also getting an exclusive limited production knife with far better steel. For $30 it's absolutely worth the difference IMO.
Thanks, David. I'm not a collector- I'm a user of knives so the collectibility isn't even part of my decision. It would seem like the non-torx stop pin seems like a nice upgrade along with larger hardware & no backspaces seems nice. That $199 price tag is steep though...
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

hoghunter82 wrote:
Evil D wrote:My understanding is this is a rolling change for all Military models. Are there others I'm not aware of that are readily available?
HH soon, check out the 2017 catalogue. All include the upgrades and should be the standard from what I understand... Great knife and recent upgrades. That floater stop pin performs perfectly. Not that the older versions don't, but that fixed pin cleans up past alignment some peeps were having.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hoghunter82 wrote: Thanks, David. I'm not a collector- I'm a user of knives so the collectibility isn't even part of my decision. It would seem like the non-torx stop pin seems like a nice upgrade along with larger hardware & no backspaces seems nice. That $199 price tag is steep though...

Same here, but the steel is definitely something to consider. Do some research on S30V vs 204P and see what you find.
~David
hoghunter82

Post by hoghunter82 »

Thanks guys for the comments. I'll check with BladeHQ & KnifeWorks to see if the standard S30V they have in stock has all of the CQI enhancements. I want a good Steel but for my usage I'm not sure if I could actually tell the difference. Thanks again for sharing your insight. Still leaning towards getting the KW exclusive in G10 green.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

hoghunter82 wrote:I'll check with BladeHQ & KnifeWorks to see if the standard S30V they have in stock has all of the CQI enhancements. I want a good Steel but for my usage I'm not sure if I could actually tell the difference. Thanks again for sharing your insight. Still leaning towards getting the KW exclusive in G10 green.
Great choice CTS204P over the standard S30V if the steel is what you are after. :) hands down well worth the diff in price IMO....
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have a S30V with the screwed stop pin and spacer I also have a 204P and S110V.

There's nothing wrong with the S30V but it feels a little sluggish in opening compared to the other two.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Bloke wrote:I have a S30V with the screwed stop pin and spacer I also have a 204P and S110V.

There's nothing wrong with the S30V but it feels a little sluggish in opening compared to the other two.

Well said Bloke! Agreed especially over some of the earlier versions that really need to be tweaked as they become older and/or after tear down. That stop pin cleans up all the past alignment, binding and occasional lock issues. I have yet to tear into the newer ones I own, but they are all flawless. My fav, while more expensive, is the S90V CF/TI. I'm impressed to say the least.
FK

Post by FK »

The standard regular production S110V is also CQI.
All of my CQI are ultra smooth and very much worth the small increase in cost.

My present collection:
CQI design:
CTS-204P
CPM-M4
CPM-S110V

Earlier design:
Cru-wear
CTS-XHP

I previously owned four with CPM-440V (S60V) from the late 1990's era design.

Really like a few drops of Nano-Oil in the washers to smooth out the action.

Regards,
FK
Last edited by FK on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

The GQI is nice, makes the blades smoother. The CPM M4 is worth the upgrade. Use some mineral oil or Tuf Cloth and corrosion won't be a problem for most. Takes a better edge with much higher wear resistance and better toughness the S30V. One of my favorite steels in my Spydercos.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have quite a few Militaries and two of them are the newer CQI versions. All the upgrades are great but I still carry my Cruwear Military more than the rest.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
hoghunter82

Post by hoghunter82 »

Thanks guys. I've checked with a couple authorized dealers & the only CQI Millies they have are the exclusive runs. On Spyderco's website the pics look as if the standard camo Millies in S30V have the CQI upgrades. If you buy direct from Spyderco (at a much high price) will the standard run Millies have the CQI updates? I tried to call Spyderco but they were already closed.
reallyreallybigman

Post by reallyreallybigman »

What exactly are the upgrades over last year's model?
EDIT: Referring to the plain Jane S30V models, I mean. Are the CQIs applied to the "base" model or are the premium steel versions the only ones that get the CQI upgrades?

Still unsure of exactly how these CQIs are applied to any given Spydie model without it actually becoming a model 2 type of affair.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Its my understanding that all (go forward models) will have the new CQI upgrades. If you look at the 2017 catalogue, it shows all with the upgrades going forward. I'm assuming that over time, all the dealers with have them in stock.

Maybe we can get someone to pipe in that truly knows?
hoghunter82

Post by hoghunter82 »

When I call Spyderco tomorrow I'll ask them. Agreed that the '17 catalog shows all the new CQI upgrades across the board on the standard model. Doesn't seem like dealers have any of the standard S30V models with all of the CQI. This is why I was asking about buying directly from Spyderco. Curious if you buy a standard directly from Spyderco that it will come with all the enhancements. I do also wonder when authorized dealers will have the standard Millies with the CQI.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

hoghunter82 wrote:When I call Spyderco tomorrow I'll ask them. Agreed that the '17 catalog shows all the new CQI upgrades across the board on the standard model. Doesn't seem like dealers have any of the standard S30V models with all of the CQI. This is why I was asking about buying directly from Spyderco. Curious if you buy a standard directly from Spyderco that it will come with all the enhancements. I do also wonder when authorized dealers will have the standard Millies with the CQI.
Sweet, looking forward to what they say. please post back? :cool:
anycal

Post by anycal »

Yes, that will be interesting information.

But, buying from Spyderco, if MSRP is the price, you are looking at $100 more for the base model. At that price, why wouldn't you just get the known CQI models, like the S110V or M4.
Peter